* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: January 2020 Discussion  (Read 16098 times)

Beth, wmp600, Coach B, Scot, angrypug and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1488
Re: January 2020 Discussion
« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
Looks cold and dry next week.  But thatís the way it has been for two years now. Hopefully it will at least get rid of a few insects that have been emerging lately.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #286 on: January 15, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »
Looks cold and dry next week.  But thatís the way it has been for two years now. Hopefully it will at least get rid of a few insects that have been emerging lately.

I'm pretty sure I saw a mayfly in the garage the other day.  ::doh::

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1882
« Reply #287 on: January 15, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »
this cold coming get rid of insects...? Wish

Post Merge: January 15, 2020, 11:24:32 AM
I got buttercups coming out the ground now ... dead middle January , I never seen them that early .
Come on severe wx season...

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 135
« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2020, 11:31:45 AM »
I got buttercups coming out the ground now ... dead middle January , I never seen them that early .

We've had plenty of warm January's before. This isn't the first and won't be the last.

I remember back around 2007 or 2008, the whole east had a crazy warm January and mets on Accuweather (much more popular back then) were joking about mowing their yards in January.

While we've been warm, Alaska is seeing ridiculous cold for them and that is saying something. We just got the wrong pattern this January, if you like snow and cold.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #289 on: January 15, 2020, 11:43:59 AM »
this cold coming get rid of insects...? Wish

Post Merge: January 15, 2020, 11:24:32 AM

I have some pet toads that I keep in my garage.  They have not even hibernated this year and are already thinking its spring doing mating calls.  I am going to have to bring them inside if it does get cold because their bio rhythms are fubared from the warmth.

Online Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: January 15, 2020, 12:09:26 PM »
I have some pet toads that I keep in my garage.  They have not even hibernated this year and are already thinking its spring doing mating calls.  I am going to have to bring them inside if it does get cold because their bio rhythms are fubared from the warmth.

That is really cool.  My granddaughter we are raising would love to do that. She is in the gifted program at school and loves doing that with salamanders and newts.  How did you get started and what kind of frogs are they?

Online Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #291 on: January 15, 2020, 01:01:23 PM »
Buttercups pop up early every year at some point. Next week looks cold. Will probably be dry, but that's how we have done it for the last couple of decades so no surprise there. Either way the pattern is changing. The last month and a half outside of a two day cold spell in December has given us no chance of wintry weather. While whats being modeled now may not be the greatest winter weather pattern ever, it is worlds different from what we've been dealing with. I discovered in the great winter of wasted opportunities in 2015 is that all I really need is a week of cold with snow cover at some point to be mostly satisfied. We didn't get it that year until the third week of February. So there is still plenty of time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:09:20 PM by Coach B »

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1896
« Reply #292 on: January 15, 2020, 02:42:31 PM »
Yep it we don't have any snow by mid febuary, things will not be looking good. That's the way it goes some years, I wish we could at least get a couple of 2-4 inch type events this year at least. At this point I would take a couple of 2 inch events, but not giving up on winter yet. The next 2 weeks and just how much of a step down we have will probably go along way in determining our chances of seeing much winter weather this year. There is always a punchers chance of a big dog in march but for better chances our best time is approaching. Historically our best winter weather potential is last of jan and first 2 weeks of feb. All we can do is hope.  ::fingerscrossed::::popcorn:: ::cold:: ::snowman::

Offline rkhvoljohnsoncity

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #293 on: January 15, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »
We got a couple of 2 inch snows in Johnson City this winter plus a dusting one other time. In good years we get between 20 and 30 inches. Last year we got the 10 inches in early December and another 2 inch snow and the rest of winter was rain. It seems the last time we had a real snowy winter was 95-96 with over 40 inches. The last 10 years there has only been one winter of over 20 inches. I think our average has been 13.3 inches and where I live is 1,800 feet. Take away the 10 inch snow last winter and we only got 2 more inches. We are only at 4 inches this year so unless something really changes there is not much chance of getting 10 inches. The top of Sugar Mountain at 5,300 feet only has 19 inches so far and I have seen them get 125 for a full winter. We can only hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #294 on: January 15, 2020, 07:30:45 PM »
Happy hour GFS always comes through.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Online Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: January 16, 2020, 06:07:20 AM »
Any thing 10 days away does not make me hopeful any more.  If it is 2 days I get excited.  But my fingers are 🤞🏻

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1882
« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2020, 08:21:34 AM »
Time frame January 25th to February 7th roughly has my interest, with the pna and ao nao look to go neutral at least .alo tonhelp will be mjo looks to be in phase 8... this couldnand more likely going be our best shot to score a winter storm outside some suprise shot later... southern jet looks stay very active during this time. Keep fingers crossed friends ...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline VandyMachine

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2020, 08:52:27 AM »
Time frame January 25th to February 7th roughly has my interest, with the pna and ao nao look to go neutral at least .alo tonhelp will be mjo looks to be in phase 8... this couldnand more likely going be our best shot to score a winter storm outside some suprise shot later... southern jet looks stay very active during this time. Keep fingers crossed friends ...

This Bruce post I can get behind 😜.
Located up on the Highland Rim in the eastern part of Cannon County, where the weather is always more interesting!

Offline RABBITT040

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
Where is it!? We need some ⛄️

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2020, 09:49:54 AM »
Happy hour GFS always comes through.

(Attachment Link)

Beautiful lol....at least we will finally be getting our first REAL cold snap since November, hopefully they will come for often and actually become a pattern and we can get at least just ONE good gulf low to dump down some snow :)

* Recent Posts

January 2020 Discussion
by gcbama
[Today at 01:43:53 PM]
The official "no snow" rant thread
by bugalou
[January 20, 2020, 02:59:42 PM]
Eastern Tennessee Seismic Zone Activity
by cgauxknox
[January 20, 2020, 01:24:14 PM]
MOVED: Tornado Outbreak: Tuesday, Feb 5, 2008
by StormNine