Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Tornado Videos Thread  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 607
Re: The Tornado Videos Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 11:32:53 AM »
Interesting.

https://www.wsmv.com/video/is-tennessee-the-next-tornado-alley/video_5e486c61-3300-5691-ad71-c5381d7c2f31.html

While most tornadoes occur in the traditional tornado alley on the Plains, it is noteworthy that the biggest outbreaks in history have occured from the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys into the Deep South--not the Great Plains.  April 1974 and 2011 are the two best examples.  Of course, since this area is far more populated than the Great Plains, it's where the largest loss of life and property usually occurs.  At the very least, tornadoes have a much higher chance of hitting man-made structures here than the wide open Plains.

I think a difference is that our severe weather tends to be cyclical whereas out in the Plains, it's more perennial. There are more years than not when you can count on tornadoes out in the Plains in May. We can go through multi-year lulls in this region.

But, when it gets bad in this region... we can stand toe to toe with the worst outbreaks in the Plains.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1861
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 12:10:38 PM »
I think a difference is that our severe weather tends to be cyclical whereas out in the Plains, it's more perennial. There are more years than not when you can count on tornadoes out in the Plains in May. We can go through multi-year lulls in this region.

Thankful for the lulls.  If outbreaks as violent and life-altering as 2011 happened every year, or even every other, I'd be moving to the Plains.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Online gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 12:25:09 PM »
Thankful for the lulls.  If outbreaks as violent and life-altering as 2011 happened every year, or even every other, I'd be moving to the Plains.

one thing also I have noticed, our supercells seem to be RACING east or northeast at up to 55 mph sometimes, most of the plains tornadic cells I have seen are in that 30-35 mph range, that can make a big difference for people in warning time also

an example is the moore tornado 2013 it was on the ground for 37 minutes but only travelled 17 miles....it was an F5 that doesn't even meet the long track criteria....if a tornado is on the ground in our area for 37 minutes it would have travelled at least 30 miles
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:28:08 PM by gcbama »

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 607
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »
one thing also I have noticed, our supercells seem to be RACING east or northeast at up to 55 mph sometimes, most of the plains tornadic cells I have seen are in that 30-35 mph range, that can make a big difference for people in warning time also

an example is the moore tornado 2013 it was on the ground for 37 minutes but only travelled 17 miles....it was an F5 that doesn't even meet the long track criteria....if a tornado is on the ground in our area for 37 minutes it would have travelled at least 30 miles

Good point... on outbreak days, I've seen individual cells racing around 75 mph.

As I recall, there were some stunning speeds from the storms in Superoutbreak '74... the movement of some cells on the order of 100 mph+.

I would have to find some warning text examples.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 02:11:14 PM by Thundersnow »

Online gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »
Good point... on outbreak days, I've seen individual cells racing around 75 mph.

As I recall, there were some stunning speeds from the storms in Superoutbreak '74... the movement of some cells on the order of 100 mph+.

I would have to find some warning text examples.

I do remember a warning for a cell up to 65mph here , but you just don't see that happen very often in plains outbreaks at all....most are quite slow moving compared to our cells....however that also means out there the tornado sits on your location a bit longer to do more damage in that region, it's a catch 22 situation when it comes to the forward motion speed of a supercell.

I have said it before but nothing will ever compare to jarrell TX in my mind....an F5 moving at 1-2 mph over a neighborhood for a half hour, things were obliterated , never seen total destruction like that, animals skin ripped right off, some human remains were never found because they disintegrated , nothing compares to that one up to this date imo

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »
While no videos, the NWS in Louisville has an entire page with photos and satellite pics of the event on April 3-4, 1974.  Pretty interesting and informative.

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/april31974

They even have radio broadcasts of the event.  Below is a sat pic at about 5pm.  Classic strong cyclone in the Plains with a very intense cold front plowing east into TN and KY.  Textbook look for a severe weather outbreak here. 

Also note some of the pictures they have posted.  One in particular shows a curtain rod driven into a tree.  Again, I'm glad these types of events don't happen on a yearly basis here. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:00:44 PM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Online gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 03:12:44 PM »
While no videos, the NWS in Louisville has an entire page with photos and satellite pics of the event on April 3-4, 1974.  Pretty interesting and informative.

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/april31974

They even have radio broadcasts of the event.  Below is a sat pic at about 5pm.  Classic strong cyclone in the Plains with a very intense cold front plowing east into TN and KY.  Textbook look for a severe weather outbreak here. 

Also note some of the pictures they have posted.  One in particular shows a curtain rod driven into a tree.  Again, I'm glad these types of events don't happen on a yearly basis here.

the wall cloud on that Richmond ky tornado picture is haunting

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 04:05:21 PM »
the wall cloud on that Richmond ky tornado picture is haunting

I thought so, too.  That was one very impressive wall cloud. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 04:09:25 PM »

I was in the 74 Black Wednesday tornado in Franklin Co, TN., little community on Tims Ford Lake called Harmony .destroyed our house, killed my aunt and uncle who lived about 200 yards behind us...Most terrible night of my life. Still see some of the destruction today.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Losing loved ones is never easy.  But something like that is especially painful. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2330
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/PygCVIlT4hU

A can't-miss classic.
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline Bruce

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2912
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2021, 02:43:24 PM »
https://youtu.be/PygCVIlT4hU

A can't-miss classic.
great vid man... getting me in game mood before kickoff
BRING ON SEVERE WEATHER SEASON..

Online gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2021, 09:22:25 PM »
a personal favorite of mine, columbus nebraska

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNOlL5tWxTg

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »
These 2 from 4/27/11 are the ultimate tornado videos for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTgSaq2nRiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k153ho6vFU

Online Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 09:57:49 PM »

https://www.weather.gov/images/lmk/past_events/apr3_1974/april3_1974_meteorology/sat21z.gif[/img]

I was in the 74 Black Wednesday tornado in Franklin Co, TN., little community on Tims Ford Lake called Harmony .destroyed our house, killed my aunt and uncle who lived about 200 yards behind us...Most terrible night of my life. Still see some of the destruction today.
Reading the stories of memories from some of those individuals is scary.  Livestock impaled.  The trying to run to their car and not making it.  Yet  at only had 4 flat tires and some light still on from open doors.  The one thing that stands out that I remember the 2 tornadoes I have been thru is the greenish and sometimes pink sky.  The one in Bristol which was in the 70’s it was pink.  The one in the Boro.  I remember driving 840 and getting to what is now Ford of Murfreesboro and saying the atmosphere does not feel like tornado wx.  Then not even 30 min later the sky turned green and hail started falling.  Several of us were standing looking out the SW side and seeing the funnel.  Then like someone was drawing it.  The circular marks kept going closer and closer to the ground.  Then we saw debris being lifted in the air.  It was like slow motion.  We watched it go by which was only 1-2 miles away.  I remember the backside down draft and how strong it was.  The roar was so loud.  Why anyone would want to see that type of destruction is beyond me.  Hope every tornado is a bust for this area.  I love seeing tornadoes but only over open land.

April 2021
by gcbama
[Today at 07:59:56 AM]
Your Ideas on Better Severe Weather Communications Methodology
by Eric
[April 12, 2021, 11:21:08 AM]
April 8-9 Severe Risk (mainly South of TN)
by Charles L.
[April 09, 2021, 09:01:54 PM]
4/8/2021 Plateau Tornadoes
by gcbama
[April 09, 2021, 04:55:50 PM]
Greek Hurricane Names Will Be No More
by bugalou
[April 08, 2021, 02:12:57 PM]