* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: July 2020  (Read 9562 times)

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2227
Re: July 2020
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2020, 04:14:07 AM »
After everything we've been through this year with the virus, riots, job losses etc on top of the tornadoes here in Middle TN that turned a lot of lives upside down, you're HOPING we get an outbreak in the Fall?!?!? Pardon my french, but you're an ***hole.
i take one in the winter ... thanks for your kind words sir ...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2020, 06:07:25 AM »
It's good to see that at least one aspect of our world is returning to normal, Bruce is getting hammered over his desire to see severe weather. schneitzeit if you'll jump in and get the cross-generational insults going back and forth with him the forum will almost seem like its old self for a little while.  >:D

Offline TNHunter

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2020, 08:18:34 AM »
I am going to be cautiously optimistic about this winter returning to more ďnormalĒ conditions. Heck Iíd take any winter over 18-19 and 19-20.  Those are the first two snow shut outs Iíve experienced that I know in my life time.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2020, 08:27:42 AM »
If the pandemic has done anything, surely it's cut carbon emissions- maybe global warming will be reversed for the coming winter.  >:D ::blowtorch::

(funny how the political hot button issue of AGW/CC seems tame compared to other things nowadays)

Offline nrgJeff

• Sunny
  • Embrace Dixie while the Plains is quiet.
    • Linked In
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
Haha I do miss the clear skies in April with so much lower than normal particulate SO2 and other emissions, but glad ppl are back at work. However we found some quality dark sky Sunday evening for Comet Neowise.

Been too long. Forgot how gorgeous is the Milky Way and just hundreds of closer stars. Comet is visible unaided eye in rural areas, northwest sky below the Big Dipper. More than a fuzzball, tail is discernible naked eye rural. Sight is gorgeous and delicate through binoculars rural. In town binoculars still give a solid view, just less contrast. Easy to find dropping down from Big Dipper.

Of course check cloud forecasts. Be optimistic. Following afternoon thundershowers, cloud debris sometimes clears out just-in-time JIT evenings. Fri/Sat didn't really work here but Sunday we took the gamble on JIT clearing (easy call by 9pm Eastern). Positioned rural by 10 pm and enjoyed the show. Remained visible until shortly after 11 Eastern.

I think Southeast Tennessee (perhaps southern Middle Tenn and West Tenn) will have JIT clearing tonight Monday eve. Tuesday JIT is less likely but possible. Could be tricky Wed/Thu. Hoping for more JIT clearing by the weekend evenings.

As for fall, I'm hoping the atmosphere is getting ridge out of its system; but, there's always pesky SER risk when the Upper Midwest ridge settles down. Winter, I give up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:26:13 AM by nrgJeff »
Jeff H
Energy Meteorologist - U. of Kansas
Thoughts are my own.

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »
Haha I do miss the clear skies in April with so much lower than normal particulate SO2 and other emissions, but glad ppl are back at work. However we found some quality dark sky Sunday evening for Comet Neowise.

Been too long. Forgot how gorgeous is the Milky Way and just hundreds of closer stars. Comet is visible unaided eye in rural areas, northwest sky below the Big Dipper. More than a fuzzball, tail is discernible naked eye rural. Sight is gorgeous and delicate through binoculars rural. In town binoculars still give a solid view, just less contrast. Easy to find dropping down from Big Dipper.

Of course check cloud forecasts. Be optimistic. Following afternoon thundershowers, cloud debris sometimes clears out just-in-time JIT evenings. Fri/Sat didn't really work here but Sunday we took the gamble on JIT clearing (easy call by 9pm Eastern). Positioned rural by 10 pm and enjoyed the show. Remained visible until shortly after 11 Eastern.

I think Southeast Tennessee (perhaps southern Middle Tenn and West Tenn) will have JIT clearing tonight Monday eve. Tuesday JIT is less likely but possible. Could be tricky Wed/Thu. Hoping for more JIT clearing by the weekend evenings.

As for fall, I'm hoping the atmosphere is getting ridge out of its system; but, there's always pesky SER risk when the Upper Midwest ridge settles down. Winter, I give up.

Yeah we get really fired up in winter time, however last winter I didn't drink any kool aide and so I wasn't disappointed....had my first real measurable snow in 2 years at 1 inch lol

Offline Mister2011

• Shower
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
Took this shot of Neowise from Hardin Valley area of Knoxville Saturday. No hale bopp but mesmerizing nonetheless, definitely worth going out of your way to see ::popcorn::

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2020, 08:16:19 PM »
Pretty good little storm cell rolling through Knox right now.

Edit that the SVR warning popped right after the original post.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:26:56 PM by cgauxknox »

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1543
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2020, 08:34:12 PM »
It's good to see that at least one aspect of our world is returning to normal, Bruce is getting hammered over his desire to see severe weather. schneitzeit if you'll jump in and get the cross-generational insults going back and forth with him the forum will almost seem like its old self for a little while.  >:D

hoping. To see some severe... hopefully around fall winter also... looks like favorable pattern. can see se ridge building for nov dec months... thinkin big outbreak for west tn and arklamiss area...

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1543
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2020, 08:36:10 PM »
I am hoping we can get a classic severe weather event slash outbreak during this la nina winter

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2020, 09:33:03 AM »
The models way overdid the heat forecasts about 10 days ago- when it looked like endless upper 90ís. Itís till hot donít get me wrong, but it just couldnít see the weakness triggering afternoon storms. Heights never rose to those awful predictions. After a week or so looks like the heat might push further west and leave us in a northwest flow with high temps around 90. The night times have had lows still bearable according to my standards anyways. Weíve been able to sit outside most nights comfortably.

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
The models way overdid the heat forecasts about 10 days ago- when it looked like endless upper 90ís. Itís till hot donít get me wrong, but it just couldnít see the weakness triggering afternoon storms. Heights never rose to those awful predictions. After a week or so looks like the heat might push further west and leave us in a northwest flow with high temps around 90. The night times have had lows still bearable according to my standards anyways. Weíve been able to sit outside most nights comfortably.

Yep everything is always overblown 10+ days out, BUT like you say mid 90's is still nasty. One thing I have noticed is that Nashville now truly has an urban heat island effect usually 1-2 degrees warmer than everybody else for highs and of course at night always about 4-5 degrees warmer

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 663
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2020, 03:07:56 PM »
Yep everything is always overblown 10+ days out, BUT like you say mid 90's is still nasty. One thing I have noticed is that Nashville now truly has an urban heat island effect usually 1-2 degrees warmer than everybody else for highs and of course at night always about 4-5 degrees warmer
BNA is so warm during the day the ASOS actually fails MADIS quality control checks. JWN is a more accurate representation of Nashville outside of the downtown core.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2020, 11:01:16 AM »
Looks like we *might* get a rare cold front passage for late July next week with a brief drop in DP's into the 50's. That usually means 80's for highs...but maybe some nice "cool" mornings for a couple days.

Online NismoWx

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2020, 11:55:20 AM »
Looks like we *might* get a rare cold front passage for late July next week with a brief drop in DP's into the 50's. That usually means 80's for highs...but maybe some nice "cool" mornings for a couple days.

I hope it actually makes it. I have some things to do outside that I've been putting off until cooler mornings. I don't work for free in  ::blowtorch::

* Recent Posts

2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by cgauxknox
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]
September 2020
by snowdog
[Today at 09:23:32 AM]
Slowpoke Sally
by NismoWx
[Yesterday at 12:44:23 PM]
Yellowstone Caldera Activity
by Nashville_Wx