Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 21' - 22' Snowmaking Season  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 304
21' - 22' Snowmaking Season
« on: January 08, 2022, 09:35:07 AM »
Hey guys I have been working on several setups to blow snow when temperature allow. The last storm we had here gave me a chance to really put it to the test. Achieving 2.8GPM I was about to make about 3" of snow /hr over a 20x50' area. With the ability to run 8GPM I will be able to make about 6-8" per hr over the same area. A good 24' hour snowmaking round and I am able to crease a solid snowfield. I plan to covered my entire year next cold snap with at least 6" of snow and create a huge snow "whale". Should this system work I will continue to progress and even offer it as a service for people who want a snow day and can throw some cash out.  The HOA can pay to have a area covered with snow and a neighborhood party. Temperatures are tricky and I really need a solid 22-24F wet bulb to really start making good production. I Was able to make snow  with a wetbulb around 26F but it was pretty wet and ratios were poor. Its all about the wet bulb temp, water temp, and air temp coming out of the gun. Out west we use ponds with aerators that keep the water about 32-34F and once it hits the head its just above 32F @ 3200psi. I am using a 85psi through my Nuck but the air is pretty warm coming out of the compressor. Also our tap water temps here are only in the upper 40s if not in the 50's. I need to take another temp after cold snap. I have been working on a way to run my water source through a cold trap to bring down the temp. I am using a short airline so that it does not freeze. However I think increasing it a bit more to '25 will allow for some air to cool before entering . Its a lot of small stuff to figure out but its not rocket science. I have a setup that I can link 4 water pumps ( Pressure washers ) together . Getting the waterflow and overall flow rates correct is the biggest part. A cold month would be great for testing but so far I have only had 3-4 nights where I could really get some data. Thursday night the wetbulb was at 16F and I was cranking hard. Anyways if anyone wants to come chck it out or talk more about how you can do this two ( i could use a partner in crime) hit me up.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: 21' - 22' Snowmaking Season
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 10:06:57 AM »
You’re nuts.

I love it.

If you pull that off, such a novelty ought to make the local news.

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 10:33:23 AM »
Didnt Mempho have a snow gun setup for a while?

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 07:59:37 PM »
Bill Hall would definitely have done an on-the-scene report on this back in the day --- and loved it.

I miss him.
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 08:58:16 PM »
You’re nuts.

I love it.

If you pull that off, such a novelty ought to make the local news.

Next cold snap with no moisture I plan on doing just so! Gota make the news before the Winters end. haha

Offline dapig

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 11:12:28 PM »
Snow making is addictive we did several winters when the kids were little. What kind of gun are you using? We had a snow at home clone. Mounted on a trailer with generator air compressor and pressure washer. We would just drag it around the yard. We toyed with the idea of pumping from our pond and running 3 or 4 guns or attempting to make a mini fan gun.

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 849
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 07:38:25 AM »
Didnt Mempho have a snow gun setup for a while?
Yes!  See my profile pic!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 03:50:39 PM »
Hey guys looks like 2 really good days coming up to make snow. The goal is to lay down a 12-18" base in my yard. Snow Water content heavy to keep it around awhile. The last snow I made during the 2nd storm we had made it almost 5 days and through a day of rain. So I plan on going hard as long as everything stays running. Dow dewpoints are going to be most excellante as well as wet bulbs should drop into the mid teens which will be perfect. I am running 3 pressure washer this go around for 3.5GPM of flow which should be good for 2-3" per hour depending on conditions. I did see winds do pick up a little which is a huge killer in the snowmaking world. If anyone local has a electric power washer they dont need I could use another one. I'll give beer and laughs. If anyone wants to come check it out hmu.

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 03:55:49 PM »
Snow making is addictive we did several winters when the kids were little. What kind of gun are you using? We had a snow at home clone. Mounted on a trailer with generator air compressor and pressure washer. We would just drag it around the yard. We toyed with the idea of pumping from our pond and running 3 or 4 guns or attempting to make a mini fan gun.

For the head I am using Forecaster and then running a quad train setup.

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 09:34:39 PM »
A winter storm comes in the morning. Just hope the wind doesnt F with me. Should be some really good times to blow.

https://www.snowathome.com/weather/#KTNNASHV1

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 849
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 04:39:08 AM »
Hey guys looks like 2 really good days coming up to make snow. The goal is to lay down a 12-18" base in my yard. Snow Water content heavy to keep it around awhile. The last snow I made during the 2nd storm we had made it almost 5 days and through a day of rain. So I plan on going hard as long as everything stays running. Dow dewpoints are going to be most excellante as well as wet bulbs should drop into the mid teens which will be perfect. I am running 3 pressure washer this go around for 3.5GPM of flow which should be good for 2-3" per hour depending on conditions. I did see winds do pick up a little which is a huge killer in the snowmaking world. If anyone local has a electric power washer they dont need I could use another one. I'll give beer and laughs. If anyone wants to come check it out hmu.
The density of man-made snow is going to be about triple the average natural snow.

In fact, what fell here this past weekend reminded me of it.

What kind of compressor are you running?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 09:45:39 AM »
Quote from: mempho link=topic=4086.msg269113
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk#msg269113 date=1642675148
The density of man-made snow is going to be about triple the average natural snow.

In fact, what fell here this past weekend reminded me of it.

What kind of compressor are you running?

Snowmaking has been going well this morning. I am using a ridged compressor. It has been able to keep up and supply 90psi of air. Wind is making things hard right now. Hopefully that will die off soon or I am going to shut it down tillt he evening.

May 2022
by Dyersburg Weather
[Yesterday at 07:46:59 PM]
2022 Tropical Season
by dwagner88
[Yesterday at 01:55:57 PM]
Cinco de Mayo Severe Risk
by dwagner88
[May 06, 2022, 02:54:51 PM]
April 2022
by StormNine
[May 01, 2022, 06:08:20 PM]