Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: March 2021  (Read 11861 times)

Online gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: March 2021
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 09:40:58 AM »
I wasn't discounting that, just stating the area basically saw only 1 significant supercell split between the chaos to the north & the morning disrespect in the Huntsville area that pummeled Chattanooga as well.

No worries!
It's so interesting though to me how in the past year we had two f3+ supercell tornadoes in the south in what was considered marginal to barely slight risk environment . You just never know

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »
No worries!
It's so interesting though to me how in the past year we had two f3+ supercell tornadoes in the south in what was considered marginal to barely slight risk environment . You just never know

Every deadly tornado in Kentucky or Tennessee in the last five years has occurred during a Marginal, Slight, or Enhanced Risk.

With low-amp troughs that is what you have to watch for those classic Oh **** Slight/Enhanced Risk events.  It may not always be the sexy sub 990mb low in Iowa that is your textbook Moderate to High Risk.  Backed winds, solid moisture return, at least decent to good shear, and just 500-700 CAPE can take of business just like our more highly sheared/unstable events can. 

Offline andyhb

• Supercell
  • Tornado/Severe Weather Connoisseur Since Age 3
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 08:01:30 PM »
Bruce will go big. He'll drive out to Oklahoma and storm the Storm Prediction Center in Norman.

Don't you put that evil on us.
Dynamic upper level troughs with adequate warm sector instability

Online gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 09:51:38 AM »
Every deadly tornado in Kentucky or Tennessee in the last five years has occurred during a Marginal, Slight, or Enhanced Risk.

With low-amp troughs that is what you have to watch for those classic Oh **** Slight/Enhanced Risk events.  It may not always be the sexy sub 990mb low in Iowa that is your textbook Moderate to High Risk.  Backed winds, solid moisture return, at least decent to good shear, and just 500-700 CAPE can take of business just like our more highly sheared/unstable events can.

Agreed many mets now a days get so caught up in cape values , if not 1,000 or above they think nothing can happen

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 607
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 11:19:56 AM »
Other than somewhat wet at times, it's looking like a calm first half of March to me... nothing particularly interesting on the temperature side of things (50s-60s for highs with 40s for lows). I still don't see much to write home about on either severe or winter weather fronts... just a generous hydration of soils and water tables as we move into early spring.

Hopefully, there will be some nice days between systems.

Online Bruce

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2913
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »
Other than somewhat wet at times, it's looking like a calm first half of March to me... nothing particularly interesting on the temperature side of things (50s-60s for highs with 40s for lows). I still don't see much to write home about on either severe or winter weather fronts... just a generous hydration of soils and water tables as we move into early spring.

Hopefully, there will be some nice days between systems.
severe Weather starts second week March... and winter is done here . Guess wet times  for now appears ...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:32:20 PM by Bruce »
BRING ON SEVERE WEATHER SEASON..

Offline David

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »
severe Weather starts second week March... and winter is done here . Guess wet times  for now appears ...

Book it! Bruce can you pinpoint the locations that will be seeing Severe weather in 3 weeks?

Online Bruce

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 03:09:11 PM »
Book it! Bruce can you pinpoint the locations that will be seeing Severe weather in 3 weeks?
yes sir ... just not exactly towns ...

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
Here the recent (past decade or so examples of deadly tornadoes or EF-3+ that have occurred in less than Moderate Risks:  This is not a diss at the SPC, but just showing us that even Marginal Risks like today and tomorrow need to be watched.

Carolina Beach, NC
(EF-3 on Feb 2021 with a Slight Risk)

Fultondale, AL (EF-3 on Jan 2021 with a Slight Risk)

NW Minnesota (EF-4 on 7/8/2020 with a Slight Risk 2-5% tornado)

Chattanooga, TN (EF-3), Seneca, SC (EF-3), and Hampton, SC (EF-4) Easter 2020 Tornado Outbreak (these tornadoes occurred outside of the MDT risk zone. 

Cookeville, TN (EF-4): Occurred in a Marginal Risk zone with a 0% tornado probability on 3/3/2020.  Additional tornadoes occurred in the general thunderstorm region. 

Camden, TN (EF-2) and Nashville/Mt. Juliet/Lebanon (EF-3) occurred in a 5% tornado Slight Risk on 3/2/3/3/2020

Lee County, AL (EF-4) In an Enhanced Risk Zone deadliest since 4/27/2011 

Christiana, TN (Nov 2018) Deadly EF-2 in an Enhanced Risk Zone

Logan/Robertson County TN and NE Arkansas deadly EF-2 tornadoes and a significant EF-2 tornado in Clarksville (Feb 2018) all in an Enhanced Risk Zone.  One of the most active tornado events as far as raw number in the KY/TN border region.   

Ocoee, TN area (Nov 2016): Overshadowed by the major Sevier County wildfire during that same timeframe a deadly EF-3 tornado hits Polk County. Polk County was under a Marginal Risk at the time.

Mayfield, KY area (May 2016) A pretty potent regional outbreak occurred during a Slight to Enhanced Risk with several EF-1 to EF-2 tornadoes plus the Mayfield EF-3 and many 2+ inch hail events.  One of the more intense tornado/hail events of the decade for Western KY.   

Leap Day 2012:  A major outbreak occurred across the Ozarks across the Ohio River Valley in areas that had a Slight to Enhanced Risk of severe weather.  This included some EF-3 and one EF-4 tornado.

January 2012: The NWS of Louisville CWA reports its largest January Tornado Outbreak under the equivalent of a Marginal Risk. Some tornadoes reach up to EF-2 strength.   

New Years' Eve 2010: Deadly tornadoes strike NW Arkansas and the Ozarks. Most of the events occurred with the equivalent of a no-risk to barely in a Slight Risk. Probably the worst miss in the modern era.

1/7/2008   One of about 3 events in the Ozarks in 2008 that went more berserk than forecast.  The definition of the Oh **** Slight Risk with tornadoes from the Ozarks to Wisconsin.  Wisconsin wasn't even under a Slight Risk when it was hit by an EF-3 tornado which was one of the furthest north January tornadoes on record.   

11/5-11/6/2005:  The Evansville/Henderson EF-3 tornado occurred in a Slight Risk. 

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 11:08:20 AM »
While we highlighted some of the worst events we should note that when the SPC issues a High Risk they aren't playing around even though it has been 9-10 years since that occurred.

3/2/2012
5/25/2011
4/26-4/27/2011
2/5/2008
4/7/2006
11/15/2005
5/30/2004
5/4-5/5/2003
11/10/2002
5/5/1999
1-21/1-22/1999
4/16/1998

Really the only ones that underperformed a bit were the two most recent, but they did feature more significant tornado activity just outside of our area. 

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2330
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2021, 11:40:26 AM »
Incredibly useful information. Thank you.
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 767
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 10:22:11 PM »
I will not be giving up on March for winter.  I am against this "General Weather" subforum.

Lions unite in the Winter subforum.  FIVE FEET DEEP (and March can do it)!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Online Bruce

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2021, 05:47:22 AM »
Everything seems to be a clustered mess so far...which was not entirely unexpected...but nothing is really able to root into the surface boundary layer to really go off. There also appears to be a little boundary noticeable on NQA sliding SE which seems to be undercutting the convection which also prohibits the storms from rooting to fully surface-based.
the 0z gfs is starting to show some fantasy big time severe weather threats . See if we hold on that solution as time draws near .

Offline Flash

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2021, 06:56:44 AM »
Here the recent (past decade or so examples of deadly tornadoes or EF-3+ that have occurred in less than Moderate Risks:  This is not a diss at the SPC, but just showing us that even Marginal Risks like today and tomorrow need to be watched.

Carolina Beach, NC
(EF-3 on Feb 2021 with a Slight Risk)

Fultondale, AL (EF-3 on Jan 2021 with a Slight Risk)

NW Minnesota (EF-4 on 7/8/2020 with a Slight Risk 2-5% tornado)

Chattanooga, TN (EF-3), Seneca, SC (EF-3), and Hampton, SC (EF-4) Easter 2020 Tornado Outbreak (these tornadoes occurred outside of the MDT risk zone. 

Cookeville, TN (EF-4): Occurred in a Marginal Risk zone with a 0% tornado probability on 3/3/2020.  Additional tornadoes occurred in the general thunderstorm region. 

Camden, TN (EF-2) and Nashville/Mt. Juliet/Lebanon (EF-3) occurred in a 5% tornado Slight Risk on 3/2/3/3/2020

Lee County, AL (EF-4) In an Enhanced Risk Zone deadliest since 4/27/2011 

Christiana, TN (Nov 2018) Deadly EF-2 in an Enhanced Risk Zone

Logan/Robertson County TN and NE Arkansas deadly EF-2 tornadoes and a significant EF-2 tornado in Clarksville (Feb 2018) all in an Enhanced Risk Zone.  One of the most active tornado events as far as raw number in the KY/TN border region.   

Ocoee, TN area (Nov 2016): Overshadowed by the major Sevier County wildfire during that same timeframe a deadly EF-3 tornado hits Polk County. Polk County was under a Marginal Risk at the time.

Mayfield, KY area (May 2016) A pretty potent regional outbreak occurred during a Slight to Enhanced Risk with several EF-1 to EF-2 tornadoes plus the Mayfield EF-3 and many 2+ inch hail events.  One of the more intense tornado/hail events of the decade for Western KY.   

Leap Day 2012:  A major outbreak occurred across the Ozarks across the Ohio River Valley in areas that had a Slight to Enhanced Risk of severe weather.  This included some EF-3 and one EF-4 tornado.

January 2012: The NWS of Louisville CWA reports its largest January Tornado Outbreak under the equivalent of a Marginal Risk. Some tornadoes reach up to EF-2 strength.   

New Years' Eve 2010: Deadly tornadoes strike NW Arkansas and the Ozarks. Most of the events occurred with the equivalent of a no-risk to barely in a Slight Risk. Probably the worst miss in the modern era.

1/7/2008   One of about 3 events in the Ozarks in 2008 that went more berserk than forecast.  The definition of the Oh **** Slight Risk with tornadoes from the Ozarks to Wisconsin.  Wisconsin wasn't even under a Slight Risk when it was hit by an EF-3 tornado which was one of the furthest north January tornadoes on record.   

11/5-11/6/2005:  The Evansville/Henderson EF-3 tornado occurred in a Slight Risk.

Great research. Thank you for taking the time to post. Despite the periodical whiffs, you can see SPC has gradually improved with time. 3/3/20 was the ultimate overachiever for our area. We'll be citing this event for a long time in terms of cautioning people to take the 'slight' risks seriously. For the record, the bottom half of the risk zone criteria wording still drives me crazy but that's another topic for another day.
"By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast." ~ Job 37:10 (ESV)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 607
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »
I will not be giving up on March for winter.  I am against this "General Weather" subforum.

Lions unite in the Winter subforum.  FIVE FEET DEEP (and March can do it)!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just to weigh in on something here-

Last year, we decided to start keeping track of day to day discussion in month-specific threads. The "General Weather" subforum makes sense as a place to keep those, since all kinds of weather could happen in any given month. I noticed that some of the recent months, like December, January, and February, got created in the Winter Weather subforum. That's fine, I guess, since it's been the winter season, But, if I had noticed or thought about it, I might have even moved those under this General subforum. These month threads can include all kinds of weather... whatever weather may occur in these months. Just because a month thread is in General does not mean we're saying winter weather might not occur during the month. If a wintry weather system shows up and warrants a thread, guess where it's going to go? In the Winter Weather subforum. It's the same as if a severe weather system occur during a winter month. We'll put that in the Severe Weather subforum. There may be general discussion that occurs in the month thread, but when it comes time to break out into a specific discussion about winter or severe weather, it should go into the appropriate subforum.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 04:09:48 PM by Thundersnow »

April 2021
by gcbama
[Today at 08:38:08 AM]
Your Ideas on Better Severe Weather Communications Methodology
by Eric
[April 12, 2021, 11:21:08 AM]
April 8-9 Severe Risk (mainly South of TN)
by Charles L.
[April 09, 2021, 09:01:54 PM]
4/8/2021 Plateau Tornadoes
by gcbama
[April 09, 2021, 04:55:50 PM]
Greek Hurricane Names Will Be No More
by bugalou
[April 08, 2021, 02:12:57 PM]