Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: February 2021  (Read 37658 times)

Offline wmp600

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 569
Re: February 2021
« Reply #1305 on: February 21, 2021, 07:46:23 PM »
Pretty amazing just couple days or so ago we were sitting near 0 . Today 57 for a high . Remarkable recovery .
It is amazing. It felt great today. I actually had the windows up in the house & down in the car.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 586
« Reply #1306 on: February 21, 2021, 09:48:55 PM »
As I'm sure the Williamson County school teacher that asked is aware- schools are closed in that system tomorrow. Even with today's spring-like weather (and those sunny 50s sure did feel spring-like), neighborhood streets (at least around Nolensville) still had a fair amount of slush, although it was melting fast by late this afternoon.

Sure enough, as we were discussing earlier, I'm noticing the school report scroll on TV has some schools as "virtual learning day" or "remote learning day" tomorrow. I suspect that's going to be a new term in the lexicon from here on. For the kids' sake, I hope "snow day" school closings continue to be a thing. But, depending on the system or county's capabilities, virtual learning is certainly a new option in a lot of cases. Maybe, this is a good thing that saves some throwaway of snow days or the logistics of delayed openings because of patchy ice on rural roads.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:51:34 PM by Thundersnow »

Offline TNHunter

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1307 on: February 21, 2021, 10:09:22 PM »
We are out in Dyersburg again also. 12.5 day vacation

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #1308 on: February 22, 2021, 03:46:48 AM »
As I'm sure the Williamson County school teacher that asked is aware- schools are closed in that system tomorrow. Even with today's spring-like weather (and those sunny 50s sure did feel spring-like), neighborhood streets (at least around Nolensville) still had a fair amount of slush, although it was melting fast by late this afternoon.

Sure enough, as we were discussing earlier, I'm noticing the school report scroll on TV has some schools as "virtual learning day" or "remote learning day" tomorrow. I suspect that's going to be a new term in the lexicon from here on. For the kids' sake, I hope "snow day" school closings continue to be a thing. But, depending on the system or county's capabilities, virtual learning is certainly a new option in a lot of cases. Maybe, this is a good thing that saves some throwaway of snow days or the logistics of delayed openings because of patchy ice on rural roads.

As a said previously I wonder how that might play out during severe weather season.  Now that is an option, would we see a lot more virtual learning days on severe weather days?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:34:23 AM by StormNine »

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1309 on: February 22, 2021, 04:39:14 AM »

The massive societal changes this alone could cause are unbelievable alone. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 586
« Reply #1310 on: February 22, 2021, 07:16:24 AM »
As a said previously I wonder how that might play out during severe weather season.  Now that is an option, would we see a lot more virtual learning days on severe weather days?

I suspect so.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1786
« Reply #1311 on: February 22, 2021, 08:10:46 AM »
Had a legit squall come through this morning.  Intense wind and heavy rain that was being blown sideways.  Power blinked a few times.  The wind had calmed down a bit, but heavy rain continues behind the squall.  A super soaker of a front coming through this morning. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline rkhvoljohnsoncity

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1312 on: February 22, 2021, 08:50:39 AM »
In Johnson City we have had heavy rain and very strong winds the past hour. They are showing rain here 12 of the next 15 days. I suspect the ridge will continue to block fronts and they will hang up and never cross the mountain. Not a fun pattern for us to be stuck in for the foreseeable future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cgauxknox

• Derecho
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 615
« Reply #1313 on: February 22, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
We'll be headed to Middle TN this weekend to help clean up downed trees on my parents' farm from the winter storms of the past week. Looking at the upcoming weather I wonder how much more tree damage we can expect across Tennessee with saturated soil, winds, and trees leafing out and getting more vulnerable to storm damage. This is looking like another spring where the kayaks may come in handy on city streets!

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #1314 on: February 22, 2021, 10:58:38 AM »
Welp the snow is mostly gone. That was fast for having almost 10 inches on the ground. and below freezing Saturday morning. I guess its good, I can get my mail today.

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2217
« Reply #1315 on: February 22, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »
Welp the snow is mostly gone. That was fast for having almost 10 inches on the ground. and below freezing Saturday morning. I guess its good, I can get my mail today.

That February sun angle  ::blowtorch:: and sixty degree weather. Mmm, mmm, good!

Yesterday was the first time I went running in the snow in 50 degree weather. It was kind of like running on sand.
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2217
« Reply #1316 on: February 22, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »
Pretty amazing just couple days or so ago we were sitting near 0 . Today 57 for a high . Remarkable recovery .

Like I said a few weeks back, this time of year is the time where weather is the most dynamic in our climate. We can have snowstorms, severe weather, subfreezing temperatures, sunshine and seventy degrees all in the same week.
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1786
« Reply #1317 on: February 22, 2021, 12:38:17 PM »
March winds starting a little early this year.  With the sun breaking out and temps in the 50s, it feels like a typical breezy March day.   Now if I only had a kite.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1318 on: February 22, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »
March winds starting a little early this year.  With the sun breaking out and temps in the 50s, it feels like a typical breezy March day.   Now if I only had a kite.

I ordinarily hate wind. I guess it's my animal instinct. Wind bothers me more than any other type of weather. But I'm loving it today (and Wednesday, which should be breezy also). I'll take all the wind I can get to help the sun dry up some of this mud! It's been a long time since we had back-to-back-to-back winter storms like we had this month and I forgot just how much mud results from all of that freezing/thawing and wintry precipitation.

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1319 on: February 22, 2021, 01:09:46 PM »
The NWS officially recorded 8.9" of snow in Oneida, making it the northern plateau's snowiest February in 15 years and the single snowiest month in 5 years. (Those totals are underdone; most areas received more like 14-16", but the 8.9" is what'll go down in the record books.)

Mid-March 2021 Cold/Wintry Chances (week of 3/15) Severe vs Winter Epic Battle Month
by Bruce
[Today at 11:31:31 AM]
March 2021
by Thundersnow
[Today at 10:40:00 AM]
Winter 2020-2021 Fame and Infamy Candidates!
by StormNine
[March 06, 2021, 03:09:26 PM]
March 3, 2020 Tornado Outbreak
by mamMATTus
[March 05, 2021, 09:50:14 PM]
BloomSky Weather Stations
by ryandourius
[March 05, 2021, 02:05:17 AM]