Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: February 2021  (Read 44524 times)

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: February 2021
« Reply #1365 on: February 27, 2021, 06:41:37 PM »
That sounds about right, since the TN state line goes pretty well straight due west, and the MO boot hill dips down and sits right across the river from NW TN.

But, the idea that one spot in TN is closer to Canada than the other end of the state is what I think a lot of people would find fairly surprising.
Memphis is closer to the Texas panhandle than to Mountain City.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #1366 on: February 27, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »
That sounds about right, since the TN state line goes pretty well straight due west, and the MO boot hill dips down and sits right across the river from NW TN.

But, the idea that one spot in TN is closer to Canada than the other end of the state is what I think a lot of people would find fairly surprising.

Another one that is interesting is that Murphy, NC in the far SW corner of the state (covered by Morristown CWA by the way) is closer to either 6 or 7 other state capital cities than it is to Raleigh its capital city.   

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #1367 on: February 27, 2021, 06:53:32 PM »
The warmth is causing Paducah and Bowling Green to drop out of the Top 10 coldest February's but here is the crazy part.

If it wasn't for those 3 weeks in February Western/Central KY and adjacent parts of TN would finish this winter about 3 to 4 degrees above average (similar to 2018-19), but since that intense 3-week cold snap happened, they now will probably finish just about -0.5F to -1F for the winter.

The departure map for this winter is going to look funky with well above average along the West Coast, Northeast, Northern Plains, and a random blob of below average across the mid-section.         

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1862
« Reply #1368 on: February 28, 2021, 02:18:40 PM »
Been a beautiful end to February here today.  Clouds have increased now, but still warm with the windows open.  75F in the late afternoon.

March about here.  Winter is packing it's bags, and leaving soon.  Still here for now, but it's setting it's sights on a cool vacay in the Southern Hemisphere. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2337
« Reply #1369 on: February 28, 2021, 09:24:33 PM »
Another one that is interesting is that Murphy, NC in the far SW corner of the state (covered by Morristown CWA by the way) is closer to either 6 or 7 other state capital cities than it is to Raleigh its capital city.

Wow, that's crazy. Guessing Nashville, Atlanta, Columbia, Montgomery, Lexington and maybe Tallahassee or Charleston, WV?
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 767
« Reply #1370 on: February 28, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »
Fun fact- the northeast tip of the state is closer to the Canadian border than it is to Memphis.
That's interesting but not all that surprising.  People are surprised sometimes to find out that Chicago is an 8 hour drive from Memphis.  We live in close relatively close proximity to some very cold regions but we are also slightly closer to the Gulf than those extremely cold areas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

April 2021
by Bruce
[Today at 10:25:01 AM]
Severe Weather Experiences
by gcbama
[Yesterday at 08:43:45 AM]
Your Ideas on Better Severe Weather Communications Methodology
by Eric
[April 12, 2021, 11:21:08 AM]
April 8-9 Severe Risk (mainly South of TN)
by Charles L.
[April 09, 2021, 09:01:54 PM]
4/8/2021 Plateau Tornadoes
by gcbama
[April 09, 2021, 04:55:50 PM]