Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gnashing of Teeth (Winter 2020-21) thread  (Read 12231 times)

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2337
Re: Gnashing of Teeth (Winter 2020-21) thread
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2021, 03:05:26 PM »
I'm loving all this complaining. It's been in the 30s for 5 days here in Norfolk with only cold rain and fog.

Difference is we just thought we might see a nice snowstorm. But nope.
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »
If you want to see what it is like model chasing snow storms in TN...this is it...

https://youtu.be/N-4BFfdGufo

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1862
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2021, 03:41:36 PM »
If you want to see what it is like model chasing snow storms in TN...this is it...

Ok.  Not what I was expecting, but  ::rofl::
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2021, 03:44:23 PM »
Ok.  Not what I was expecting, but  ::rofl::

After you stomach a few busts, you start getting used to the taste and soldier on.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2021, 03:47:32 PM »
After you stomach a few busts, you start getting used to the taste and soldier on.

I get it.  Models threw out that carrot, and I've reached for it again and again and again...too many times to count. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »
I get it.  Models threw out that carrot, and I've reached for it again and again and again...too many times to count.

Yep i am no longer going to attach myself to a forecast where i am on the edge, BUT the NWS had I-65 westward FIRMLY in a zone to get at least 2 inches  as the low end  and kept saying the more west you go the more likely you are to get more upwards of 5 and i never saw one flake so it does qualify as a major bust on their part.

I knew based on models it was not there but said to myself they are the pro's so they must know something i don't. Never again will i elevate them above my own judgement or the judgement of people on this forum

Offline Nash_LSU

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2021, 04:32:17 PM »
...and now we're getting a freezing drizzle on top of the 2" of sleet. A kick in the balls, for sure.

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2021, 05:04:18 PM »

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2021, 05:35:15 PM »
Never saw a single snowflake from this. Didn't think that would happen with professional meteorologists confidently calling for 2-4" of snow for several days (more than that at times) but here I am.

East Tennessee wins early with a White Christmas (widespread 4 to 5 inches which is more than I have seen since 2010), West Tennessee ends with a double snowstorm, yet Middle Tennessee gets a bunch of dustings. It's absurd how little snow this part of the world gets compared with what used to happen just 30 years ago. You just cannot get a "winning" snow pattern in Middle Tennessee anymore unless you're very lucky.

The same bullshit is going to happen again this week. We cannot for the life of us get anything more than 2 or 3 inches anymore. Little Rock, Shreveport, Memphis, Knoxville, Birmingham, Dallas, Knoxville, Chattanooga and Atlanta have all broken 4" from a single storm in the past few years. Nashville hit the jackpot with Jonas in '16, but many places in southern Middle were left in the dark with that one. This place is truly a snow hole. I just don't get it.

April 16, 1998 Tornado
Summer 2007 Drought
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2021, 05:44:40 PM »
Never saw a single snowflake from this.

You should if you look out in the next few minutes if not already. Don

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
You should if you look out in the next few minutes if not already. Don

April 16, 1998 Tornado
Summer 2007 Drought
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2021, 06:14:04 PM »
Never saw a single snowflake from this. Didn't think that would happen with professional meteorologists confidently calling for 2-4" of snow for several days (more than that at times) but here I am.

East Tennessee wins early with a White Christmas (widespread 4 to 5 inches which is more than I have seen since 2010), West Tennessee ends with a double snowstorm, yet Middle Tennessee gets a bunch of dustings. It's absurd how little snow this part of the world gets compared with what used to happen just 30 years ago. You just cannot get a "winning" snow pattern in Middle Tennessee anymore unless you're very lucky.

The same bullshit is going to happen again this week. We cannot for the life of us get anything more than 2 or 3 inches anymore. Little Rock, Shreveport, Memphis, Knoxville, Birmingham, Dallas, Knoxville, Chattanooga and Atlanta have all broken 4" from a single storm in the past few years. Nashville hit the jackpot with Jonas in '16, but many places in southern Middle were left in the dark with that one. This place is truly a snow hole. I just don't get it.

You and i agree on so many levels...like i say what made me annoyed was i knew it my gut that it didn't look like we would get much but i put confidence in the NWS and local mets this time and won't do it again, and when they all say at the very least expect 2 but possibly 6 , i was thinking they have the degree so they must know....that blew it bigtime on the snow end.

This next system is nothing for you and i to fall in love with either just don't do it....not gonna go well for you and i for sure in our area...low pressure NEVER tracks the way we need it anymore.

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2021, 06:24:07 PM »
The problem is our mets and nws office overshot everything here , all stations and the, most of us in middle were hesitant to bite but when the NWS throws a map of widespread 4-6 inches of snow and other local mets follow you tend to think, ok maybe they have access to info that i don't and you bite on it.

Then you only get a half inch to inch of ugly sleet and a token dusting when you were told by the pro's it would be no less than two inches of snow and you barely see a flake.....that is the issue with people here in the midstate on this system imo....that was an epic bust that they refused to correct as the day went on. By 12 pm we all saw the dry slot was coming and it was just not going to happen, yet the nws just sticks to their guns with model data instead of radar watching and correcting the forecast. Ok i am done :)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2021, 06:42:56 PM »
In "my day" I remember many misses in the "offical" NWS forecasts EVEN in the 80s. Heavy snow forecast, and we got mostly rain and a dusting. So, the more things change, the more they stay the same. It's winter weather in a place that borders the sub-tropics.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2021, 06:49:29 PM »
In "my day" I remember many misses in the "offical" NWS forecasts EVEN in the 80s. Heavy snow forecast, and we got mostly rain and a dusting. So, the more things change, the more they stay the same. It's winter weather in a place that borders the sub-tropics.
I often try to imagine the epic blizzards that must have buried the hills around me during the last cold phase of the current Ice Age.
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

April 2021
by Bruce
[Today at 10:25:01 AM]
Severe Weather Experiences
by gcbama
[Yesterday at 08:43:45 AM]
Your Ideas on Better Severe Weather Communications Methodology
by Eric
[April 12, 2021, 11:21:08 AM]
April 8-9 Severe Risk (mainly South of TN)
by Charles L.
[April 09, 2021, 09:01:54 PM]
4/8/2021 Plateau Tornadoes
by gcbama
[April 09, 2021, 04:55:50 PM]