* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall 2019  (Read 27870 times)

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 425
Re: Fall 2019
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
As tough as it is outside during the day I am at least feeling those first hints that fall is coming.  Several of our evenings in Knoxville have been better than they are in the heart of summer and I'm noticing an occasional cool breeze even during the middle of the day.  It's still insanely hot most days, but those little teases of good weather are there if you watch for them. 

I also admit that it's very easy for me to say this as I earn a living at a desk, but I've been helping a friend build his house and have spent some long days working on his deck, or worse, doing work inside his still unpowered house with no A/C and no air moving at all.  Much respect to all of you that are out in this heat 40+ hours a week doing the work that keeps the world running for the rest of us.

Offline TNHunter

• Sunny
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
Maybe I am just crazy but I think it hasn't been that bad.  I don't know how this summer compares to past statistically but it has felt cooler than normal to me.  Haven't had any extensive heat outbreaks and plenty of moisture.

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1172
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »
Yup, being outside for any length of time is downright miserable.  I've lived here my whole life (40+ years) and never remember it being this miserable.

August 2007 was much worse IMO

But this stretch of heat is up there on the charts. I'm feeling the heat much more working construction at 22 than I was playing football in the heat at 10.
"I like the cold weather. It means you get work done." - Noam Chomsky

Offline joemomma

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 02:19:44 PM »
I was inside much more in '07 than I am now.  My new job requires a good bit of walking between buildings outside, and I'm certainly feeling it.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1741
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »
Maybe I am just crazy but I think it hasn't been that bad.  I don't know how this summer compares to past statistically but it has felt cooler than normal to me.  Haven't had any extensive heat outbreaks and plenty of moisture.
guess we are just getting used to it...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »
This Summer has been statistically normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. We normally have a week or 2 of peak heat which is where itís been. We havenít had a summer which I consider ridiculous in quite some time - with a steady stream of 100ís day after with no relief. The heat this year gets beat back about the time itís trying to get solid. Having numerous nights in June and July in the 50ís- including one morning in July where steam came off the pool like a Fall morning- there are no complaints from me. The colder temps this year as was all winter are just off to our northwest. Theyíve had record cold most of the year. Itís called balance.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »
We have had a fairly steady round of heat the last few weeks.  SE TN even hit 100F.  With that being said August 2007 and Late July/August 2010 were much much worse.  I actually think 2010 may have even been worse than 2007 because the 2010 heatwave had high humidity and lows in the 80s for several days whereas the 2007 one was just really high temperatures for a really long time, like pretty much till the October 18th tornado outbreak that year stopped it.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »

Gfs 2m temps next weekend.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »

Gfs 2m temps next weekend.

That is a perfect way to start College Football Season.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 469
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
It appears weíre in for quite a stretch of dry weather as we head into the first week or meteorological fall.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »
This first 7-10 days (at least) of meteorological fall looks like 90s and more 90s.

I used to get excited on Sept 1st because we could count on the first cool snap being just a couple of weeks away.  I donít really have that expectation anymore. I just assume itís probably going to be more or less hot into October.

Hears hoping we do get some sort of cool snap and taste of real fall this month.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2019, 06:51:06 PM »
This first 7-10 days (at least) of meteorological fall looks like 90s and more 90s.

I used to get excited on Sept 1st because we could count on the first cool snap being just a couple of weeks away.  I donít really have that expectation anymore. I just assume itís probably going to be more or less hot into October.

Hears hoping we do get some sort of cool snap and taste of real fall this month.
yeah... back in my little boy days I can remember going to the local county fair first September...  better have you a pretty good jacket to during the night hours at least...  you can go in shorts and tank top... these days... lol
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:01:42 PM by BRUCE »

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 07:42:57 PM »

Just a few days ago the GFS was consistently showing a sustained cool-down after the middle of this week. Now it looks like the heat will be back en force by Monday.  ::rant::

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2019, 07:57:13 PM »
Just a few days ago the GFS was consistently showing a sustained cool-down after the middle of this week. Now it looks like the heat will be back en force by Monday.  ::rant::

I wonder sometimes if the rules of weather patterns have changed, and the models work off the assumption of the old paradigm. The long range will try to sniff something out that is just no longer realistic in the new reality.

That may be crazy talk, but I really wonder.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2019, 08:06:55 PM »
thats the problem. It was the gfs showing it ... the euro never did... and continues to show much above average ..

* Recent Posts

Fall 2019
by BRUCE
[Today at 09:41:17 AM]
Winter 2019-2020
by Eric
[November 14, 2019, 07:58:27 AM]
Mid November Arctic Front/ Light Snow
by Michael
[November 12, 2019, 10:14:22 AM]

Advertisement