Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gnashing of Teeth (Winter 2020-21) thread  (Read 10397 times)

Offline Bruce

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2786
Re: Gnashing of Teeth (Winter 2020-21) thread
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
While we still rantin. Cleaned out flower beds yesterday . Swear already see some butter cup stems barely breaking ground . Unreal
BRING ON SEVERE WEATHER SEASON..

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »
While we still rantin. Cleaned out flower beds yesterday . Swear already see some butter cup stems barely breaking ground . Unreal

Pretty typical to see those stems coming up by this time. The first buttercups (aka daffodils) usually bloom around the first week of February, only a couple of weeks out.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 971
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »
Ready for weekend sun and widespread 60s.  Got a bunch of trim to paint and really can't at 45-50F.  I've had my meager snowfall this season.  Yall can have the rest....just put me on the warm side of the low.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline Bruce

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2021, 05:49:01 PM »
Ready for weekend sun and widespread 60s.  Got a bunch of trim to paint and really can't at 45-50F.  I've had my meager snowfall this season.  Yall can have the rest....just put me on the warm side of the low.
bingo, now we are talking brother...

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »
Speaking for this winter weather fan, I think I've been well beyond jaded and really to the point of being "dead inside" disinterested about winter weather prospects for years now. I don't really expect much for winter other than a handful of token flurry dustings. It's actually nice not to be burdened with disappointment and frustration about it.

It's honestly going to take a SHOCK & AWE blockbuster storm that paralyzes the region to even reel me back in at this point.

I've seen flakes this winter so far, and even a small handful of times of sub-half inch dusting. All good. Cherish every day. Enjoy the good days, and don't wish your life away.

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2201
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2021, 11:08:46 AM »
Sucks for the younger generations who never got to see the snows that you all did.

Winter is quickly becoming a thing of the past. In the Arctic, sea ice coverage is dwindling. Snowpack is decreasing on average worldwide. A few places have a nice uptick in snowfall some winters, but the positive snowfall anomalies are greatly outmatched by the deficits everywhere else.

The positive feedback loop. When the main source of cold air is vanishing right in front of you, everything gradually gets warmer.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:12:06 AM by schneitzeit »
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2021, 12:40:14 PM »
Speaking for this winter weather fan, I think I've been well beyond jaded and really to the point of being "dead inside" disinterested about winter weather prospects for years now. I don't really expect much for winter other than a handful of token flurry dustings. It's actually nice not to be burdened with disappointment and frustration about it.

It's honestly going to take a SHOCK & AWE blockbuster storm that paralyzes the region to even reel me back in at this point.

I've seen flakes this winter so far, and even a small handful of times of sub-half inch dusting. All good. Cherish every day. Enjoy the good days, and don't wish your life away.

Makes sense, at least our dreams aren't getting crushed with a huge system missing us by 50 miles lol, haven't had anything close to track in years and it is sad i got so excited for a 2 inch snowfall from the ULL we got, but such is the case now

Offline TNHunter

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2021, 12:51:38 PM »
Makes sense, at least our dreams aren't getting crushed with a huge system missing us by 50 miles lol, haven't had anything close to track in years and it is sad i got so excited for a 2 inch snowfall from the ULL we got, but such is the case now

Try having your #1 favorite hobby of duck hunting tied to how well our winters and the winters north of here go lol adds a whole other level of frustration. 

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 734
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2021, 02:06:01 PM »
Try having your #1 favorite hobby of duck hunting tied to how well our winters and the winters north of here go lol adds a whole other level of frustration.
Understatement of all time. If winter sucks, duck hunting sucks. The last 3 have took sucking to a new level.

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2201
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2021, 03:16:08 PM »
Understatement of all time. If winter sucks, duck hunting sucks. The last 3 have took sucking to a new level.

I do hope that will open the eyes of a different group of people to the reality of our changing climate. The older generations of outdoorsmen know these are warmer times. Forget about anthropogenic influence for a second, and the argument that's involved; the Earth is getting warmer.
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline TNHunter

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »
I do hope that will open the eyes of a different group of people to the reality of our changing climate. The older generations of outdoorsmen know these are warmer times. Forget about anthropogenic influence for a second, and the argument that's involved; the Earth is getting warmer.

Yea no doubt it is changing, wouldn't think anyone would really try to argue that much.  Guess it's the driving factor that everyone can't agree.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 734
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2021, 04:08:53 PM »
  Sure things are changing but at my location we have had some good winters the last 10 years.  Just in a run of 3 that suck.

Offline Bruce

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2021, 06:04:07 PM »
  Sure things are changing but at my location we have had some good winters the last 10 years.  Just in a run of 3 that suck.
yeah but there starting get little further apart. The good winters that is.  Look at the north  even up to the Canadian border., they been below average snowfall last three years also

Offline Bruce

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »
man i miss the ole 4 ft icicles that would just hang off the house for a solid week after a big snow... anyone old enough remember them ?

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2021, 06:46:43 PM »
man i miss the ole 4 ft icicles that would just hang off the house for a solid week after a big snow... anyone old enough remember them ?
  They made really great light sabers... as long as you dueled from a distance.  I kept one in our freezer for about a year in the late 1970's, along with a couple of snowballs and some large hail.  My mother was a patient woman.
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Heavy Rain/Flooding Concerns: Feb 27-28
by Eric
[Yesterday at 11:29:50 PM]
February 2021
by Clint
[Yesterday at 10:43:34 PM]
The Tornado Videos Thread
by schneitzeit
[Yesterday at 09:25:12 PM]
March 2021
by Bruce
[Yesterday at 03:09:11 PM]