Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mothers Day Severe Threat  (Read 1938 times)

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 198
Re: Mothers Day Severe Threat
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 05:25:38 PM »
That setup that Kevin mentioned is the same setup that produced 11 EF-0 tornadoes in Northern Middle TN on Tuesday morning.  The intersection of a storm with an outflow boundary.   

Offline Navywxman

• Derecho
  • US Navy meteorologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2021, 05:25:48 PM »
I’m surprised they haven’t updated the warning because the CC drop has been VERY evident the last couple scans and it matched with highest reflectivity & the velocity couplet. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Navywxman

• Derecho
  • US Navy meteorologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 05:26:48 PM »
They literally popped it as “emergency management confirmed” as I typed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1057
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2021, 11:22:23 PM »
Was there a tornado in Munford TN today?  I just saw a video of one?

Offline byrdymush

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 04:13:45 AM »
Was there a tornado in Munford TN today?  I just saw a video of one?
There was. I saw it on radar (I had been watching it for about 20 minutes) long before the tornado warning was issued but thought I was crazy because nobody else was saying anything about it - not here, not on local news, not from NWS Memphis. When it started looking like tighter rotation on velocity and cc picked up a debris ball, I readied the family (we are in Atoka) and headed to the garage (where our in-ground storm shelter is). A few minutes later, tornado warning popped. We watched out the garage windows before climbing into the spider-hole...that I’d not cleaned out in Evan Evan because I wasn’t expecting to need it.
I have screenshots of radar (reflectivity and velocity) back to about 4:30pm when I first started watching it. Had tighter rotation around 5:02pm. Tornado warning issued at 5:11pm. I played and replayed the archival loop afterward and it seems like NWS dropped the ball a little bit on this one, honestly. They were distracted by the cell in Tunica, MS no doubt.

Offline JKT1987

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 08:52:24 AM »
I don’t think there’s any question MEG was late yesterday. Why exactly…. I’m not sure and I’m sure they will be looking into it internally in the days to come. However the absolute vitriol I’ve seen on social media (not here) since has been completely disgusting. Accounts being created specifically to attack specific MEG employees through their Twitter accounts and reply with vulgar language so I won’t repost them here.

A lot of 16 year olds out there on Twitter that think they are smarter and better than the NWS and it’s gotten out of hand. Yes there was a mistake yesterday and MEG isn’t immune to criticism and I’m sure they are well aware there was a misstep. But the vitriol is pretty unbelievable.

That said…. While the storm was aloft showing some broad rotation through about 5:00… and wa approaching that leftover OFB. I wasn’t too concerned yet about it. It was around 5:00 when it became clear the rotation was tightening and there may be an issue. Even so…. CC was messy and noisy being near the radar site so it was tough to confirm via that at first. I posted at 5:06 that something may be going on and it was the following scan where the TDS became clear when I made that followup post.

The TOR was still about 3-4 minutes from being issued which yes was long but do keep in mind those can’t be issued in 10 seconds either. Obviously ideally I think it should have gone about 5:00-5:05 then upgraded to TORR at 5:11 when the actual warning came out. Something again I’m confident MEG will be reviewing and doesn’t need constant Twitter harassment to take care of….

Offline byrdymush

• Sunny
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 08:56:11 AM »
I don’t think there’s any question MEG was late yesterday. Why exactly…. I’m not sure and I’m sure they will be looking into it internally in the days to come. However the absolute vitriol I’ve seen on social media (not here) since has been completely disgusting. Accounts being created specifically to attack specific MEG employees through their Twitter accounts and reply with vulgar language so I won’t repost them here.

A lot of 16 year olds out there on Twitter that think they are smarter and better than the NWS and it’s gotten out of hand. Yes there was a mistake yesterday and MEG isn’t immune to criticism and I’m sure they are well aware there was a misstep. But the vitriol is pretty unbelievable.

Whoa! I had no idea! That is awful!!!
I will say, it’s not the first time we’ve been seemingly ignored though. It’s why I got involved in all this - because I didn’t feel I could trust the experts to have their eyes everywhere all the time. They’re human, not knocking them. But maybe this is the time to advocate for more funding and staffing of NWS, not bashing them. So sad.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
Something came through my in-laws' farm in Lafayette Co, MS, between Oxford and Abbeville. They're calling it a tornado. There was a family gathering when they heard it and scrambled to take shelter in the bathroom. Numerous trees are down, even big oaks apparently. A nearby neighbor's and a relative's house were both damaged with trees on roofs. The cell was tornado-warned at the time, but I can't vouch for any signatures in that area or whether storm surveys will assess tornado or significant straight-line winds in that area.

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2373
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 12:08:06 PM »
Whoa! I had no idea! That is awful!!!
I will say, it’s not the first time we’ve been seemingly ignored though. It’s why I got involved in all this - because I didn’t feel I could trust the experts to have their eyes everywhere all the time. They’re human, not knocking them. But maybe this is the time to advocate for more funding and staffing of NWS, not bashing them. So sad.

Speaking of which, we had one member mention the SPC shall be defunded after "botching" the 3/25 tornado outbreak because there were no major tornadoes in Tennessee after forecasting a high risk. This real-time event yesterday was a different ballgame, of course, and it did appear someone was slacking somewhere. But we'll have to accept the general public doesn't understand that predicting how the atmosphere is going to behave is hard.

Anger runs rampant today, exacerbated by the instant gratification of social media. People think they have an intellectual advantage over qualified persons because they challenge their work with no basis.

"You're wrong, and that's because I say so."
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »
Speaking of which, we had one member mention the SPC shall be defunded after "botching" the 3/25 tornado outbreak because there were no major tornadoes in Tennessee after forecasting a high risk. This real-time event yesterday was a different ballgame, of course, and it did appear someone was slacking somewhere. But we'll have to accept the general public doesn't understand that predicting how the atmosphere is going to behave is hard.

Anger runs rampant today, exacerbated by the instant gratification of social media. People think they have an intellectual advantage over qualified persons because they challenge their work with no basis.

"You're wrong, and that's because I say so."

I remember people sending hate messages to the school board in Christian County KY on 3/2/2012 because we didn't get a tornado. 

One comment was and I am not kidding, "My house didn't get hit by a tornado so why did you early release the students"?

This past Feb, I got several negative comments because some people only got 3-4 inches of snow instead of the forecast of 6-10 inches.  You would have thought that I committed a felony against them.     

I cannot imagine the criticism for the National Weather Service or TV broadcast stations. 

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2021, 07:07:00 PM »
The Munford, TN tornado was rated an EF-1. 

Offline byrdymush

• Sunny
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2021, 07:36:39 PM »
I remember people sending hate messages to the school board in Christian County KY on 3/2/2012 because we didn't get a tornado. 

One comment was and I am not kidding, "My house didn't get hit by a tornado so why did you early release the students"?

This past Feb, I got several negative comments because some people only got 3-4 inches of snow instead of the forecast of 6-10 inches.  You would have thought that I committed a felony against them.     

I cannot imagine the criticism for the National Weather Service or TV broadcast stations.
That is absolutely terrible. The world sucks sometimes.

Offline byrdymush

• Sunny
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2021, 07:39:53 PM »
The Munford, TN tornado was rated an EF-1.
This is the most real and closest anything has ever come to us (in Atoka). Had it held together, it would have hit the neighborhood n Munford where we have a rental property (that we plan to sell next month!), just south of Valentine Park. Aye.
Eventful evening and day for this area, for sure. It’s not often anything comes to fruition because, you know, “the river/the bluffs usually kills everything”.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2021, 08:11:58 AM »
The area where my wife is from in MS made the news at WREG in Memphis.

In fact, Reed Davis, the one interviewed in this story and toward the end of the video, is my wife's cousin.

https://wreg.com/news/mississippi-families-feel-lucky-after-powerful-storm-sweeps-through-lafayette-county/

I've seen the pig named Kevin Bacon.  :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:13:46 AM by Thundersnow »

June 2021
by dwagner88
[Yesterday at 10:10:28 PM]
2021 Tropical Season
by cgauxknox
[Yesterday at 04:39:48 PM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by snowdog
[June 11, 2021, 09:10:35 PM]
River Runner