* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: January 2020 Discussion  (Read 17863 times)

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: January 2020 Discussion
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »
Nothing beats a good Gulf low with an arctic air mass following behind it, then a clipper system that lays down a couple inches of new snow a day or two later. We used to have way more of those setups than we do now.

Yeah that would be great assuming I have a week off work, a bottle of Xanax, and a couple liters of vodka to get me past the model mayhem in the days leading up to the event.  Having an actual winter storm forecasted a few days out is even more stressful than dealing with snow drought.  That said when it finally happens its euphoric!  ::rofl::

Kids reading, don't be like uncle bugalou - say no to bad habits like meteorology.

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1235
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »
I know this has been a frustrating winter, and as a snow lover myself, I share the frustration... but can some of y'all please take the complaints and wishful thinking to the rant thread? I visit this thread for forecasting and I am frankly tired of sifting through pages of doom-and-gloom posts, as if it will never snow down here again. Mild weather like this during Tennessee winters is not out of the ordinary, as anyone who has lived here longer than 20 years would know by now. We had a pretty frigid November, so the jet was bound to deliver mild air to our region at some point.

There's roughly 60% of winter remaining- a percentage that is fairly flexible- and a pattern change is certainly on the horizon. Some of TN's biggest snowstorms occurred in March.

P.S. Think the mid 1990s-2010s is the only period of warm winters with little snowfall here? Check out how the winters of the 1920s-mid 1950s were.
"I like the cold weather. It means you get work done." - Noam Chomsky

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 899
« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2020, 03:20:41 PM »
Weeks 3-4 look very "winter-like" as far as temps go.  (h/t @RyanMaue)

#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2020, 03:32:48 PM »
I know this has been a frustrating winter, and as a snow lover myself, I share the frustration... but can some of y'all please take the complaints and wishful thinking to the rant thread? I visit this thread for forecasting and I am frankly tired of sifting through pages of doom-and-gloom posts, as if it will never snow down here again. Mild weather like this during Tennessee winters is not out of the ordinary, as anyone who has lived here longer than 20 years would know by now. We had a pretty frigid November, so the jet was bound to deliver mild air to our region at some point.

There's roughly 60% of winter remaining- a percentage that is fairly flexible- and a pattern change is certainly on the horizon. Some of TN's biggest snowstorms occurred in March.

P.S. Think the mid 1990s-2010s is the only period of warm winters with little snowfall here? Check out how the winters of the 1920s-mid 1950s were.

I think we need a thread for complaining about winter complainers.

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1893
« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »

come here for a forecast , no snow for the next 10 days ... there is your forecast ...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2020, 03:41:45 PM »
I think we need a thread for complaining about winter complainers.

I think its just cause there is nothing to really track so what else is there to chat about lol :)

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
come here for a forecast , no snow for the next 10 days ... there is your forecast ...

Add to that no severe wx either!!

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1893
« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2020, 05:34:19 PM »
Add to that no severe wx either!!
actually better chance severe than there is a flurry ... mid week.   Sad
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
actually better chance severe than there is a flurry ... mid week.   Sad

I donít think anyone is or was expecting any chance of flurry or cold this week. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2020, 08:13:37 PM »
I think its just cause there is nothing to really track so what else is there to chat about lol :)
Bingo.  Plus you know all the time I love spending with you fine folks.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Stormwater Inspector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2020, 09:37:46 PM »
Pretty decent rogue cell over Lebanon currently with some small hail. Didn't see that one coming.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2020, 09:53:07 PM »
Pretty decent rogue cell over Lebanon currently with some small hail. Didn't see that one coming.

Iíve been watching that guy. Itís a fast mover too... been traversing Mid TN SW to NE over the last couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 444
« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2020, 04:53:06 AM »
Waking up this morning to torrential rain and a little bit of thunder. Crazy storm for mid January.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #268 on: January 14, 2020, 06:13:21 AM »
From this weekend through next week, at least it looks like near to below average temps. Perhaps, some days not getting above 40. So, thatís a start.

Thereís enough model consistency to expect a colder pattern. Now, whether itís something that will produce or not- well, weíll see.

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #269 on: January 14, 2020, 08:45:41 AM »
From this weekend through next week, at least it looks like near to below average temps. Perhaps, some days not getting above 40. So, thatís a start.

Thereís enough model consistency to expect a colder pattern. Now, whether itís something that will produce or not- well, weíll see.

true...at this point I would take some "average" winter temps, even though average doesn't produce snow here, at least it would be a start :)

* Recent Posts

February 2020
by rkhvoljohnsoncity
[Today at 12:48:01 PM]
January 2020 Discussion
by Michael
[Yesterday at 10:24:16 PM]
NEW SPC CHANGES
by Eric
[Yesterday at 10:04:39 AM]
The official "no snow" rant thread
by bugalou