* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: 20/21 Ski Season  (Read 864 times)

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 151
20/21 Ski Season
« on: August 29, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »
Get your Winter Sports and Mountain chat on. This season will be on for the records.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 174
Re: 20/21 Ski Season
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 08:40:16 PM »
My preliminary call is for the Sierra Nevada to Utah/Colorado play to not be very good (minus the few areas that can manage a below to even well-below average snow year fine), the New Mexico play to be awful, and the Cascades into Montana should be okay to good.

Out East, I don't think East TN/West NC up to West Virginia is as awful as the last few years have been, but still probably not good due to the pesky SE Ridge at times.  New England can go either way.       

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 06:51:58 PM »
My preliminary call is for the Sierra Nevada to Utah/Colorado play to not be very good (minus the few areas that can manage a below to even well-below average snow year fine), the New Mexico play to be awful, and the Cascades into Montana should be okay to good.

Out East, I don't think East TN/West NC up to West Virginia is as awful as the last few years have been, but still probably not good due to the pesky SE Ridge at times.  New England can go either way.     

Pretty reasonable based off ENSO. Its been pretty nice this summer in Tahoe, but dry conditions as a whole have really started showing their ugly face in some areas. Smoke is cleared out, hoping fires and be squashed and put to rest in the months to come. Vail is doing restervations and passholders only till Dec3 while Ikon has yet to release their official forecast. East coast mountains do well this season IMO.

Offline nrgJeff

• Sunny
  • Embrace Dixie while the Plains is quiet.
    • Linked In
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
West looks best in La Nina, esp. Utah and points north and west. However our local ski areas really need our support after last year's awful weather and early covid closure.

I'm all about popping over to NC or Gatlinburg for a weekday get-a-way. Skiing or riding should be fairly safe if we are bundled up anyway. Mild days, still wear a mask per ski area rules. I'd eat outside, which I do anyway because it gets too hot inside with ski clothes. Still buy food there to support them and take outside.
Jeff H
Energy Meteorologist - U. of Kansas
Thoughts are my own.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 03:53:16 AM »
West looks best in La Nina, esp. Utah and points north and west. However our local ski areas really need our support after last year's awful weather and early covid closure.

I'm all about popping over to NC or Gatlinburg for a weekday get-a-way. Skiing or riding should be fairly safe if we are bundled up anyway. Mild days, still wear a mask per ski area rules. I'd eat outside, which I do anyway because it gets too hot inside with ski clothes. Still buy food there to support them and take outside.

Utah as far as Park City goes is going to be a tough go because of the pesky SW Ridge.  Remember 2017-18 was the worst snow year for Utah although Alta and Snowbird will still be good just because a bad year still means 300 inches of snow.

I fully agree with supporting the NC/Gatlinburg areas. I am not encouraged to see the La-Nina trend stronger along with that warm water along the Western Atlantic.  That just spells having to battle the ridge for a good deal of the winter especially east of I-75.     

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2258
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 05:43:52 AM »
Rockies should do well this winter ...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 07:23:13 AM »
Rockies should do well this winter ...

The Canadian Rockies down into Jackson, WY should do well and the Cascades should do at least decent.  With the strong Sonora Ridge signal and occassional +PNA that probably spells a lousy ski season for Tahoe, Central/Southern Utah, the Southern half of Colorado, and the mountains of Arizona/New Mexico.   

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 07:59:10 AM »
The Canadian Rockies down into Jackson, WY should do well and the Cascades should do at least decent.  With the strong Sonora Ridge signal and occassional +PNA that probably spells a lousy ski season for Tahoe, Central/Southern Utah, the Southern half of Colorado, and the mountains of Arizona/New Mexico.

How about the bunny hilled snow cone of the eastern mid-west, also known as Indiana hill skiing. Lol

Hoping to take the kids up after Christmas, if they have ski-able weather.

* Recent Posts

Hurricane Zeta
by TNHunter
[Today at 09:08:52 AM]
October 2020
by TNHunter
[Today at 05:53:24 AM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by Coach B
[October 26, 2020, 09:35:20 PM]
2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by dwagner88