* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deep South Severe Event - January 10-13 2020  (Read 8782 times)

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Deep South Severe Event - January 10-13 2020
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2020, 11:42:41 AM »
Tornado track overlaid on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1tfYf9IOH9BlFh8swgmstK7qsc2d3dgdV&shorturl=1&ll=34.81566495118048%2C-89.97076204999996&z=11

This one is a great reminder that it just takes one. We all look at potential of a big time severe weather day and sometimes let that be the judgment factor of how serious of an event it will be. But as James Spann says, if the whole system produces one tornado and it's over your neighborhood it's your April 27th, 2011. Doesn't take a major outbreak to cause devastation over one area.

As I mentioned the other day I was not impressed with local media. When we had the TDS on radar, one station popped it up for a moment, almost seemed confused by it and quickly went back to reflectivity. I flipped through all stations and not one was honed in on the fact that it had become radar confirmed much less showing the CC product. That is a problem. I understand that the Baron Tornado Index is a nice tool, but throwing out a confirmed debris signature in favor of some algorithm that was indicating high numbers on every single cell is ridiculous. Watched a little of KATV Little Rock the day before and some of James Spann and those guys were on top of it.

Glad all were safe other than some poor horses at a barn in Lewisburg.

WREG did a good job.  Austin actually showed the CC product on air and explained it.

Offline Tamlin

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »
I drove through Lewisburg on my way home from work yesterday. Had you too me to rate it based on the damage, I would have said EF3. The neighborhood on the East side of Craft Rd, maybe 200 yards north of the school, looked obliterated to me. I couldn't/didn't drive up into it, but I have no idea how folks survived it based on the view from the street. The newer neighborhoods that sprung up next to the school were missed by about 100 yards. It came across an open field just north of the school, hit that barn with the horses that so many have posted pics of and then just tore through the neighborhood across the road.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 11:41:39 AM »
I drove through Lewisburg on my way home from work yesterday. Had you too me to rate it based on the damage, I would have said EF3. The neighborhood on the East side of Craft Rd, maybe 200 yards north of the school, looked obliterated to me. I couldn't/didn't drive up into it, but I have no idea how folks survived it based on the view from the street. The newer neighborhoods that sprung up next to the school were missed by about 100 yards. It came across an open field just north of the school, hit that barn with the horses that so many have posted pics of and then just tore through the neighborhood across the road.

No causalities what so ever.  Probably due to the almost 25 minutes heads up from the NWS. That is the one positive out of all this.
I am that guy who is on the front porch getting soaked watching the mayhem because my lust for weather overrides my better senses.  That said when I heard that distinct roar a tornado has I tucked tail and ran into the closet.  If it was enough to hear from a couple miles away it was a fairly significant tornado.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2020, 03:32:55 PM »
Has anyone seen the terminal radar data from the DeSoto tornadoes?  I reached out to NWS Memphis on twitter but they didn't have any loops or screenshots handy. I am going to look for it elsewhere, but I figured I'd ask here.

Offline Hank W

• Thunderstorm
  • Romans 8:28
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
Cool security cam video from Lewisburg. Hard to tell with the lighting, but kind of appears to be multi vortex.
https://www.facebook.com/636540655/posts/10158345858130656?d=n&sfns=mo

* Recent Posts

Hurricane Zeta
by Nash_LSU
[Today at 09:51:55 AM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by Coach B
[Yesterday at 09:35:20 PM]
2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by dwagner88
[Yesterday at 09:12:02 PM]
October 2020