Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Least and Most Favorite Winters (Winter Memories)  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Golfmankevin

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Least and Most Favorite Winters (Winter Memories)
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 07:15:58 PM »
My best winters were 09 10, 10 11 and feb march 2015. 10 11 winter I received 12.5 inches snow. I lived in ms at the time. Reason I mentioned Feb March 2015 because we got three winter storms in a three week period with that big one March of 2015. End of January that year pattern flipped and it was balls to walls storminess until mid March. Jonesboro ar got a ton of snow in 09 10 and especially 13 14 but I lived down south then ::shrug::

Offline gcbama

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 09:33:32 AM »
I echo a few here in stating 2010-2011 winter is my favorite...being on the 412 corridor we get the shaft a lot when it comes to snow, but not that year....we got well over a foot with all of the different events that came through, was a wonderful season

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »
I'll date myself here, and I think a lot of our impressions depend on where we were in life, and the age we were at the time.

1982 - there was a nice snow storm in January... it was a six inch snow in the Nashville area. I was in the 1st grade. I remember seeing the snow starting to fall while we were at school, and then school closed. By the time we headed home, we were unable to get up our driveway (on a hill), and we had to walk up. I believe that was a noteworthy cold blast across the southeast.

1985 - 'nuf said.

1988 - the January 1988 storm still stands as my all-time favorite snowstorm. 8 inches. The anticipated big snow in the forecast (even in those days), and it actually worked out in a widespread way across the region.

1994 - honorable mention, since I don't know how much I really "liked" it... but, you have to at least remember the Feb 1994 ice storm, but there was a January storm in 1994 that sometimes gets forgotten.

1996 - multiple... storms in January, February, and then a ULL with thundersnow dropped an impressive dumping on parts of Middle Tennessee in March. I believe Nashville measured near 9 inches. Power outages occurred because it was a heavy wet snow.

2003 - similar year to 1996. The Jan 16 '03 storm was great around Nashville. But, then there were 1 or 2 other decent storms after that.

2010-2011 was good, although I probably didn't have the appreciation for it that I would have had years earlier since I had grown out of the childhood wonder, I guess.

Other than some events around 2015-2016, I don't remember much more than "nuisance" snows over the last decade, certainly nothing to get me overly excited.

Offline gcbama

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2022, 06:03:27 PM »
21-22 winter was a top tier winter for me, two events of 3 and 5 inches...then got dumped on Jan 16th with 9 inches for a total of 17 inches....thats a fantastic season

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2903
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2022, 06:52:04 PM »
21-22 winter was a top tier winter for me, two events of 3 and 5 inches...then got dumped on Jan 16th with 9 inches for a total of 17 inches....thats a fantastic season

Almost as good as it gets!

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2022, 07:51:34 PM »
21-22, had probably one of the better January's you can imagine.  Seasonably cold, but not brutal but yet we took advantage of every opportunity to get snow, even scoring on a backside attempt which is rare.

December plus the record warm holiday just hurt last winter in my mind.  I might be a bit biased as well because the KY/TN border didn't get quite as much action as further south (but we did average which is good enough) and plus as much as I like tracking storms I much rather not go through a Dec 10-11th experience again.   

To give last winter credit it didn't waste potential like some other winters, especially in the C and D-tier did.  In Middle TN alone (and especially US 412) it probably deserves a higher ranking despite the record warm December.       

Offline gcbama

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2022, 07:49:35 PM »
Almost as good as it gets!

YEP....back in the day 9-10 inches a year was your average season around here, then it slacked off for a decade and a half with a good season and then a horrible 5 year stretch in between.....however past two seasons have both been double digits in my area, so maybe we are getting back to the good years :) . Getting over a foot anywhere in the midstate is a good year and 17 is fantastic! this coming season i am really rooting for chattanooga area!

Offline schneitzeit

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2903
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2022, 06:08:30 AM »
I'll date myself here, and I think a lot of our impressions depend on where we were in life, and the age we were at the time.

1982 - there was a nice snow storm in January... it was a six inch snow in the Nashville area. I was in the 1st grade. I remember seeing the snow starting to fall while we were at school, and then school closed. By the time we headed home, we were unable to get up our driveway (on a hill), and we had to walk up. I believe that was a noteworthy cold blast across the southeast.

1985 - 'nuf said.

1988 - the January 1988 storm still stands as my all-time favorite snowstorm. 8 inches. The anticipated big snow in the forecast (even in those days), and it actually worked out in a widespread way across the region.

1994 - honorable mention, since I don't know how much I really "liked" it... but, you have to at least remember the Feb 1994 ice storm, but there was a January storm in 1994 that sometimes gets forgotten.

1996 - multiple... storms in January, February, and then a ULL with thundersnow dropped an impressive dumping on parts of Middle Tennessee in March. I believe Nashville measured near 9 inches. Power outages occurred because it was a heavy wet snow.

2003 - similar year to 1996. The Jan 16 '03 storm was great around Nashville. But, then there were 1 or 2 other decent storms after that.

2010-2011 was good, although I probably didn't have the appreciation for it that I would have had years earlier since I had grown out of the childhood wonder, I guess.

Other than some events around 2015-2016, I don't remember much more than "nuisance" snows over the last decade, certainly nothing to get me overly excited.

I see you posted this on 1/5/21. Hopefully the past 2 winters brought you some good memories. Those were good winters for Middle TN.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2022, 12:52:16 PM »
I am going to put more respect on last winter's name and move it from C-tier to B-tier. Still has to get some punishment for that hot mess of a December and missing Chattanooga, but we have to give it props for producing one of the best January's in Middle TN since at least 2003.   I will also include the tier ranking for the 1980s and 1990s although due to age I can't go any further back. 

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2022, 12:55:04 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

August 2022
by TNHunter
[Today at 09:48:30 AM]
July 2022 (For those who like it hot)
by Bruce
[August 02, 2022, 08:10:55 AM]