Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: March 2021  (Read 791 times)

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: March 2021
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 09:40:58 AM »
I wasn't discounting that, just stating the area basically saw only 1 significant supercell split between the chaos to the north & the morning disrespect in the Huntsville area that pummeled Chattanooga as well.

No worries!
It's so interesting though to me how in the past year we had two f3+ supercell tornadoes in the south in what was considered marginal to barely slight risk environment . You just never know

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »
No worries!
It's so interesting though to me how in the past year we had two f3+ supercell tornadoes in the south in what was considered marginal to barely slight risk environment . You just never know

Every deadly tornado in Kentucky or Tennessee in the last five years has occurred during a Marginal, Slight, or Enhanced Risk.

With low-amp troughs that is what you have to watch for those classic Oh **** Slight/Enhanced Risk events.  It may not always be the sexy sub 990mb low in Iowa that is your textbook Moderate to High Risk.  Backed winds, solid moisture return, at least decent to good shear, and just 500-700 CAPE can take of business just like our more highly sheared/unstable events can. 

Offline andyhb

• Supercell
  • Tornado/Severe Weather Connoisseur Since Age 3
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 08:01:30 PM »
Bruce will go big. He'll drive out to Oklahoma and storm the Storm Prediction Center in Norman.

Don't you put that evil on us.
Dynamic upper level troughs with adequate warm sector instability

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 09:51:38 AM »
Every deadly tornado in Kentucky or Tennessee in the last five years has occurred during a Marginal, Slight, or Enhanced Risk.

With low-amp troughs that is what you have to watch for those classic Oh **** Slight/Enhanced Risk events.  It may not always be the sexy sub 990mb low in Iowa that is your textbook Moderate to High Risk.  Backed winds, solid moisture return, at least decent to good shear, and just 500-700 CAPE can take of business just like our more highly sheared/unstable events can.

Agreed many mets now a days get so caught up in cape values , if not 1,000 or above they think nothing can happen

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 11:19:56 AM »
Other than somewhat wet at times, it's looking like a calm first half of March to me... nothing particularly interesting on the temperature side of things (50s-60s for highs with 40s for lows). I still don't see much to write home about on either severe or winter weather fronts... just a generous hydration of soils and water tables as we move into early spring.

Hopefully, there will be some nice days between systems.

Offline Bruce

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2786
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 12:20:56 PM »
Other than somewhat wet at times, it's looking like a calm first half of March to me... nothing particularly interesting on the temperature side of things (50s-60s for highs with 40s for lows). I still don't see much to write home about on either severe or winter weather fronts... just a generous hydration of soils and water tables as we move into early spring.

Hopefully, there will be some nice days between systems.
severe Weather starts second week March... and winter is done here . Guess wet times  for now appears ...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:32:20 PM by Bruce »
BRING ON SEVERE WEATHER SEASON..

Offline David

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 12:34:49 PM »
severe Weather starts second week March... and winter is done here . Guess wet times  for now appears ...

Book it! Bruce can you pinpoint the locations that will be seeing Severe weather in 3 weeks?

Offline Bruce

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2786
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 03:09:11 PM »
Book it! Bruce can you pinpoint the locations that will be seeing Severe weather in 3 weeks?
yes sir ... just not exactly towns ...
BRING ON SEVERE WEATHER SEASON..

Heavy Rain/Flooding Concerns: Feb 27-28
by Eric
[Yesterday at 11:29:50 PM]
February 2021
by Clint
[Yesterday at 10:43:34 PM]
The Tornado Videos Thread
by schneitzeit
[Yesterday at 09:25:12 PM]
March 2021