Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Idea about tornado shelter  (Read 812 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 586
Re: Idea about tornado shelter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 10:00:22 AM »
I just built a small shed with some pipe. They must go 100ft down. That along with some leather belts and you are safe as can be.

Online gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 11:12:27 AM »
It should be noted that the chance of you being dead center in a tornado-like Smithville, MS or Jarrell, TX is quite slim. Those tornadoes are even in a class of their own even within the EF/F-5 ranking. It is almost like an unlucky lottery multimillion cash prize if you get hit by those, but what the safe rooms/tornado shelters will protect you from are those EF-2 and EF-3 tornadoes that are much more common and gives people who live in mobile homes or poorly built homes a strong shelter.  Your odds of being directly impacted by those are still fairly rare, but most of us do know someone who has been impacted by an EF-2 or EF-3.

To this day nothing blows my mind like the Jarrell tornado, i don't think anything will ever come close to it.....an F5 moving South Southwest at around 1 mph , so it just sat on top of that neighborhood spinning F5 winds for several minutes. Not to be to gory but they had a hard time identifying human from animals remains thats how obliterated that area was.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 05:13:04 PM »
Anyone ever build their own shelter?  I am considering building a buried garage one.  I got some quotes and people want 5 to 6 grand which just seems like too much to me for what you are getting.  It seems easy enough to cut a hole in the slap and dig it out and build a box of steel inside.  Seems the hardest part would be the door.  I have a concrete chop saw, a welder, and a place I can get the steel to do it cheap (or free with a luck visit to the scrap pile). Pretty sure I can figure out the door too and install a come-along and/org a hydraulic jack.  I could rent a bob cat to do the digging. I am thinking 2 grand tops.

Online Bruce

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2802
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 05:15:36 PM »
Anyone ever build their own shelter?  I am considering building a buried garage one.  I got some quotes and people want 5 to 6 grand which just seems like too much to me for what you are getting.  It seems easy enough to cut a hole in the slap and dig it out and build a box of steel inside.  Seems the hardest part would be the door.  I have a concrete chop saw, a welder, and a place I can get the steel to do it cheap (or free with a luck visit to the scrap pile). Pretty sure I can figure out the door too and install a come-along and/org a hydraulic jack.  I could rent a bob cat to do the digging. I am thinking 2 grand tops.
i know a family that has buried a school bus, works pretty good lol
BRING ON SEVERE WEATHER SEASON..

Offline Jeremy

• Severe Thunderstorm
    • Mid-South Storm Chasers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 05:47:11 PM »
A friend of mine in Oklahoma just recently moved into a brand new home. He was looking for shelter suggestions and came across this https://www.youtube.com/embed/uZ-EU5J_PvY

That's a different concept, and I wouldn't trust the integrity of it lol

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 972
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 12:33:44 AM »
A friend of mine in Oklahoma just recently moved into a brand new home. He was looking for shelter suggestions and came across this https://www.youtube.com/embed/uZ-EU5J_PvY

At the very least, it's been tested.

Built to FEMA 320/361 & ICC 500 standards to withstand an EF5 Tornado
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2213
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 08:34:12 AM »

Looks interesting. What if your power went out and you couldn't get the shelter to expand to its full capacity?
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

March 2021
by Bruce
[Today at 03:25:51 PM]