* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: July 2020  (Read 7799 times)

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2008
Re: July 2020
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 10:37:21 AM »
I remember Ron Kaiser was on channel 5, Bill Hall channel 4 and Tom Siler on 2. You talk about weathermen with different winter forecast. Kaiser would always lean to less snow, Bill was the most consistent and was usually the middle of road guy but he wasn't afraid to call for the big one or at least talk about the chances it could happen. Siler hit a big snow one time, he actually called it 2 weeks out and was inside 24 hours of the hit. It got him the name the weather wizard and he was popular for a few years as we had 3 or 4 good winters in the 70's. But over time he faded out. Bill Hall was the constant, my favorite year was 85. I was 20 years old and I lived with friends in town and Bill Hall was on one night while we were partying. We all loved snow and he started talking about a polar invasion coming and that we could have a month of winter to remember. I remember we got all exicted and sure enough the winter of 85 rocked.  We had several snows, the biggest was 8 inches and had 3 or 4 more in the 4-6 inch range. I remember the sun was out super bowl sunday but you would go snowblind if you went out without glasses. The glare was intense. ::guitar:: ::guitar:: ::cold:: ::snowman::
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:39:14 AM by Clarksville Snowman »

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 532
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
Don't forget also for the rest of 2020:

-COVID-19 infects murder hornets causing them to mutate into human-sized sentient beings

-Murder hornet mutants sting the turkeys, which is how they become mutants

-Yellowstone Supervolcano erupts, merging with the Sahara dust cloud to form Volcanodusticane, which immediate clogs all face masks

-Resulting Ice Age reforms the Bering Land bridge, and Sarah Palin really can see Russia from her house.

-Jon Gruden says enough of the Raiders and comes to coach at Tennessee after all.

-A Mutant Covid Murder Hornet stings Nick Saban transforming him into a supervillain. Jon Gruden says forget this and goes back to Vegas

-GFS sees a major snowstorm on Christmas Day but then loses it within 12 hours of the event, and then we realize that everything has gone back to normal just in time for the new year

-Clay Travis wakes up on January 1st realizing the whole past year was a bad dream after eating some bad guacamole on New Years Eve.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:47:38 AM by Thundersnow »
"To say you have no choice... is a failure of imagination."
                                                           - Jean Luc Picard

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »
-A Mutant Covid Murder Hornet stings Nick Saban transforming him into a supervillain.
...I think this actually happened in 2005.

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
I'm going to date myself compared to some of you younger ones, but humor me as I think some of y'all my age and older will remember these in the Nashville area:

Local station weather people in Nashville over the years:

WKRN- During the 1980s, it was Tom Siler and Davis Nolan... Davis was kind of the secondary weekend guy, as I recall. When Siler left, I think he was promoted and became the primary for years. Some time in the early 1990s, Lisa Patton showed up as secondary, and Neil Orne also covered weather for a while. A few others came and went. Lisa became the primary after a while, and Davis stepped down to part time and reduced his on-air time, where he's been ever since, but they've retained his voice as a veteran, and I've always enjoyed when he's on. I think Lisa Patton retired from the station a few years ago. I'm probably overlooking some significant people, but my memory grows hazy since the 2000s.

WSMV - Bill Hall was THE weatherman in Nashville for generations, it seems like. He was the constant from the 1970s until the mid 2000s when he retired. He brought a confidence and comfort to the airways with his down-to-earth way of communicating. Most beloved, in a lot of ways, I think. Here are a few others from WSMV over the years:

Dan McDaniel - weekend, daytime, and frequent evening fill-in during the 1980s into the early 1990s.

Keith Bilbrey- some might remember him more for broadcaster roles with the Opry, WSM radio, and other related gigs. But, I remember him most for doing the morning weather for the Ralph Emery Show... which was sort of an old-school local variety show in the early mornings on WSMV, complete with musical guests and in-studio live commercial advertisements by local businesses. I mainly watched it to catch the Snowbird Report during the school winter months. :)

Mike Bohan - bearded, stout, and likable gentleman who was also a weather fill-in and occasional regular on mornings and weekends until he got a radio show gig with Gerry House (the House Foundation).

James Lewis - came on the scene in the 1990s I think. Likable, albeit quirky guy. I enjoyed his reports when he came on.

Nancy Van Camp - daytime and weekend weather person for a long time. She was one of the ones that got the raw deal by WSMV's management at the time a few years back, along with Demetria, Dennis Ferrier, and some others.

Lisa Spencer - pretty much the primary since Bill Hall I think.

There were others that I can see in my mind, but I'm drawing a blank on their names at the moment.

WTVF -

Ron Howes, like Bill Hall, was a staple for years. He also carried a confidence and experience to be trusted

Joe Case - daytime weather guy for a long time... especially during Channel 5's day time show "Talk of the Town."

Lelan Statom - weekend and morning weather guy for a long while. I think he was promoted when Howes retired.

Charlie Neese- youthful, likable guy during the 2000s- he left several years ago, I think.

With all these stations, it seems like it's been a revolving door for the last 10-15 years, and I can't keep up. So, my mind tends to go back 20+ years. I guess I'm getting old.

You can find old local broadcasts on Youtube. I have enjoyed going back and looking at portions of news and weather casts from the 1980s.

my favorite was probably wkrn Lisa patton and wsmv Bill hall and Nancy van camp

Those three blended forecasting with communicating to the viewer better than anybody, they all felt like somebody you would like to have a cup of coffee with.

Also they were not afraid to admit if a forecast busted and explain how it happened. I remember a particular snow event in early 2000's when all of mid Tennessee was supposed to get a good 4-5 inch snowfall and most of us did, but a warm nose went right up the I-65 corridor and busted Columbia/franklin and nashville's forecast and Lisa patton explained it so well and admitted they didn't see that coming

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1490
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 11:06:57 AM »
@gcbama your post kindled my memory...

I miss the Nashville local news personalities like Nancy Van Camp and Demetria Kalodimos. They were good!
"I like the cold weather. It means you get work done." - Noam Chomsky

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2185
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »
Don't forget also for the rest of 2020:

-COVID-19 infects murder hornets causing them to mutate into human-sized sentient beings

-Murder hornet mutants sting the turkeys, which is how they become mutants

-Yellowstone Supervolcano erupts, merging with the Sahara dust cloud to form Volcanodusticane, which immediate clogs all face masks

-Resulting Ice Age reforms the Bering Land bridge, and Sarah Palin really can see Russia from her house.

-Jon Gruden says enough of the Raiders and comes to coach at Tennessee after all.

-A Mutant Covid Murder Hornet stings Nick Saban transforming him into a supervillain. Jon Gruden says forget this and goes back to Vegas

-GFS sees a major snowstorm on Christmas Day but then loses it within 12 hours of the event, and then we realize that everything has gone back to normal just in time for the new year

-Clay Travis wakes up on January 1st realizing the whole past year was a bad dream after eating some bad guacamole on New Years Eve.
raiders can keep Jon gruden...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »
@gcbama your post kindled my memory...

I miss the Nashville local news personalities like Nancy Van Camp and Demetria Kalodimos. They were good!

I am telling ya Nancy van camp, bill hall, lisa patton oh forgot about good ol James lewis! lol he was funny, during one outbreak he got so nervous he told people know where your safe place is and run like heck LOL

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2020, 01:16:42 PM »
that is one large bowing line in southeast mo, a bit surprised no watch looks to have some wind energy in it

Offline JKT1987

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »
that is one large bowing line in southeast mo, a bit surprised no watch looks to have some wind energy in it

So far just isolated very sporadic wind reports...and no real organized deep shear to keep storm intensity maintained outside the typical summer-like pulsey behavior. SPC put out an MCD saying just a 20% chance of a watch which seems to be bearing out so far. Might pulse up some more as it continues SE but just doesn't look like a widespread severe threat.

Offline Vols1

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »
I live in south east Dickson county and itís been a looong time since Iíve heard thunder so loud and often and the amount of rain that has fallen is crazy. I bet weíve had 3 inches in an hour

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 610
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2020, 03:14:19 PM »
Evidently the Flash Flood guy is asleep at NWS. Holy rain Batman.

Offline Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1624
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2020, 03:25:15 PM »
I live in south east Dickson county and itís been a looong time since Iíve heard thunder so loud and often and the amount of rain that has fallen is crazy. I bet weíve had 3 inches in an hour
Yep!! Had to drain our pool a while ago. It was almost to the top. And more coming from our friend Dyersburg!  ::drowning::

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »
I have been working a church fireworks stand and this year we have had to knuckle down 3 times already, this evening that storm line is gonna make it 4 , I don't like that bow I am seeing

Offline byrdymush

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2020, 10:17:36 PM »

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2020, 06:24:53 PM »
The ridging pattern this summer gives me a bit of concern for the Gulf Coast/Southeastern USA if that holds into August and beyond.

The pattern tends to focus the most intense ridging over the Great Lakes area and/or Desert Southwest/Permian Basin area.  This does prevent us from seeing the worst of the heat at least at this time, but it also allows for weaknesses to develop right along the Gulf Coast and SE Coast leaving that area very vulnerable to tropical storm/hurricane threats later this summer into the early fall.   

* Recent Posts

2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by BRUCE
[Today at 04:21:11 PM]
August 2020
by StormNine
[Yesterday at 06:11:09 PM]
Hurricane Isaias
by gcbama
[August 04, 2020, 09:45:06 AM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by StormNine