Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Severe Weather Experiences  (Read 919 times)

Offline Bruce

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2952
Re: Severe Weather Experiences
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »
Make no mistake about it- there are some people who openly hope for outbreaks and are pretty unambiguous about the desire for it to happen. It's a line that can be crossed depending on one's tact, sensitivity, and emotional maturity. Maybe they're just being more honest- I don't know.

I think severe weather fandom is a complex psychology with a lot of nuance. I'll admit to subscribing to the interest in following the development and anatomy of severe weather. I would not be honest if I denied feeling some excitement in a forecast on severe weather days, or an odd appreciation for the appearance of supercells on radar. But, when I for a second think about the human effects, that can quickly turn to dread and sadness. I compare this to a criminal psychologist. The person in that role has an interest in studying cases and perhaps has a professional interest in analyzing a serial killer. They wouldn't be in that career if they didn't. It's not a moral judgment on such a person... just a fascination with the subject and an interest in opportunities to study cases, knowing people have perhaps died or been harmed in the process. But, these studies, driven by a personal interest, have a benefit to society. The same is true of severe weather interest.
simply the most exciting weather that exists imo
BRING ON SEVERE WEATHER SEASON..

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 08:43:45 AM »
I will say as far as excited anxiousness goes, april 2006 and super tuesday were the two events that had me the most nervous.....the forecast buildup  was there for 3 days and the day of we had no crapvection to hinder anything, it was the rare mid state event of having no real inhibiting factors and we were primed on those dates.

March 2012 seemed to be very scary as well as far as anticipation as well as veterans day outbreak and november 2005

Actually Nov 2005 gets overlooked alot for mid state, there were five F2 (strong) tornadoes in mid state that day
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:46:22 AM by gcbama »

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 193
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2021, 08:46:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbA4zquSF8

Check out this Weatherbrains episode. There is quite a bit of information on this episode that is focused on the East Tennessee portion of 4/27.  Some interviews from the NWS of Morristown and meteorologists in Johnson City and Chattanogga.   

May 2021
by Crockett
[Today at 08:00:48 PM]
Mothers Day Severe Threat
by byrdymush
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]
Updated NWS Climate Norms for TN (1991-2020)
by Bruce
[Today at 08:33:54 AM]
Your Ideas on Better Severe Weather Communications Methodology
by Dyersburg Weather
[May 07, 2021, 09:53:57 AM]
5/4/21 Hailer
by StormNine
[May 05, 2021, 08:40:27 PM]