Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021  (Read 47795 times)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1779
Re: Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
« Reply #570 on: February 22, 2021, 05:40:36 PM »
The one aspect of this winter I will remember is--it was the most snow I've witnessed on Christmas morning.  I've seen snow on Christmas, but not more than 2-3". I'm not a spring chicken, and I've been around the weather block many times, and I've lived in places much further north of east TN.  Yet, I've never seen a Christmas as white as the end of 2020.   Considering the difficult times I've (and all of us) had last year, it was a nice gift to end the year.  I'm equally glad my neighbors west of here also had some good winter fun before this one came to a close. Of course, that doesn't mean we're done yet.  Winter has a way of showing up when least expected, even this far south. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:45:59 PM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #571 on: February 23, 2021, 05:01:03 AM »
Looks like this is just a pattern reload week per the Euro.  This is the pattern we want for March excitement!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #572 on: February 23, 2021, 09:17:18 AM »
The one aspect of this winter I will remember is--it was the most snow I've witnessed on Christmas morning.  I've seen snow on Christmas, but not more than 2-3". I'm not a spring chicken, and I've been around the weather block many times, and I've lived in places much further north of east TN.  Yet, I've never seen a Christmas as white as the end of 2020.   Considering the difficult times I've (and all of us) had last year, it was a nice gift to end the year.  I'm equally glad my neighbors west of here also had some good winter fun before this one came to a close. Of course, that doesn't mean we're done yet.  Winter has a way of showing up when least expected, even this far south.

I would take a 2 inch snow on Christmas morning over 4-6 inches on any other day.
Something magical about a true white christmas

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #573 on: February 23, 2021, 09:26:30 AM »
Looks like this is just a pattern reload week per the Euro.  This is the pattern we want for March excitement!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've taken a little break from model watching. However, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised with a reload to the cold pattern the second or third week of March. A bowling ball upper low would not be a surprise either. Still a solid three to four weeks for a winter threat.

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #574 on: February 23, 2021, 09:41:51 AM »
I've taken a little break from model watching. However, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised with a reload to the cold pattern the second or third week of March. A bowling ball upper low would not be a surprise either. Still a solid three to four weeks for a winter threat.

Yep, nothing currently in the next week winter-wise so it is a nice little break from model watching madness :)

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2655
« Reply #575 on: February 23, 2021, 05:46:27 PM »
Yes it was nice today, it is good to get a little break from model watching. Last week was fun but wore me down, and lost a lot of sleep but it was fun. Getting rested up too see if march will bring us another round of winter weather. No matter what, it has for sure been a more entertaining winter than the last 2.

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Tornado Alley moved SE.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2201
« Reply #576 on: February 23, 2021, 08:42:36 PM »
Yes it was nice today, it is good to get a little break from model watching. Last week was fun but wore me down, and lost a lot of sleep but it was fun. Getting rested up too see if march will bring us another round of winter weather. No matter what, it has for sure been a more entertaining winter than the last 2.

I like the way you think, Snowman. I'll take a snowstorm any time of the year. Even if it's in April. Sue me!
Nashville's Big Hits (since '98)

April 16, 1998 Tornado
January 16, 2003 Snowstorm
Summer 2007 Drought
May 1-2, 2010 Great Flood of Nashville
June 2012 Record Heat Wave
February 2015 Tennessee Ice Storm
January 22, 2016 Winter Storm Jonas
March 3, 2020 Tornado

Offline Flash

« Reply #577 on: February 23, 2021, 08:42:59 PM »

You and me both Snowman. Gotta get our zzz's in before severe weather peak season.
"By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast." ~ Job 37:10 (ESV)

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #578 on: February 24, 2021, 05:49:41 PM »
So looking at the winter storm data I collected earlier...since 1950 out of the 96- now 99 winter storms across the state, 12 have occurred in March.

- 4/12 in a La Nina
- 3/12 in an El Nino
- 5/12 in neutral ENSO

Of the La Nina ones (only 4):
- PNA: 2 positive/2 negative
- EPO: 3 positive/ 1 negative
- AO: 2 positive/2 negative
- NAO: 2 positive/2 negative
- The big March 1968 storm was a weak La Nina after a PV Split in January with a positive PNA, EPO, AO, and NAO (MJO undetermined)
- March 2008 near blizzard conditions occurred in a moderate La Nina with positive PNA, EPO, AO, and NAO and a MJO in phase 1
-March 1975 was a weak Nina and weakly negative PNA, EPO, AO, and NAO with MJO in Phase 3
- March 1971 was a moderate Nina with a negative PNA, positive EPO, strongly negative AO, and negative NAO, and MJO undetermined
- 36/99 winter storms from 1950 occurred with a La Nina. So getting 4/36 to occur in March looks rare but not impossible. The usual teleconnections don't look to be near as solid of a predictor as they do in Dec-Feb.

In late January when looking at teleconnections with the winter storms studied, I think I mentioned the best analog was Jan 31, 1985. Looking in more detail, it was almost identical for the period we just went through.

Heavy Rain/Flooding Concerns: Feb 27-28
by Eric
[Yesterday at 11:29:50 PM]
February 2021
by Clint
[Yesterday at 10:43:34 PM]
The Tornado Videos Thread
by schneitzeit
[Yesterday at 09:25:12 PM]
March 2021
by Bruce
[Yesterday at 03:09:11 PM]