Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 5/4/21 Hailer  (Read 4458 times)

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 209
Re: 5/4/21 Hailer
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2021, 01:01:40 PM »
Recorded 2.95" of rain yesterday.  It was welcome moisture.  I had barely over an inch of rain in April, so that made up some of the deficit.
  We likewise received almost nothing last month until the final week. We have picked up nearly four inches of rain since last Wednesday.  I feel like I'm in the Pacific Northwest moving my decades-old houseplants out of the greenhouse today.  Maybe I can get Sasquatch to help with the lifting.
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2021, 02:49:45 PM »
I love hearing everybody's opinion on things like this, for me I had a hard time thinking that March 2020 was an outbreak because it was just One lone supercell dropping tornadoes instead of multiple storms, but the more I look at it the more I think I might be starting to change my mind on that one

That's different. If it truly is a single supercell and no other tornadoes occurred, I don't know that it would be called an "outbreak" per se. I don't recall if there were other tornadoes from that night in March 2020 when the MidTN I-40 corridor supercell occurred. If there were a single tornado, then I think you would refer to the XYZ "tornado" of [date], rather than, say, XYZ "outbreak." Technically, that long track supercell that night did drop separate tracks, simply because it wasn't on the ground the whole stretch of the cell's path. In that sense, it was multiple. Debatable, I guess.

As for this week's event, here was was a situation with multiple cells dropping multiple tornadoes, even though most were weak. I have no trouble referring to it as an outbreak.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 02:51:58 PM by Thundersnow »

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2021, 03:19:47 PM »
That's different. If it truly is a single supercell and no other tornadoes occurred, I don't know that it would be called an "outbreak" per se. I don't recall if there were other tornadoes from that night in March 2020 when the MidTN I-40 corridor supercell occurred. If there were a single tornado, then I think you would refer to the XYZ "tornado" of [date], rather than, say, XYZ "outbreak." Technically, that long track supercell that night did drop separate tracks, simply because it wasn't on the ground the whole stretch of the cell's path. In that sense, it was multiple. Debatable, I guess.

As for this week's event, here was was a situation with multiple cells dropping multiple tornadoes, even though most were weak. I have no trouble referring to it as an outbreak.

I can see that being accurate for sure... I usually think of outbreak as 20 or more in a 150 mile radius but that's just the way I think and maybe after more reports come in there will be more to show up . I have never seen an actual definition of an outbreak , Interesting discussion points :)
Gotta love the weather !

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2021, 04:16:49 PM »
I usually think of outbreak as 20 or more in a 150 mile radius

Yeah- I don't think there's a technical definition. That's why I think we're overthinking this a bit.  ;)

There are specific criteria that have to be met for terms such as hurricane categories, tornado fujita scale ratings, and even severe storm criteria. The word "outbreak" is not one of those technical meteorological terms.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 198
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2021, 04:53:54 PM »
Yeah- I don't think there's a technical definition. That's why I think we're overthinking this a bit.  ;)

There are specific criteria that have to be met for terms such as hurricane categories, tornado fujita scale ratings, and even severe storm criteria. The word "outbreak" is not one of those technical meteorological terms.

I would probably use the term localized outbreak or regional outbreak.  The same storm system did produce tornadoes in TX and then again later on so I wouldn't have a problem calling the whole system an outbreak. 

We also need to consider that we probably had a few events prior to 2000 that were probably very similar to this last one, but the tornadoes didn't get surveyed either due to not having the radar technology or the NWS offices not prioritizing surveying every time Johnny's barn got blown over.

I can think of similar events like 5/14/1995 or the West Virginia Derecho of April 1991 as events that likely had a lot of missed EF0/EF1 tornadoes.   

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2021, 04:58:19 PM »
I would probably use the term localized outbreak or regional outbreak.  The same storm system did produce tornadoes in TX and then again later on so I wouldn't have a problem calling the whole system an outbreak. 

We also need to consider that we probably had a few events prior to 2000 that were probably very similar to this last one, but the tornadoes didn't get surveyed either due to not having the radar technology or the NWS offices not prioritizing surveying every time Johnny's barn got blown over.

I can think of similar events like 5/14/1995 or the West Virginia Derecho of April 1991 as events that likely had a lot of missed EF0/EF1 tornadoes.

I agree localized outbreak sounds about right! Thankfully it was a weak outbreak but ten in one morning even if ef0 is something to document for sure

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2021, 07:35:34 PM »
One of the damaged factories in Union Ciry.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 198
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2021, 08:40:27 PM »
https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=202105052152-KOHX-NOUS44-PNSOHX

Here are the 11 tornadoes in Middle TN all EF-0

In SW Kentucky there was an EF-2 and two EF-1 tornadoes.   

2021 Tropical Season
by WXHD
[Today at 04:17:06 PM]
June 2021
by StormNine
[Today at 10:05:22 AM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by snowdog
[June 11, 2021, 09:10:35 PM]
River Runner
by Dyersburg Weather
[June 06, 2021, 04:48:58 PM]