* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall 2020: Because Fall Comes Before Winter  (Read 2742 times)

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 174
Re: Fall 2020: Because Fall Comes Before Winter
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2020, 04:10:06 AM »
That Sonora Ridge out West is a thing of legend.  That thing never dies in the longer range.  Bad news for them is that Nina ish events tend to not only stregthen the SE Ridge but also the SW Ridge.  2017-18 featured a consistent ridge over the Desert Southwest region.   

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1485
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2020, 07:25:31 AM »
Great to have you back, JayCee. Please stick around and chat.

Thanks!  It's been a difficult year.  My aging parents have had health problems continuing from last year, so I did a lot of traveling back and forth.  Then Covid hit, and I found myself unemployed for the first time since my teenage years.  So, I've been in KY much of the time doing what I can to assist and minimize their exposure, since I'm currently jobless (blessing in disguise?).  The weight of it all has consumed my thoughts lately, along with wondering what the future holds.  I've dug deep into my faith to mine for gems of hope.  Best way I can put it.

Here's hoping the winter of 2020-21 provides us with numerous snow distractions.   ::snowman::
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1570
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »
NOAA is predicting drought development for a pocket of the southeast this autumn as La Niña shows off in the Pacific. You can see a splotch of yellow over Mississippi:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1570
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2020, 04:18:04 AM »
Thanks!  It's been a difficult year.  My aging parents have had health problems continuing from last year, so I did a lot of traveling back and forth.  Then Covid hit, and I found myself unemployed for the first time since my teenage years.  So, I've been in KY much of the time doing what I can to assist and minimize their exposure, since I'm currently jobless (blessing in disguise?).  The weight of it all has consumed my thoughts lately, along with wondering what the future holds.  I've dug deep into my faith to mine for gems of hope.  Best way I can put it.

Here's hoping the winter of 2020-21 provides us with numerous snow distractions.   ::snowman::

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation with your employment and your parents' complications from aging. It's been a very difficult year for so many people. I've been blessed to remain employed at my young age, but I know some who are not so lucky.

I'm a salesman for durable medical equipment. Since April, I've spoken with many people between 50 and 65 who can no longer get their medical supplies because they've lost their jobs and are now uninsured. I know the pain of others won't alleviate your own, but if you ever feel down on yourself, please don't, because you certainly are not the only one who is in this situation right now.

I'm glad we're having an actual autumn so far this year. We deserve it after last year's excessive heat and the woes of 2020. And a winter with average snowfall would satisfy most of us, since we've been lucky to get half of that the past few seasons. I'm more optimistic about the coming winter than what we were dealt for the past several, so one could say I'm clinging to hope, too.

Do me a favor while you're here and ask Charles to come back and post. I haven't seen him post in a while now.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1485
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2020, 06:14:56 PM »
Autumn has definitely showed itself over the last few weeks.  Since coming back to TN, I've noticed the sweetgum trees are already showing the typical orange colors near the tops of the canopy, and the dogwoods are also showing crimson in their branches.  The hickories are doing the usual yellowing, while some leaves have turned brown and have fallen during the recent heavy rain event.  The red/white oaks are still green, and won't turn until much later--sometimes into early November depending on the weather. 

Autumn is a season I most enjoy, just behind spring.  And considering recent events, I'm going to enjoy this one to it's fullest.  You can't beat autumn in the foothills of the Smokies.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 174
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »
Starting to see some widespread color here as well especially in rural areas. A lot more reds and oranges versus golds and browns that we have seen in recent years (minus 2017). I think 2 weeks of dry weather and solidly below-average temperatures will probably put most of Tennessee near peak by mid-month.   

Online dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2020, 06:37:01 PM »
It’s all over Facebook. There is a black bear running around downtown Chattanooga right now.
https://twitter.com/rpamplin/status/1309982979150811137

Edit: They shot it.  :( Shame it couldn’t have been tranquilized and removed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:57:10 PM by dwagner88 »
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015: 10.25 in.
Winters 2015-2019: basically nothing
Winter 2019-2020:
2/8/20: 4.25”

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2020, 04:28:07 PM »
I predict the leaves will not stay on the trees this year much like all prior years before. History or Weather? What do you know?

Offline TNHunter

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 06:07:58 PM »
Out scouting today for deer and the leaves seem to be turning pretty decent already. Seems to me we are way ahead

Offline nrgJeff

• Sunny
  • Embrace Dixie while the Plains is quiet.
    • Linked In
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
Might actually have normal timing on foliage this year. Current front is thankfully too early to rip off the leaves. Then we have many cool nights and sunny days.

Northwest flow fronts are not as destructive to peak leaves as a big southwest low and mountain wave winds. Yuck! Forecast regime should be favorable for a couple weeks.

My general idea on timing..
First weekend of October NC highcountry. Blue Ridge?
Second weekend of Oct. At and above 3,000 FT Tenn. Smoky Mtns?
Third weekend of Oct. 2,000 to 4,000 FT. Cherohala Skyway?
Fourth weekend of Oct. 1,000 to 3,000 FT. Many state parks.
Halloween Tennessee Valley floor by the River.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:50:51 AM by nrgJeff »
Jeff H
Energy Meteorologist - U. of Kansas
Thoughts are my own.

Offline TNHunter

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2020, 08:44:29 AM »
Phenomenal weather we are having and for the next 15 days as of now.  So far 2020 has given us a true spring, very mild summer, and a great start to fall.  Dare we say 2020 will be so generous with winter??? ::snowman::

Offline nrgJeff

• Sunny
  • Embrace Dixie while the Plains is quiet.
    • Linked In
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2020, 09:24:42 AM »
Interesting the leaves changing appears to have settled on long-term climo. They are not late like the last few years. They are not early like I'd wondered. So many times I see the Blue Ridge pop; then, I panic and go to the Cherohala Skyway 5 days early.

I would argue we were early this year; pretty green below 4,000 FT. And above 5,000 FT was brown. Only a narrow peak was observed last Saturday October 17 at about 4,800 FT.

At any rate I figure that tees up the 3,000-4,000 FT range this weekend. Chance of rain Saturday but does not look particularly windy. Can't imagine the show is over with this front which doesn't even sweep through all the way.

Then Halloween weekend around 1,000-2,000 FT opens up many other state parks for everyone to enjoy closer to home. Need to avoid any severe wx leading up, to keep leaves on the trees. Note the time change is November 1 this year.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 09:26:42 AM by nrgJeff »
Jeff H
Energy Meteorologist - U. of Kansas
Thoughts are my own.

Offline Greyhound

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2020, 10:58:15 AM »
Last weekend the wife and I took a drive through Maggie Valley, Blue Ridge Parkway, Balsam Mtn Campground, Heintooga Ridge Rd, then back over the mountain via 441 to get back to Knoxville.  While there were some evident color changes, we were both surprised at the overall amount of green still hanging on especially in the higher elevations.  We are supposed to ride Cherohala this weekend, but are going to wait until the day of, and see how the weather looks before making that decision.

* Recent Posts

Hurricane Zeta
by cgauxknox
[Today at 07:11:46 AM]
October 2020
by TNHunter
[Today at 05:53:24 AM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by Coach B
[October 26, 2020, 09:35:20 PM]
2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by dwagner88