* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: NWS Survey on Proposed WWA Product Changes  (Read 388 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 532
NWS Survey on Proposed WWA Product Changes
« on: June 12, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »
They are asking for public input:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/publichazsimp

For decades, the National Weather Service (NWS) has used the "Watch, Warning, and Advisory" (WWA) system to make users aware of expected weather and water hazards. Extensive social science research with NWS meteorologists, core partners, and the public has found that these three WWA terms can be misunderstood and/or confused. The concern with such confusion is that it could contribute to inappropriate responses by our partners and public.

Based on this research, we are now proposing a major change to the WWA system. To guide a future decision on this proposal, we need your feedback.

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. We appreciate your valuable insights!

Public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average 15 minutes per response, including the time for reviewing instructions, searching existing data sources, gathering and maintaining the data needed, and completing and reviewing the collection of information. Send comments regarding this burden estimate or any other suggestions for reducing this burden to: HazSimp@noaa.gov

Notwithstanding any other provisions of the law, no person is required to respond to, nor shall any person be subjected to a penalty for failure to comply with, a collection of information subject to the requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act, unless that collection of information displays a currently valid OMB Control Number (0648-0342).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:26:35 PM by Thundersnow »
"To say you have no choice... is a failure of imagination."
                                                           - Jean Luc Picard

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
Re: NWS Survey on Proposed WWA Product Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 01:39:25 PM »
So, I took the survey. It seems what is being proposed is a discontinuation of things like "advisory," "special weather statement," and "short term forecast."

"Advisories" will be replaced with just a plain language headline of what it is (i.e."flooding is occurring" rather than "flood advisory") if it does not rise to the level of "warning" criteria.

"Special Weather Statement" will just become "Weather Message"
"Short Term Forecast" will just become "Now"

I guess it's fine. The only feedback I gave was that I didn't see the need of doing away with the term "advisory" since it's something that draws attention but maybe doesn't rise to the level of a "warning." But, maybe the public gets confused by that term- I'm not sure.

I think the other two changes make sense, although I think I'll miss the "special weather statement" out of nostalgia. :)

If you want to change "short term forecast" to "now" - then fine, whatever.

::pondering::

The verbiage of "watches" and "warnings" will remain the same.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:41:11 PM by Thundersnow »
                                                           - Jean Luc Picard

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 03:51:19 PM »
I hate that they have to do this. The biggest problem is that people are just dumb.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 05:19:00 PM »
I still remember the really bad made-for-TV movie, "Night of the Twisters," when they actually confused the difference between a watch and a warning.

In the movie, the weather person on the TV said something about a "tornado warning" being in effect that day. But, when things really started to hit the fan, they broke in with something like, "well, folks, our tornado warning is be UPGRADED to a tornado watch!"

I think I literally  ::doh:: ::doh:: ::doh::  ::bangingheadintowall:: ::bangingheadintowall:: ::bangingheadintowall::

How does that make it to the dialog scripts through the acting, production, post-production, review and editing. And, NO ONE had the basic knowledge to catch and correct that?

I guess we take those things for granted as obvious in a savvy weather community.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:22:21 PM by Thundersnow »
                                                           - Jean Luc Picard

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 06:55:11 PM »
For Joe and Joelle B. Public the word advisory can confuse them.  Especially some of the other usages of it like Boil Water Advisory or Parental Advisory that make that word sound direr than it is.

Perhaps bringing back the old traveller thing instead of a Winter Weather Advisory might work for winter weather.

I feel like a better change would be dropping the SPC risk names and keeping the numbers.  Just educate the public that 5 is the worst and 1 mean isolated severe and there are numbers in between.  Doing that keeps the KISS principale alive while still maintaining the same message.     

Offline JKT1987

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
Essentially what they are wanting to do is consolidate the purpose of advisory and SPS products (short term forecasts as well...but those have become pretty rarely issued nowadays) into one single generic product. No hard criteria....just issued on an as-needed basis for expected or ongoing events below needing a warning. They don't even want a new name for it...to avoid introducing new confusion. It would just be a headline followed by details below much like is already in advisory products.

Examples...

There has been some social science studies that show the general public...for whatever reasons...perceive the term "advisory" as more significant as "warning". Perplexing to me...but most of us aren't in the general public category so maybe it's hard to be in their shoes. We'll see what happens...probably at least a couple years from this being a reality...if at all.

In the meantime... NWS is in the process of consolidating a lot of the other naming used for advisory products out there like they have done for winter weather products a few years ago. Things like "urban and small stream" flood advisories are all going to be just flood advisories soon...

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 11:55:29 PM »
I actually do find the flood products confusing.

Simplifying those would be a good thing IMO.

There seems to be a difference between a “flood” and “flash flood” watch or warning, since I’ve seen issuances use either wording. I assume the difference is whether the flood happens in a “flash” or more slowly, but that doesn’t seem very clear.

The river products leave me scratching my head too- when sometimes it’s a warning and sometimes an advisory- the difference being in severity I assume.
                                                           - Jean Luc Picard

* Recent Posts

2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by cgauxknox
[Today at 02:56:45 PM]
Eastern Tennessee Seismic Zone Activity
by mamMATTus
[Today at 02:51:35 PM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by TNHunter
[Today at 07:48:02 AM]