Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: March 31st Outbreak  (Read 24012 times)

Offline JKT1987

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: March 31st Outbreak
« Reply #495 on: April 05, 2023, 02:08:31 PM »
Have a feeling btw that the reason we haven’t got the detailed survey for the Wynne tornado is because they are still trying to determine if the path did go continuously into those SW Tipton damage points or if there were breaks and separate paths.

Offline JKT1987

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #496 on: April 05, 2023, 06:35:07 PM »
Won't quote the whole thing but here is the full PNS from MEG with all of the tornado survey results (Don't know if this is final I suspect a few smaller tornadoes could still be found in days ahead)

https://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KMEG/2304052235.nous44.html

Bottom Line... 14 tornadoes in total. 3 EF-3 and 5 EF-2. The Wynne tornado DID track continuous into SW Tipton County no separate track there. Total path length 73 miles and just under a mile wide at peak. Covington tornado was nearly 40 miles long and over a mile at peak. McNairy-Lewis tornado at 85 miles.

Looks like one Lee County MS tornado got upgraded to EF-2, along with Pontotoc and Tunica/Desoto County, and a new EF-2 added in Hardeman County. There was also the second McNairy-Hardin tornado that was EF-2.

Of note the survey does indicate that as the first tornado was weakening and then dissipated in Tipton County, the new one had already developed NW of Munford, so there was for at least a few minutes 2 tornadoes simultaneously in the county.

Offline Hank W

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Romans 8:28
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1303
« Reply #497 on: April 05, 2023, 09:27:02 PM »
I knew that cell put down something in Desoto, but it must of been mostly rural because I have not heard about any damage here. 
It is interesting a Tornado Emergency never was issued considering the EF2 rating, granted that area would about be the most rural area of Desoto county at this point.
With your comments on TV mets, its sad WREG has gone so low, they use to be top of market IMO but I think DB retiring allowed Ron to really take WMC  in its own direction.  That said I don't watch the TV any more at all during these events, I am just on here (the forum), the SPC MD page, and Radarscope if I am mobile or GRL-3 on my PC.  I will check twitter for news further away. I listen to the WeatherBrains podcast and I am with James Spann - TV mets are dying breed in most markets.  This has positives and negatives.

It’s quite a mess out in the Arkabutla area. Talked to a lady yesterday who showed me some pictures and lost all of their trees and their roof. Said the whole neighborhood is a mess and insurance is fighting all of them. She was emotional. I really feel for people who have dealt with it all.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 922
« Reply #498 on: April 06, 2023, 02:30:55 AM »
Won't quote the whole thing but here is the full PNS from MEG with all of the tornado survey results (Don't know if this is final I suspect a few smaller tornadoes could still be found in days ahead)

https://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KMEG/2304052235.nous44.html

Bottom Line... 14 tornadoes in total. 3 EF-3 and 5 EF-2. The Wynne tornado DID track continuous into SW Tipton County no separate track there. Total path length 73 miles and just under a mile wide at peak. Covington tornado was nearly 40 miles long and over a mile at peak. McNairy-Lewis tornado at 85 miles.

Looks like one Lee County MS tornado got upgraded to EF-2, along with Pontotoc and Tunica/Desoto County, and a new EF-2 added in Hardeman County. There was also the second McNairy-Hardin tornado that was EF-2.

Of note the survey does indicate that as the first tornado was weakening and then dissipated in Tipton County, the new one had already developed NW of Munford, so there was for at least a few minutes 2 tornadoes simultaneously in the county.
I actually posted a CC scan I captured of the two at once in Tipton County. All hell was breaking loose so I doubt many noticed.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #499 on: April 06, 2023, 03:29:18 PM »
It’s quite a mess out in the Arkabutla area. Talked to a lady yesterday who showed me some pictures and lost all of their trees and their roof. Said the whole neighborhood is a mess and insurance is fighting all of them. She was emotional. I really feel for people who have dealt with it all.

Thanks for the notes! Hopefully the insurance companies will cooperate more now that there is an official tornado report.  If that cell got it's act together it could of been a much bigger deal moving into more densely populated areas of Desoto county.  Memphis metro in general continues it's lucky streak with just a couple of glancing blows with this system.

May 2024
by stayrose38
[Today at 02:34:56 AM]
Memorial Day Weekend Severe Weather Threat 2024
by StormNine
[Yesterday at 02:03:57 PM]