* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: January 2020 Discussion  (Read 24618 times)

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
Re: January 2020 Discussion
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
I've found that using the wonderful ignore feature is helpful, but every time the ignored message shows up I translate it in my head as a profane insult to my desire for seasonal weather.  Oh well ::shrug::, it seems better to imagine it than experience the actual communication.

Offline Scot

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »
So why do the well respected meteorologist that I follow on Twitter talk about a pattern flip and cold snap being modeled but then I come here and see the exact opposite from some people?  Are the meterologists wrong?  Or are the people here just being antagonistic or just plain negative?

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
When I look long range, I look at temps before anything else. Got to see some near or sub-freezing highs before I even get interested, to be honest. A best-case scenario night-time snow that melts off by 10 AM the next morning, is just not that interesting to me. But, that may now be our best case scenario, since it seems gone are the days of snow-packed roads with snow on the ground days on end, at least in this part of the country. We'll see if that ever changes if some kind of cyclical index ever comes back in our favor.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1977
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2020, 09:09:46 AM »
When I look long range, I look at temps before anything else. Got to see some near or sub-freezing highs before I even get interested, to be honest. A best-case scenario night-time snow that melts off by 10 AM the next morning, is just not that interesting to me. But, that may now be our best case scenario, since it seems gone are the days of snow-packed roads with snow on the ground days on end, at least in this part of the country. We'll see if that ever changes if some kind of cyclical index ever comes back in our favor.
agree exactly ... heck the snow melts now so fast itís crazy... even while itís snowing at night , snow accumulates but soon it stops Starts slowly melt though temps are slightly below freezing ... miss the good ole winters growing up... really do. I have just became to jaded guess
Come on severe wx season...

Offline gcbama

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2020, 09:10:15 AM »
If the depth of the cold air is too deep you risk 1) suppression and/or 2) the air being so dry it's hard to get precip through the column.  As long as we get temps in the upper 20s - low 30s, we'll get snow.  Most of our BEST snows have occurred with the precip 29-34F.  The air carries more water, therefore the snowfall is wet and heavy.  If the temps get too low, the ratios jump up and you get finer and finer flakes, which leads to more snow but less accumulation (if that makes sense).

I don't disagree :) I wasn't talking about snow though, somebody asked about what they thought true arctic air meant so I replied with what I consider arctic air....:) But we cannot have highs in the low 40's and night time lows in the upper twenties for real good snow that sticks around a while...I would like a big gulf low in cold air followed by an arctic shot to keep it around for more than a day or two :)

I agree ...a temp of 29 is perfect if it holds steady and doesn't warm up lol...I cannot remember the last time that temps were above 32 and I got snow though to be honest....it seems like it HAS to be freezing or below and even then the past few years it has been more sleet than anything...of course last year I did not even get a dusting of snow lol

Post Merge: January 13, 2020, 09:12:37 AM
agree exactly ... heck the snow melts now so fast itís crazy... even while itís snowing at night , snow accumulates but soon it stops Starts slowly melt though temps are slightly below freezing ... miss the good ole winters growing up... really do. I have just became to jaded guess

2010 and 2011 are the last years that the snow stuck around for 2-3 days in my area...in 2010 storm here we had around 8-10 inches and it was day 3 after the storm before we saw any melting at all. It was beautiful
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:12:37 AM by gcbama, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
So why do the well respected meteorologist that I follow on Twitter talk about a pattern flip and cold snap being modeled but then I come here and see the exact opposite from some people?  Are the meterologists wrong?  Or are the people here just being antagonistic or just plain negative?

No.  Yes.

Post Merge: January 13, 2020, 09:14:17 AM
I don't disagree :) I wasn't talking about snow though, somebody asked about what they thought true arctic air meant so I replied with what I consider arctic air....:) But we cannot have highs in the low 40's and night time lows in the upper twenties for real good snow that sticks around a while...I would like a big gulf low in cold air followed by an arctic shot to keep it around for more than a day or two :)

I agree ...a temp of 29 is perfect if it holds steady and doesn't warm up lol...I cannot remember the last time that temps were above 32 and I got snow though to be honest....it seems like it HAS to be freezing or below and even then the past few years it has been more sleet than anything...of course last year I did not even get a dusting of snow lol

Yes, agreed.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2020, 11:00:52 AM »
2010 and 2011 are the last years that the snow stuck around for 2-3 days in my area...in 2010 storm here we had around 8-10 inches and it was day 3 after the storm before we saw any melting at all. It was beautiful

I agree we are overdue a good one followed by some real cold. We squandered some great cold snaps in both 2014 and 2015. February 2015 was almost unbelievable that we could be that cold with only nuisance snows. However, you only have to go back to January 2018 to find one that hung around awhile. We had nearly 2" on January 16th followed by three nights of single digits. There was solid snow cover still around four days later, at least over here. No it wasn't a biggie, but we had roads looking like this four days later:
https://twitter.com/BeasleyTres/status/954111477392334848
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:10:53 AM by Coach B »

Offline gcbama

• Supercell
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2020, 11:07:34 AM »
I agree we are overdue a good one followed by some real cold. We squandered some great cold snaps in both 2014 and 2015. February 2015 was almost unbelievable that we could be that cold with only nuisance snows. However, you only have to go back to January 2018 to find one that hung around awhile. We had nearly 2" on January 16th followed by three nights of single digits. There was solid snow cover still around four days later, at least over here.

I don't believe I got in on that one...but to me 2 inches of snow is just bothersome....4+ is what I like...but shoot after past 3 seasons 2 inches of snow would be like a blizzard for me LOL

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2020, 12:30:48 PM »
Nothing beats a good Gulf low with an arctic air mass following behind it, then a clipper system that lays down a couple inches of new snow a day or two later. We used to have way more of those setups than we do now.

Offline gcbama

• Supercell
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2020, 01:07:04 PM »
Nothing beats a good Gulf low with an arctic air mass following behind it, then a clipper system that lays down a couple inches of new snow a day or two later. We used to have way more of those setups than we do now.

2011 that happened last for me...nice 4 inch snow from gulf followed by a clipper next night with light powdery inch or so of snow...stuck around for 3 days :)

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2020, 01:14:44 PM »
At this point just give us a bowling ball low from the 4 corners to give us 5 inches of snow at 31 degrees and it all melts the next day.  Its easy.

I do think late jan early feb has some hope though still.  ::fingerscrossed::

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2278
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2020, 01:37:46 PM »
Iím to the point where even a 1-2Ē snow day would suffice.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline gcbama

• Supercell
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
At this point just give us a bowling ball low from the 4 corners to give us 5 inches of snow at 31 degrees and it all melts the next day.  Its easy.

I do think late jan early feb has some hope though still.  ::fingerscrossed::

so easy yet hasn't happened in years  :(

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 355
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2020, 02:46:03 PM »
Well the positive mojo continues!  Starting this weekend the colder air arrives and just maybe the tracking bus gets rolling

* Recent Posts

February 2020
by rkhvoljohnsoncity
[Yesterday at 04:53:51 PM]
March 2020
by gcbama
[Yesterday at 02:18:00 PM]
Come Check Out One of My Sub Reddits
by WXHD
[February 23, 2020, 08:17:59 PM]
Light Snow Event TN/GA/NC - Thursday 2/20/20
by Shocker0