* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter 2019-2020  (Read 5511 times)

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
Re: Winter 2019-2020
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2019, 11:45:32 AM »
sun spot n solar r way over rated ... doubt it has much effect to be honest ... imo..

The data out there shows its minor, but everything I have seen does not combine other factors.  There is not a lot of data here and I think calling it over rated is premature.
More over this does not factor minor changes in Earth's orbit from year to year.  Considering the the ice ages are thought to be caused by earth's orbit extending further out from the sun, and the fact that they are regular occurrences it would back some sort of long term oscillation in earth's mean distance from the sun. 

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2019, 03:11:57 PM »
The space features are important like sunspot data.  The question becomes how much does the cooling influence of the sunspots compare to the warming influence of climate change/global warming.  I think the climate forcing is probably stronger than the solar, but that doesn't mean that we need to ignore the solar forcings as it may impact things like having an active northern jet stream which play a huge role in how our cool season goes down.   

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2019, 07:36:23 AM »
The space features are important like sunspot data.  The question becomes how much does the cooling influence of the sunspots compare to the warming influence of climate change/global warming.  I think the climate forcing is probably stronger than the solar, but that doesn't mean that we need to ignore the solar forcings as it may impact things like having an active northern jet stream which play a huge role in how our cool season goes down.

I disagree. We don't even fully understand solar and it's impact. For the first time the IPCC will have solar forcings in their model output. A good video on solar forcings and climate change https://youtu.be/rEWoPzaDmOA
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:39:43 AM by snowdog »

* Recent Posts

PTC 16
by dwagner88
[Yesterday at 07:20:21 PM]
Fall 2019
by mamMATTus
[Yesterday at 04:52:53 PM]
Winter 2019-2020
by snowdog
[October 11, 2019, 07:36:23 AM]
Major October Hurricane Michael