* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hurricane Barry  (Read 4447 times)

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 425
Hurricane Barry
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:24:14 AM »
With NHC still putting an 80% probability of this system developing into a tropical depression or tropical storm by mid-week I decided to chance starting a thread on it.  Because we saw the MCV that will ultimately spawn this system come through Tennessee it seems like it's worth a thread just to have a place to go back to in the records.

As with all forms of severe weather I'm hoping for minimal impact and obviously no loss of life or property with this storm.  The unique aspect of a system swinging through Tennessee then down through the deep South and out to the Gulf to spawn as a tropical system and come back on shore is just so unique that as weather enthusiasts we have to watch it and see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:26:00 PM by Thundersnow »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1477
Re: Hurricane Barry
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:11:33 AM »
This is a pretty unique system, dropping as a disturbance from the Midwest into the southeast U.S., then into the Gulf, only to turn around for second visit as a tropical system.  I've seen it happen with old frontal boundaries that linger off the coast for days, but nothing quite like this. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Mrs. WXHD

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
Thank you for starting the thread! My family is currently vacationing on Dauphin Island and are watching this closely. This will help us make an informed decision on whether to stay or head out early. Iíve never heard of a storm developing like this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »
Thank you for starting the thread! My family is currently vacationing on Dauphin Island and are watching this closely. This will help us make an informed decision on whether to stay or head out early. Iíve never heard of a storm developing like this before.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope it holds off to let you finish your vacation!  Thankfully you're one of the smart ones who is monitoring forecasts and conditions so you don't get trapped.  As we've seen with other storms over the years, if you find yourself asking whether or not you should leave then the answer is yes!

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 469
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 08:16:08 AM »
Something needs to clear up the toxic algae problem in the Gulf... I hear MS beaches are closed.

This is an effect of the MS River running high and pumping out into the Gulf.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:19:15 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:57:26 AM »
Forecasts this morning are increasingly confident that this will be at least a Tropical Storm,  with a growing chance to reach hurricane status before landfall sometime this weekend.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 469
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:34:07 AM »
You can tell something is brewing in the Gulf... special marine warnings off LA and even a TOR warning around NOLA.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
Track of the potential tropical system looks to go over areas that don't need a huge deluge of rain, mainly the lower Mississippi Valley.  Arkansas in particular would like to see it go somewhere else.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »
Looks like this won't bring much in the way of rain to this end of the state, but it will bring an end to the sunny weather. The GFS is predicting 100% cloud cover starting Friday morning 7/12 all the way through Saturday morning 7/20. Low temps are in the 60's and highs in the mid 80's for this entire period. It will be gloomy, but it won't be hot.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline memphishogfan

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
Huge flooding issues in NOLA already and the system isn't even organized yet.

oh and just for giggles the 3k NAM must be high as a kite.

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Stormwater Inspector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »
Whatever happens with this system after landfall, I want it staying far away from Middle TN. I want dry weather for an extended period of time.

Offline Nash_LSU

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 11:34:47 AM »
oh and just for giggles the 3k NAM must be high as a kite.

::rofl:: Isn't that lower than the lowest ever recorded cyclone pressure? If that materializes, it's been good knowing y'all. I'll report conditions in Baton Rouge to y'all until it wipes me and everyone else in SLA off the face earth.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
Looks like this won't bring much in the way of rain to this end of the state, but it will bring an end to the sunny weather. The GFS is predicting 100% cloud cover starting Friday morning 7/12 all the way through Saturday morning 7/20. Low temps are in the 60's and highs in the mid 80's for this entire period. It will be gloomy, but it won't be hot.

Hopefully, Thursday's front will bring some much needed rain here, but if not, I'll take the clouds and cooler temps.  Ground is cracked and parched from 2 weeks of little rain, and a long stretch of 90's.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »
Even though this isn't predicted to stall out like Harvey (thankfully) the forecast is starting to talk about localized rain amounts of 2+ FEET.  Given what has already happened in New Orleans today and how oversaturated much of the area of potential impact is this is very concerning.  Almost regardless of where it goes it will probably have bad impacts on the ongoing Mississippi River flooding as well.

Just as national attention has largely ignored the slow-moving disaster that is this year's flooding up and down the Mississippi there seems to be relatively little interest in a TS or Hurricane that may have an impact well beyond its wind speed.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 566
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »
NAM still NAMing at 18z.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

* Recent Posts

Fall 2019