* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Easter 2020 Severe Threat  (Read 20633 times)

Offline Uncle Nasty

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: Easter 2020 Severe Threat
« Reply #345 on: April 13, 2020, 09:53:28 PM »
They were on wall to wall coverage starting at 6 PM. Our news market covers a lot of north GA as well, and earlier storms were warned in that area. They never broke coverage and were tracking this storm as it was warned in Dade county Ga. The trip over lookout mountain interrupted its inflow and it lifted over Walker county. I noticed the inflow notch strengthening over Catoosa County and moved my family to our safe place. The warning for Hamilton went off about 3 minutes later. TOR-E was about 2 minutes after we had power flashes and freight train noises outside.

Still no power here. Officially the longest outage of my life now. All my Coronavirus food supplies are trash. Iíll be buying a generator after this. I donít care if I never have to use it. I donít want to be caught this unprepared again.
Is the food in your freezer still good? If it is and you have a lot you don't want to lose you are more than welcome to put it in our garage freezer. We can make room. We also have a little space available in the garage beer fridge. The freezer in that is 1/2 full. We live in Ooltewah about 1 mile from the exit

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline NismoWx

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #346 on: April 13, 2020, 10:25:43 PM »
For those who claimed bust.... Here's your crow. Would you like that with a fork?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #347 on: April 14, 2020, 05:21:54 AM »
Initial storm survey indicates than the path was 9 miles in length and just under a mile wide. I canít believe how wide the damage path is. I donít even think the Apison EF4 was that wide. Mustíve been a monster wedge.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015: 10.25 in.
Winters 2015-2019: basically nothing
Winter 2019-2020:
2/8/20: 4.25Ē

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2020, 05:23:36 AM »
Is the food in your freezer still good? If it is and you have a lot you don't want to lose you are more than welcome to put it in our garage freezer. We can make room. We also have a little space available in the garage beer fridge. The freezer in that is 1/2 full. We live in Ooltewah about 1 mile from the exit

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I appreciate this a lot, but I have a standing offer from a relative to borrow a generator. The USDA says I have until tonight to save my frozen foods, but the refrigerated stuff is trash. My EPB app now says next Tuesday for power at my house. Apparently their entire distribution system from TVA for this side of town was destroyed.
Winter 2019-2020:

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #349 on: April 14, 2020, 08:07:16 AM »
For those who claimed bust.... Here's your crow. Would you like that with a fork?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree, I can eat it when I deserve it....my main point was I thought the original pds watch in ms was a bust because of how far north it reached into Mississippi all the way up to Corinth they ended up readjusting the watch ...it was always going to be a big event for central and southern portions of ms,al and Georgia. the shock to me is the chttanooga area storm, much like how Nashville and cookville shocked me...prayers for all who were impacted :(

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #350 on: April 14, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »
I agree, I can eat it when I deserve it....my main point was I thought the original pds watch in ms was a bust because of how far north it reached into Mississippi all the way up to Corinth they ended up readjusting the watch ...it was always going to be a big event for central and southern portions of ms,al and Georgia. the shock to me is the chttanooga area storm, much like how Nashville and cookville shocked me...prayers for all who were impacted :(

I could be wrong, but I think every tornado watch that's hoisted inside a MDT risk has to be a PDS.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline gcbama

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think every tornado watch that's hoisted inside a MDT risk has to be a PDS.

I didn't think so? but I could be wrong ?

that type of situation happens a lot though with these dixie alley events like this , they stretch the watch WAY to the north even though you could see the action was going to be farther south below tupelo for tornadoes. Same for the watch for alabama...the threat was very low for s/w middle Tennessee because it was raining all day long, yet the watch clipped s/w mid tn.....I guess maybe better safe than sorry?

Offline MemphisJDJ

• Thunderstorm
    • Mid-South Storm Chasers
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #352 on: April 14, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »
There was a lot of uncertainty regarding the positioning and movement of the warm front, even after the issuance of the tornado watch

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2312
« Reply #353 on: April 14, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »
think your right . One time it had to be a high risk for a pds watch
Come on severe wx season...

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: April 14, 2020, 08:30:04 PM »
Update: still no power. I have a neighbor that works for an electric repair contractor used by our utility board. He said Saturday or Sunday at the earliest. Despite the relative lack of damage in my neighborhood, all of our tethers to the closest substation have been destroyed. They are essentially rebuilding all of East Brainerdís grid.

I was able to drive through some more areas today after doing some cleanup at my rental house. I have no doubt that this is going to be the costliest natural disaster in local history. A huge number of homes have terminal damage. Most homes in a 1.5 mile strip east of I-75 have damage. Iím talking hundreds of homes. Itís heartbreaking. If it had shifted a mile to the west it would have mostly taken out insured businesses that are closed anyway around the mall. This is just heartbreaking. And itís come at such a tragic time economically.

Latest update from the city echoes the above thoughts. It is estimated that 12000 properties in East Brainerd have been damaged.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:14:25 PM by dwagner88 »
Winter 2019-2020:

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #355 on: April 14, 2020, 11:03:18 PM »
Wow, D-dub, our thoughts go out to you and everyone affected across Ooltewah/E Brainerd.  Knew it was gonna be bad by radar presentation as the TDS went right over Ooletewah proper.  Thankfully, there weren't more injured/killed.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »
*WE* get that. But I imagine most normal people expect NWS/local news channels to prepare them for the impending possibilities. I wonder what Chatt new channels were saying, for anyone who happened to be up watching it...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, the reality of this I fear is there is nothing that can be done beyond what the NWS does already.  If people are not going to pay attention, they aren't going to pay attention.  I think it falls on enthusiasts like us to look out for our friends and family and hopefully there is some trickle down effect from that.  These big events will have people paying attention for a time, but it will eventually quiet down and t hey will again forget.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #357 on: April 15, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »
Update: still no power. I have a neighbor that works for an electric repair contractor used by our utility board. He said Saturday or Sunday at the earliest. Despite the relative lack of damage in my neighborhood, all of our tethers to the closest substation have been destroyed. They are essentially rebuilding all of East Brainerdís grid.

I was able to drive through some more areas today after doing some cleanup at my rental house. I have no doubt that this is going to be the costliest natural disaster in local history. A huge number of homes have terminal damage. Most homes in a 1.5 mile strip east of I-75 have damage. Iím talking hundreds of homes. Itís heartbreaking. If it had shifted a mile to the west it would have mostly taken out insured businesses that are closed anyway around the mall. This is just heartbreaking. And itís come at such a tragic time economically.

Latest update from the city echoes the above thoughts. It is estimated that 12000 properties in East Brainerd have been damaged.

If you need anything I think I speak for all of us, we are here to help in one way or another.  I'd love to help everyone everywhere effected, but will settle for doing what I can for people in our little community here.

Offline Mister2011

• Shower
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8222029/Striking-photos-Mississippi-Tennessee-tornadoes.html

Don't know if anyone has posted these before and after satellite images of the Chattanooga Tornado

My little sister lives in an apartment complex 1,000 feet west of East Brained Elementary School... she is now obsessed (maybe gripped is a better word?) and will likely be joining this forum shortly. Been informing her about dual-pol and radarscope, most any family member has ever engaged me about weather  ;)

We all have that moment in our lives I think that led us here. Hopefully not as strong of an event for each of us that gave us the " weather bug" .

As others have echoed, please reach out if you need help. I do not live in Chatt but grew up there and have lots of family that are itching to do something for their community right now.

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #359 on: April 15, 2020, 01:26:02 PM »
Death count goes up by 1 as the 4 year old Chattanooga boy succumbs to his injuries. Man I am crushed over this one, especially after seeing the picture of the shape he was in. I was really pulling for him.

* Recent Posts

November 2020
by Crockett
[Today at 05:55:42 PM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by Curt
[Today at 05:17:38 PM]
December 2020
by JayCee
[Today at 02:48:51 PM]
2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by schneitzeit