* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.  (Read 20899 times)

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
Re: Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »
I want to see some wind and lightning, come on mother nature.  My body is ready.  ::rofl:: ::rain::

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
You are going to sweat on Tuesday with highs in the low to mid 90s and dewpoints pushing 80F.

The 2nd half of August and potentially September look hot on long term weather models and weeklies.   

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Stormwater Inspector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2019, 05:57:50 PM »
Just a heads up, but KMRX will be down for maintenance for 5 days starting this Monday.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #393 on: August 08, 2019, 06:50:15 PM »
Forecast heat index at Memphis next Tuesday is 113. Then a cold front. Looks like summer has a grit left before September finally arrives and climo starts to take over.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1675
« Reply #394 on: August 08, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »
You are going to sweat on Tuesday with highs in the low to mid 90s and dewpoints pushing 80F.

The 2nd half of August and potentially September look hot on long term weather models and weeklies.
yeah... start September looks to be hotter than august actually... fall going be late this season ... no one shouldn't be surprised... to be honest
Come on severe wx season...

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2019, 05:06:11 AM »
This is actually the 4th longest stretch in Nashville, TN history without a 100F degree.  If that doesn't get achieved later this month or into early September than it will be 8 years since Nashville has last observed a 100F degree day.   

This is a product of how wet the summers have been since then.  It is harder to get to 100F because that extra heat is used for evaporation of all the moisture. 2010 and 2011 were exceptions to that rule.

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Stormwater Inspector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
That 60% chance of storms I saw for days in advance sure did disappear.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 564
« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2019, 07:10:55 PM »
Not so lucky over here in the tropical rain forest.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1470
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2019, 07:12:26 AM »

That's happened twice lately for eastern areas.  Let's hope the mid-week system doesn't evaporate.

In any event, a sure sign that summer's peak is past--I'm hearing the hickory nuts clang on the shed's metal roof frequently now.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #399 on: August 11, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »
Lets see if that lone cell can make it the 75 miles from Jonesboro to my house.  I am taking bets.  These NW flow showers can't quite make it across the river lately.

Post Merge: August 11, 2019, 01:56:06 PM
Cloud debris from the struggling convection in AR may at least keep temps down a tick or two today.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 01:56:06 PM by bugalou, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #400 on: August 11, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »
21 days till fall...just 3 more long hot weeks...

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 442
« Reply #401 on: August 11, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »

I read that as SEC Football is coming.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly – raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.
« Reply #402 on: August 11, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »

Riiiight... we can hope.

I used to say you could count on the first good cool snap between Sept 15-20. Last year we had 90s into October.

Maybe we could get a cool snap preview of fall toward the end of August or near Labor Day, though I don’t really expect it, to be honest.

I just got back from a trip to Alaska... warmest summer on record there. We got hot in the afternoon after dressing in jackets for cool weather.

It’s becoming planet tropical, it seems like. Let’s see if this fall and winter are capable of reversing the trend.

I don’t know if we should be concerned whether the usual “source regions” of polar/arctic air masses are compromised now however.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:09:38 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #403 on: August 12, 2019, 07:26:39 AM »
Riiiight... we can hope.

I used to say you could count on the first good cool snap between Sept 15-20. Last year we had 90s into October.

Maybe we could get a cool snap preview of fall toward the end of August or near Labor Day, though I don’t really expect it, to be honest.

I just got back from a trip to Alaska... warmest summer on record there. We got hot in the afternoon after dressing in jackets for cool weather.

It’s becoming planet tropical, it seems like. Let’s see if this fall and winter are capable of reversing the trend.

I don’t know if we should be concerned whether the usual “source regions” of polar/arctic air masses are compromised now however.

Just my theory, something is causing the oceans to heat. 71% of the world is Ocean and every Nino sets a new global threshold. I don't know if it is magnetic, volcanic, a mechanism we haven't discovered yet, etc, but something is going on.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1470
« Reply #404 on: August 12, 2019, 08:00:49 AM »
Riiiight... we can hope.

Here are some good excerpts from a recent blog by Judah Cohen concerning some of the things you mentioned:

My research is on climate variability on sub-seasonal to seasonal time scales and I try my best not to comment on climate discussions and debates on longer timescales as this is beyond my core expertise.  However, I do want to express that I have been spooked by what I have seen this summer.  There is an article in today’s Washington Post on July's record heat.  There is one line that really resonates with me “This is not your grandfather’s summer” by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres.  I was fortunate enough to visit Paris for a number of summers in the 1980’s and early 1990’s.  On none of those trips did I anticipate or pack for hot temperatures.  Over that decade the warmest weather that I encountered was in April during a fluke one off day with temperatures in the 90’s.  I am having a hard time juxtapositioning the summers in Paris from my memories of cool, cloudy and damp weather and the Paris of 2019 with a high temperature of 109°F; to me it is mind boggling.  I never would have guessed that in my lifetime Paris would fall short of 110°F by just one degree. And it is not just one or two hot days in Paris, as there are always flukes.  There have been many all-time records set this summer across Europe and in many cases by unusually wide margins.  Here in Boston we did not see any all-time record highs but we did just experience our warmest month ever.

And the heat is not simply confined to the mid-latitudes but includes the Arctic as well.  There have been many headlines about the melting of the Greenland ice sheet, and it is looking like 2019 will give 2012 a run for the lowest Arctic sea ice minimum in the satellite era. In August 2012 sea ice loss was unprecedented that may be hard to match in 2019, but 2019 at least second place looks like a lock.   I often look at satellite pictures of Siberia for snow cover, but it is odd to see satellite pictures of Siberia with the region not covered in snow but smoke.

With so many all-time record high temperatures from daily to monthly and from local to global scale, melting glacial and sea ice and widespread Arctic fires it does seem we have numerous highly anomalous weather and climate events all occurring simultaneously.  More than ever I feel that we have entered a “new normal.”  Attribution of an event, a series of events in space and time and collectively across the globe is difficult but the best explanation that I can come up with is increasing greenhouse gases.  And if the theory is correct, or maybe more likely without unforeseen negative feedbacks, the extreme weather of 2019 will only become exacerbated in the years to come.  For me this is very sobering.

Full article here:

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

Winter 2019-2020
by snowdog
[Yesterday at 10:44:06 AM]
General Climate Thread
by Crockett
[Yesterday at 09:45:51 AM]
Fall 2019
by StormNine
[August 22, 2019, 05:25:18 PM]
Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.
by cgauxknox
[August 22, 2019, 07:38:33 AM]
North Atlantic Tropical Season 2019 Thread
by StormNine
[August 15, 2019, 08:12:55 PM]

Advertisement