Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gnashing of Teeth (Winter 2020-21) thread  (Read 12232 times)

Offline rkhvoljohnsoncity

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Gnashing of Teeth (Winter 2020-21) thread
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2021, 07:03:58 PM »
How much did they get in West Tennessee. The guy we listen to on Volquest from Knoxville said the low tracked 100 miles west of where it was suppose to which screwed most of Middle Tennessee for a big snow event. It was 55 today in Johnson City. Just crazy stuff. It seems like the MJO has been stuck in phase 5,6,and7 every winter here lately which appears to cause the southeast ridge. Do we need it in 8 for a winter in the southeast to be colder with a chance of more snow possibilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2021, 07:21:48 PM »
How much did they get in West Tennessee. The guy we listen to on Volquest from Knoxville said the low tracked 100 miles west of where it was suppose to which screwed most of Middle Tennessee for a big snow event. It was 55 today in Johnson City. Just crazy stuff. It seems like the MJO has been stuck in phase 5,6,and7 every winter here lately which appears to cause the southeast ridge. Do we need it in 8 for a winter in the southeast to be colder with a chance of more snow possibilities

it sure did...even chicago is in the snow precip shield now thats how much farther n/w it trended

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2021, 07:24:58 PM »
My friends live about 20 miles north of Indianapolis and they were suppose to get 3-5 and now they are going to get 10+

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2337
« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2021, 07:27:48 PM »
West Tennessee generally got a lot less than they were expecting, too. This whole event was a loss for most people in our forum area. Only if you were right along the Mississippi River you were saved from that ugly arse warm nose from screwing up your totals beyond repair.

I guess I'm ready for spring, but I really am not eager to dive into another 8 months of hot, humid air. The summers here are long, wet (usually) and nasty. I've lived here for some time now, but at this point, I'm seriously thinking about packing my things. The climate here is frankly very depressing to me.
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2021, 07:28:27 PM »
My friends live about 20 miles north of Indianapolis and they were suppose to get 3-5 and now they are going to get 10+

It all has to go somewhere. Expect this track to be on repeat for this midweek shitstem.

Oh, system, excuse me.

April 16, 1998 Tornado
Summer 2007 Drought
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1862
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2021, 07:47:36 PM »
West Tennessee generally got a lot less than they were expecting, too. This whole event was a loss for most people in our forum area. Only if you were right along the Mississippi River you were saved from that ugly arse warm nose from screwing up your totals beyond repair.

I guess I'm ready for spring, but I really am not eager to dive into another 8 months of hot, humid air. The summers here are long, wet (usually) and nasty. I've lived here for some time now, but at this point, I'm seriously thinking about packing my things. The climate here is frankly very depressing to me.

Considering where you are from, I can understand. Long hot, humid summers followed by short, mostly rainy winters can be a bummer. I've often thought it would be cool to live in Austria or Switzerland.  I visit there frequently on YouTube.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2021, 08:18:53 PM »

The winners here were South-Central into Eastern Texas, Central Arkansas, localized areas within 30 miles from the Mississippi River, and parts of Central Indiana.   

Although I will take my 4 inches of snow with some sleet mixed in and be happy I got it.  It ended a 3 year drought of missing out on 2+ inch snowfalls so I am glad that is over.   

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2021, 08:23:06 PM »
I bet our SE TN and Carolina friends probably think we are crazy complaining about getting 4 inches or getting 2 inches when they have had to deal with cold rain and freezing rain to rain events all winter long. 

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2021, 08:43:27 PM »
I bet our SE TN and Carolina friends probably think we are crazy complaining about getting 4 inches or getting 2 inches when they have had to deal with cold rain and freezing rain to rain events all winter long.

SE TN, yes. Carolina's, no. Carolina's have done extremely well the last few winters and they gripe more than we do, lol.

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2021, 09:11:31 PM »
I was looking at total snowfall for Sugar Mountain at 5,300 feet and so far they have had 76 inches of natural snow which is about 4 times what Johnson City has received at just under 20 inches and I am at 1,800 feet. The elevation with higher mountains around us provides a few more chances at snow in a typical winter. I saw one winter they got around 130 inches which is the most I

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »
Considering where you are from, I can understand. Long hot, humid summers followed by short, mostly rainy winters can be a bummer. I've often thought it would be cool to live in Austria or Switzerland.  I visit there frequently on YouTube.

Right. I've lived in Tennessee for many more years than I have anywhere else, so I'm used to the long summers by now. It doesn't mean I like them, though, and the best thing about being in my 20s is I have the freedom to move somewhere else. I don't want to have an external locus of control- no one is making me live here. And I don't hate Tennessee at all; it's only that the climate here that is not my cup of tea. Honestly, I like just about everything about living in Tennessee except for its climate. But hey, no place is perfect. Maybe if I move somewhere else I'll get a reality check.

April 16, 1998 Tornado
Summer 2007 Drought
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2021, 10:48:35 AM »
Right. I've lived in Tennessee for many more years than I have anywhere else, so I'm used to the long summers by now. It doesn't mean I like them, though, and the best thing about being in my 20s is I have the freedom to move somewhere else. I don't want to have an external locus of control- no one is making me live here. And I don't hate Tennessee at all; it's only that the climate here that is not my cup of tea. Honestly, I like just about everything about living in Tennessee except for its climate. But hey, no place is perfect. Maybe if I move somewhere else I'll get a reality check.

the people and the vibe make this a great state...weather not so much, severe season can be horrific for people and the fact we have two severe season is scary yet fascinating to track.

Summer is way too humid without having a beach in my backyard lol. And winter well...lets not go there for us snow fans.

But you get used to it all and take the good with the bad

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »

In 1850, like 85% of America lived spread across rural areas. Now, it's roughly inverted.

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »
In 1850, like 85% of America lived spread across rural areas. Now, it's roughly inverted.

The demographic shift from rural to urban is very fascinating.

Can you imagine if a supply chain was restricted to the urban dwellers? Even most people in the suburbs wouldn't have a clue how to fend for themselves, despite having some arable land available.

April 16, 1998 Tornado
Summer 2007 Drought
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2021, 11:46:58 AM »

Still humid but if you want a bit more snow and a climate that is a little bit more European, but still want to stay in the South then a place like Boone, NC or Wise, VA is a good option. 

Personally, I think the higher elevation places of Utah and Arizona (e.g. Park City, Logan, Payson, and Flagstaff) have some of the best climates for those who love snow, but also like to have four seasons.  The only problem is that you trade in the relative lack of severe weather for a much higher potential for drought and wildfires than you typically see in the Southeast.  No place is without its weather/climate faults.   

Edit: Plus those higher mountain towns in the Desert SW outside of New Mexico have a higher to much higher cost of living than areas in our part of the country.   

April 2021
by Bruce
[Today at 10:25:01 AM]
Severe Weather Experiences
by gcbama
[Yesterday at 08:43:45 AM]
Your Ideas on Better Severe Weather Communications Methodology
by Eric
[April 12, 2021, 11:21:08 AM]
April 8-9 Severe Risk (mainly South of TN)
by Charles L.
[April 09, 2021, 09:01:54 PM]
4/8/2021 Plateau Tornadoes
by gcbama
[April 09, 2021, 04:55:50 PM]