* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: July 2020  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 532
Re: July 2020
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »
I'm going to date myself compared to some of you younger ones, but humor me as I think some of y'all my age and older will remember these in the Nashville area:

Local station weather people in Nashville over the years:

WKRN- During the 1980s, it was Tom Siler and Davis Nolan... Davis was kind of the secondary weekend guy, as I recall. When Siler left, I think he was promoted and became the primary for years. Some time in the early 1990s, Lisa Patton showed up as secondary, and Neil Orne also covered weather for a while. A few others came and went. Lisa became the primary after a while, and Davis stepped down to part time and reduced his on-air time, where he's been ever since, but they've retained his voice as a veteran, and I've always enjoyed when he's on. I think Lisa Patton retired from the station a few years ago. I'm probably overlooking some significant people, but my memory grows hazy since the 2000s.

WSMV - Bill Hall was THE weatherman in Nashville for generations, it seems like. He was the constant from the 1970s until the mid 2000s when he retired. He brought a confidence and comfort to the airways with his down-to-earth way of communicating. Most beloved, in a lot of ways, I think. Here are a few others from WSMV over the years:

Dan McDaniel - weekend, daytime, and frequent evening fill-in during the 1980s into the early 1990s.

Keith Bilbrey- some might remember him more for broadcaster roles with the Opry, WSM radio, and other related gigs. But, I remember him most for doing the morning weather for the Ralph Emery Show... which was sort of an old-school local variety show in the early mornings on WSMV, complete with musical guests and in-studio live commercial advertisements by local businesses. I mainly watched it to catch the Snowbird Report during the school winter months. :)

Mike Bohan - bearded, stout, and likable gentleman who was also a weather fill-in and occasional regular on mornings and weekends until he got a radio show gig with Gerry House (the House Foundation).

James Lewis - came on the scene in the 1990s I think. Likable, albeit quirky guy. I enjoyed his reports when he came on.

Nancy Van Camp - daytime and weekend weather person for a long time. She was one of the ones that got the raw deal by WSMV's management at the time a few years back, along with Demetria, Dennis Ferrier, and some others.

Lisa Spencer - pretty much the primary since Bill Hall I think.

There were others that I can see in my mind, but I'm drawing a blank on their names at the moment.

WTVF -

Ron Howes, like Bill Hall, was a staple for years. He also carried a confidence and experience to be trusted

Joe Case - daytime weather guy for a long time... especially during Channel 5's day time show "Talk of the Town."

Lelan Statom - weekend and morning weather guy for a long while. I think he was promoted when Howes retired.

Charlie Neese- youthful, likable guy during the 2000s- he left several years ago, I think.

With all these stations, it seems like it's been a revolving door for the last 10-15 years, and I can't keep up. So, my mind tends to go back 20+ years. I guess I'm getting old.

You can find old local broadcasts on Youtube. I have enjoyed going back and looking at portions of news and weather casts from the 1980s.
"To say you have no choice... is a failure of imagination."
                                                           - Jean Luc Picard

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 02:59:15 PM »
Memphis legends from the past- 2 of them Dave Brown and Jim Jaggers(who is still on air).

https://youtu.be/bBnzscR6q0Y

Offline wmp600

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 440
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 03:37:24 PM »
I'm going to date myself compared to some of you younger ones, but humor me as I think some of y'all my age and older will remember these in the Nashville area:

Local station weather people in Nashville over the years:

WKRN- During the 1980s, it was Tom Siler and Davis Nolan... Davis was kind of the secondary weekend guy, as I recall. When Siler left, I think he was promoted and became the primary for years. Some time in the early 1990s, Lisa Patton showed up as secondary, and Neil Orne also covered weather for a while. A few others came and went. Lisa became the primary after a while, and Davis stepped down to part time and reduced his on-air time, where he's been ever since, but they've retained his voice as a veteran, and I've always enjoyed when he's on. I think Lisa Patton retired from the station a few years ago. I'm probably overlooking some significant people, but my memory grows hazy since the 2000s.

WSMV - Bill Hall was THE weatherman in Nashville for generations, it seems like. He was the constant from the 1970s until the mid 2000s when he retired. He brought a confidence and comfort to the airways with his down-to-earth way of communicating. Most beloved, in a lot of ways, I think. Here are a few others from WSMV over the years:

Dan McDaniel - weekend, daytime, and frequent evening fill-in during the 1980s into the early 1990s.

Keith Bilbrey- some might remember him more for broadcaster roles with the Opry, WSM radio, and other related gigs. But, I remember him most for doing the morning weather for the Ralph Emery Show... which was sort of an old-school local variety show in the early mornings on WSMV, complete with musical guests and in-studio live commercial advertisements by local businesses. I mainly watched it to catch the Snowbird Report during the school winter months. :)

Mike Bohan - bearded, stout, and likable gentleman who was also a weather fill-in and occasional regular on mornings and weekends until he got a radio show gig with Gerry House (the House Foundation).

James Lewis - came on the scene in the 1990s I think. Likable, albeit quirky guy. I enjoyed his reports when he came on.

Nancy Van Camp - daytime and weekend weather person for a long time. She was one of the ones that got the raw deal by WSMV's management at the time a few years back, along with Demetria, Dennis Ferrier, and some others.

Lisa Spencer - pretty much the primary since Bill Hall I think.

There were others that I can see in my mind, but I'm drawing a blank on their names at the moment.

WTVF -

Ron Howes, like Bill Hall, was a staple for years. He also carried a confidence and experience to be trusted

Joe Case - daytime weather guy for a long time... especially during Channel 5's day time show "Talk of the Town."

Lelan Statom - weekend and morning weather guy for a long while. I think he was promoted when Howes retired.

Charlie Neese- youthful, likable guy during the 2000s- he left several years ago, I think.

With all these stations, it seems like it's been a revolving door for the last 10-15 years, and I can't keep up. So, my mind tends to go back 20+ years. I guess I'm getting old.

You can find old local broadcasts on Youtube. I have enjoyed going back and looking at portions of news and weather casts from the 1980s.
I remember all of them. They were all good too. I am even older. I remember Boyce Hawkins on 4, Bob Lobertini on 5 & also George Goldtrap tossing his chalk on 4. Tom Siler was the first one I remember on 2. Nobody used to ever watch 2 for the longest time going back to when it was Channel 8.

Offline wmp600

• Shower
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »
Memphis legends from the past- 2 of them Dave Brown and Jim Jaggers(who is still on air).

https://youtu.be/bBnzscR6q0Y
Every time I see Dave Brown I wonder where Lance Russell is & figure some wrestlers will be showing up too. I think Jerry Lawler nicknamed him Howdy Doody.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 03:46:51 PM »
I remember all of them. They were all good too. I am even older. I remember Boyce Hawkins on 4, Bob Lobertini on 5 & also George Goldtrap tossing his chalk on 4. Tom Siler was the first one I remember on 2. Nobody used to ever watch 2 for the longest time going back to when it was Channel 8.

I've heard my family talk about Bob Lobertini and George Goldtrap, but they were a bit before my time and/or recollection.

Interestingly, Pat Sajak (yep, Wheel of Fortune, THAT Pat Sajak) did weather on Channel 4 here in the 1970s for a bit. John Tesh was also an anchor for a while, although I'm not sure anyone under 30 even knows who he is..

And, Oprah Winfrey was a reporter on Channel 5 back in those days, I think.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:52:27 PM by Thundersnow »
                                                           - Jean Luc Picard

Offline wmp600

• Shower
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »
I've heard my family talk about Bob Lobertini and George Goldtrap, but they were a bit before my time and/or recollection.

Interestingly, Pat Sajak (yep, Wheel of Fortune, THAT Pat Sajak) did weather on Channel 4 here in the 1970s for a bit. John Tesh was also an anchor for a while, although I'm not sure anyone under 30 even knows who he is..

And, Oprah Winfrey was a reporter on Channel 5 back in those days, I think.
I remember all of them when they were in Nashville. Bob Lobertini & Boyce Hawkins had alcohol issues & died in sad situations. I remember  Sajak doing weather. That's how Dan Miller ended up as Sajak's Ed Mcmahan on the short lived talk show.

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1495
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
Danielle Breezy  8)  ::hot::
"I like the cold weather. It means you get work done." - Noam Chomsky

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 08:54:39 AM »
Good morning, and congratulations on making it halfway through 2020. We're not quite sure what Mother Nature has up her sleeve for this month, but at least it shouldn't involve snow.

Actually, the way this year's been going, we won't rule that out either.

Happy 2nd half of 2020 from the NWS of Nashville. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:01:01 AM by StormNine »

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 09:12:38 AM »
Pilot program allows personal delivery devices on walkways ó A bill allowing delivery robots to operate at low speeds on sidewalks and crosswalks in a pilot program in Tennessee has been approved by the Tennessee General Assembly. The robots wonít be able to exceed 10 miles per hour and must be equipped with a braking system to come to a controlled stop. The robots have sensors that stop them when approaching a person, animal, or item. They would only operate in pedestrian areas and must be clearly marked, including contact information. The new law does not preempt local governmentsí ability to regulate the personnel delivery devices if necessary for public safety.
Up next in 2020, robot apocalypse. They start by delivering packages, but world domination is next.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 09:24:58 AM »
July: Robot Apocalypse

August: Hurricane Apoccalpyse: Gulf Coast/Northern Mexico

September: Hurricane Apocalypse and Super Swine Flu plus COVID-19 mutates to infect the robots

October: 100 degrees all the way to Cincinnati, OH and upper 80s/lower 90s on Halloween plus all of the above listed above

November: Turkeys become mutants and get revenge on us for eating them on Thanksgiving

December:  Finishes with below-average temperatures and above-average snowfall across the entire area. 

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »
Selmer, TN made Weather Nation due to their flooding this morning. 

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2186
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »

September: Hurricane Apocalypse and Super Swine Flu plus COVID-19 mutates to infect the robots

October: 100 degrees all the way to Cincinnati, OH and upper 80s/lower 90s on Halloween plus all of the above listed above

November: Turkeys become mutants and get revenge on us for eating them on Thanksgiving

December:  Finishes with below-average temperatures and above-average snowfall across the entire area.
november epic tornado outbreak across mid south. Donít forget that one ...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 09:33:52 AM »
Selmer, TN made Weather Nation due to their flooding this morning.
They had 8 inches of rain overnight. The 911 center flooded and was evacuated.

Thereís another potent shortwave coming through this afternoon thatís in Nebraska and Missouri now.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »

+Nomination for post of the year.
                                                           - Jean Luc Picard

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
That should be a nice way to cover up the destruction left behind after July-November  ::rofl::

* Recent Posts

August 2020
by schneitzeit
[Today at 09:48:55 PM]
2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by BRUCE
[Yesterday at 04:21:11 PM]
Hurricane Isaias
by gcbama
[August 04, 2020, 09:45:06 AM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by StormNine