* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Least and Most Favorite Winters (Winter Memories)  (Read 457 times)

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 173
Least and Most Favorite Winters (Winter Memories)
« on: July 20, 2020, 06:10:33 PM »
We are in the dog days of summer and a pandemic and both are  ::cliff::

Born: Dec 1988

Least Favorite:
1) 2011-12
2) 1991-92
3) 2016-17
4) 2019-20
5) 2001-02

Most Favorite:
1) 2010-11
2) 1995-96
3) 2014-15
4) 2002-03
5) 2000-01

The least favorite well they just overall stunk it up.  They were consistently warm (like our last two winters) and offered little to no oppurtunity to even track anything.

My most favorite winters either had a solid December or even if December wasn't that impressive they had a nearly complete show from Mid-Janaury into Early March.  Plenty of snow and at least periods of solid winter cold.       

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 146
Re: Least and Most Favorite Winters (Winter Memories)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
My least favorite are all the years it didn't snow lol. All of these are for the Chattanooga area except for the one year I was in Denver.

Favorite:
1. 92'-93 - Superstorm 93
2. 13'-14' Big Feb storm
3. 14'-15' Another big Feb storm
4. 10'-11' - 4" Christmas and around 8" mid-Jan
5. 15'-16'-17' - Denver, multiple storms

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2227
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 07:27:06 PM »
two of my favorite winters ... 1998-99   2007-08.
Come on severe wx season...

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 07:55:57 PM »
Least fav 2018-2019 not even a trace of snow

Most Fav 2010 i got around 15 that winter :)

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 08:19:50 PM »
My absolute favorite winter would've been 2010-2011. We had 3 (count 'em -- THREE!) snowstorms of 6+ inches BEFORE Christmas. I never thought I'd see such a thing in Tennessee...and probably won't again. But it was perfect. I like my winters front-loaded. Cold and snowy Decembers are nice, even if they're not climatological in this part of the world, because they set the mood for Christmas. After January, I'd just as soon have 60 degrees and sunshine. We had 3 nice snowfalls that December, the last coming on Christmas Eve night. It was a spectacular white Christmas.

A close second would've been 1997-1998. January was a torch but we had two nice snowfall events here in the week between Christmas and New Years. Then came the dynamic cooling surprise storm. I wouldn't want to see that happen again because of the damage it caused, but it was incredible to experience. I'll never see anything like it again in my lifetime. The forecast was for rain, possibly mixing with or changing to snow briefly before ending. But almost at the onset of precipitation, silver-dollar-sized flakes began to fall. And it was soon obvious that the forecast was gonna bust in a good way (if you were a snow fanatic). We ended up with 18" of wet, heavy snow that brought down every power line and pine tree in sight. I can still walk through the forests and see signs of the damage caused by that singular storm. I'll never forget helping my dad as we cut our way out once the snow stopped, so we could assist people who were without power. In the quarter-mile between the main road and my grandmother's home at the end of her driveway, we cut almost 3 dozen trees. Later, when we returned home, we had to cut our way back in because so many trees had fallen. Being outside that day was like listening to gunshots going off as trees snapped under the weight of the snow. It was pretty spectacular. It was far beyond the Blizzard of '93, and stayed on the ground much longer.

1992-1993 was okay, just because a blizzard in this part of the world is a once-in-a-lifetime event. But the rest of the winter was pretty bland, and the blizzard came in March, when most of us are ready for spring. It didn't stick around long, either. As much snow as we got, we would've had so much more if the temps had been just a little colder preceding the event. I remember it started snowing around 1pm that Friday afternoon, and it snowed steadily for the rest of the day, but didn't start to stick until an hour or so after dark.

1993-1994 featured a pretty incredible snowstorm that was followed by some of the coldest temps of my lifetime, with daytime highs topping out in the low single digits for 2-3 days. I was 14 at the time. We had big truck tire inner tubes and we fixed up a breakneck course in the neighbor's cow pasture. The sun would melt the surface of the snowpack just enough for it to freeze back into an almost dangerous glaze after sunset. We'd sled by the light of the full moon until late in the night.

1984-1985 was apparently an incredible winter, but I was a little too young to really remember it.

As for least favorite, ehh, pick one. There are plenty to choose from, especially after 1998.

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1544
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »
Winter 2010-11 was my fave, but you must also remember how young I am.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 616
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 04:59:56 PM »
**** I feel old after reading these.

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1544
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »

No shame! Tell us about the good old days!

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 08:29:33 PM »

Yeah- my mind goes back to 1980s events, but that doesn't appear to even be in range with these youngins.

* Recent Posts

2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by StormNine
[Yesterday at 05:36:59 PM]
September 2020
by TNHunter
[Yesterday at 05:19:46 PM]
Yellowstone Caldera Activity
by bugalou
[Yesterday at 11:51:11 AM]
Slowpoke Sally
by NismoWx