* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.  (Read 5113 times)

Matthew and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 115
It's around the corner, may as well get the thread going.  Here's to hoping we manage 4 or 5 pages here by September.  ::hot:: ::sleeping::

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1451
Per my weather station, at 1 pm it's 86 with a dewpoint of 70 giving a heat index of 91.  Yep, it's summer.

The one disadvantage to living in the woods after a wet spring is: trees full of water make my environment more humid thanks to transpiration.   ::hot::  My dewpoint is significantly higher than Knoxville's, where they remain in the lower 60's.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 560
NWS summer forecast.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 376
NWS summer forecast.

(Attachment Link)
I'll take a relatively low chance of above normal temps for a summer forecast in East TN.  Naturally this comes out as we're forecast to challenge if not break record high temps at the end of this week, but the season isn't defined by a single week.

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Here's to hoping for good summer heat for pools/river activities ...but with lower dew points :)

I remember the heat wave year of 2012 . Even though we were hitting 108 to 115 every day for about 8 days here in lewis county, it was a dry desert type of heat...that felt MUCH better than 90 degrees with a 70 plus dew point.

Offline Flash

NWS summer forecast.

(Attachment Link)

That's a lot of blue for them...even on a 0.5 month map.
"By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast." ~ Job 37:10 (ESV)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
NWS summer forecast.

(Attachment Link)

While that's a temperture forecast, it looks very wet to me.  A mean trough just to our west would not only keep the Gulf of Mexico wide open, but would set up a boundary right over us, enhancing lift and rainfall.  Storms would be around almost daily.  Reminds me of 2013.

The same 3 month outlook says little chance of widespread, extreme drought anywhere in the U.S. this year. 

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I've had enough summer now-  ready for it to be over.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
NWS summer forecast.

(Attachment Link)

Certainly looks like frequent troughing is going to be a thing and the polar jet may have spurts of above normal strength for summer.  This has been the case for the past few summers.  West TN looks stormy to me in this general setup.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:53:56 AM by bugalou »

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Certainly looks like frequent troughing is going to be a thing and the polar jet may have spurts of above normal strength for summer.  This has been the case for the past few summers.  West TN looks stormy to me in this general setup.  :)

I hope so... with the forecast over the next week, we're cutting into that surplus of rainfall we received earlier in the year. I turned on the sprinklers last night, because it's about to be hot and dry for several days.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
Re: Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »
I hope so... with the forecast over the next week, we're cutting into that surplus of rainfall we received earlier in the year. I turned on the sprinklers last night, because it's about to be hot and dry for several days.

You don't have to tell me twice.  I absolutely hate long stretches of oppressive heat.  Its awesome occasionally for lake trips and swimming and such, but I need variety in my weather.  One of the main reasons I won't move to Las Vegas despite probably being able to advance in my job faster there.

It gets event worse once the ground drys up and those heat ridges anchor in place and you get weeks without a drop of rain.  ::blowtorch::  At least we have a long way to go there as wet as its been for the past several months.

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
You don't have to tell me twice.  I absolutely hate long stretches of oppressive heat.  Its awesome occasionally for lake trips and swimming and such, but I need variety in my weather.  One of the main reasons I won't move to Las Vegas despite probably being able to advance in my job faster there.

It gets event worse once the ground drys up and those heat ridges anchor in place and you get weeks without a drop of rain.  ::blowtorch::  At least we have a long way to go there as wet as its been for the past several months.

Thank goodness we had that big surplus back in Feb or we might be in trouble already!

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »

I've learned to appreciate wet patterns that can wear on your nerves with too much rain.  I would rather be too wet than too dry. 

And despite an extremely wet pattern from late last year until now, just one week without rain in this heat will begin to dry out the topsoil.  There may be plenty of moisture deeper in the ground, but most food crops can't touch it, along with the widely planted fescue in most lawns.  Yes, too much rain has it's own problems, but too little water is worse.  Life wouldn't exist here at all without it. 

Post Merge: May 22, 2019, 06:06:05 PM
And speaking of too little water, this has got to be the driest 7 day rainfall forecast for TN in the last two years.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:06:05 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
This weather is almost perfect. A few rain showers every few days would be nice, but I've been getting a lot of outside work and hiking accomplished. It was 90 today, but maybe the most comfortable 90 I've ever felt with the low humidity and a constant breeze. I hardly even broke a sweat.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 07:40:21 AM »
MRX's morning disco reads more like August than May with fronts dying a slow death north of the Ohio River.

The ridge flattens over the weekend as a frontal boundary moves down
into the Ohio River Valley and becomes east-to-west oriented. Though
the front remains well off to our north, the flattening of the ridge
may help to spark an isolated shower or storm across our high
terrain and up into SWVA. Sunday night/Monday morning another
impulse rolls through the west-to-northwest flow and into our area.
This will again allow for slight chance/chance POPs across the high
terrain, NETN, and SWVA. Models were previously showing this impulse
coming through on Monday which gave us our best shot of precip of
the extended. However, now it looks like it exits by Monday morning
so most areas stay dry now on Monday. The ridge re-strengthens Monday
afternoon through Tuesday.

Wednesday a shortwave trough and trailing front swing up into the
Great Lakes Region. This weak trailing front approaches our area
giving us another shot of slight chance POPs, though this time
areawide.

Liquid sunshine will be in short supply for most of us through next Wednesday.  Could be worse though.  Check out my sister's location near Columbia, SC:

Saturday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 97. Calm wind.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 73.
Sunday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 100.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 74.
Memorial Day
Sunny and hot, with a high near 101.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 74.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 75.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99.

No thanks; I'll be content with 93 this weekend.
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement