* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Madrid Seismic Zone Activity  (Read 3059 times)

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
New Madrid Seismic Zone Activity
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:59:19 PM »
New Madrid Seismic Zone Activity

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nm60268341/executive

Anyone feel it? I was asleep.

Edit: two smaller quakes occurred earlier this week in a addition to the one mentioned above all around Dyersburg. Hopefully it's not the start of a swarm.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:17:07 PM by bugalou »

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1674
Re: 3.7 Earthquake near Dyersburg this morning
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 06:39:20 PM »
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nm60268341/executive

Anyone feel it? I was asleep.

Edit: two smaller quakes occurred earlier this week in a addition to the one mentioned above all around Dyersburg. Hopefully it's not the start of a swarm.
i did...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 393
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »
Given that we're talking about the New Madrid fault zone I'd gladly take a swarm of small ones over a big one.  Any time stuff shakes out there it makes me nervous even all the way over here in Knoxville!

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:16:11 PM »
Apocalypse!!!!!!1!!

::panic::

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Stormwater Inspector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 08:20:51 PM »
Could be a foreshock...I doubt it. These bigger one's happen from time to time enough to remind everyone that the NMSZ exists, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. There was a 3.5 I think within the last couple of years. My QuakeFeed app goes off several times a week with 1.0-2.0's in the New Madrid area.

There will never be a warning. You might be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to see odd animal behavior en masse, but that's assuming you put 2&2 together within a decent amount of time. Maybe you're out in a field and happen to witness some sand blow activity...that would definitely be a sign and you would want to get the **** outta there before the ground liquefied.

I'm rambling as I think back to pursuing and attaining that BS in Geology 4 years ago.

Just a friendly reminder that the NMSZ is overdue by 30-50 years for another sizable quake. If that happens you will want to stock up on everything very fast as the transportation issues it will cause will be extreme regionally and moderate at the national level.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:23:55 PM by mamMATTus »

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 09:36:35 PM »
Maybe you're out in a field and happen to witness some sand blow activity...that would definitely be a sign and you would want to get the **** outta there before the ground liquefied.   

Could you explain this phenomenon in greater detail?

Thanks!

ETA: Basically, what is "sand blow" activity?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:38:44 PM by schneitzeit »

Offline NismoWx

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 05:19:49 AM »
Could you explain this phenomenon in greater detail?

Thanks!

ETA: Basically, what is "sand blow" activity?
It's like a geyser, but with sand instead of water. In 1811/1812, they were observed in the crop fields at random before and after the big ones. There was so much pressure underground that it had to come out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline NismoWx

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 05:43:45 AM »
https://youtu.be/GTpznF4vr1Q short video on sand blow formation.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1468
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:25 AM »

There will never be a warning.

Just a friendly reminder that the NMSZ is overdue by 30-50 years for another sizable quake.

I'm reminded of all the hype before the last eclipse about the next one coming up in 2024 crossing the path of the 2017 eclipse and placing an X right over the NMSZ.  I'm not the superstitious type, but it does make me sit up and take notice.  Two eclipses crossing paths within 7 years of each other isn't something that happens every century. 

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline NismoWx

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 10:17:20 AM »
I'm reminded of all the hype before the last eclipse about the next one coming up in 2024 crossing the path of the 2017 eclipse and placing an X right over the NMSZ.  I'm not the superstitious type, but it does make me sit up and take notice.  Two eclipses crossing paths within 7 years of each other isn't something that happens every century. 

I'm listening.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:44:32 AM »
Some of you are old enough to remember this name...

Dr. Iben Browning.

;)

Dec 3, 1990... good times.

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
Some of you are old enough to remember this name...

Dr. Iben Browning.

;)

Dec 3, 1990... good times.

I like the guy, he got me out of school for a day in 3rd grade.

Looks like there was another small quake this morning nearby in MO.  https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nm60268696/executive
Nothing really to worry about IMO, but this is the most activity I have noticed for the area in a 7 day period in a while
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 11:14:03 AM by bugalou »

Offline memphishogfan

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »
Living in NEA If freaks me the freak out to think the next big one could hit at any moment. 

There is a little town east of Manila called Dell.  No more than a few blocks.  A fishing buddy was higher up at Entergy and was in a lot of disaster prep meetings.  He says they were told if another big one hits the area from Big Lake to just east of Dell would be gone.

There is a large cavern under that area that holds water and the earth above that cavern is mostly sand and isnít very deep. 

There are old sand blows all over the place up here.

I keep being cheap and avoiding an earthquake rider to my homeowners but I need to get that added at some point.

Post Merge: April 27, 2019, 12:54:26 PM
At least three other large aftershocks are inferred from historical accounts on December 16 and 17. These three events are believed to range between M6.0 and 6.5 in size and to be located in Arkansas and Missouri. This would make a total of seven earthquakes of magnitude M6.0-7.5 occurring in the period December 16, 1811 through February 7, 1812. In total, Otto Nuttli reported more than 200 moderate to large aftershocks in the New Madrid region between December 16, 1811, and March 15, 1812: ten of these were greater than about 6.0; about one hundred were between M5.0 and 5.9; and eighty-nine were in the magnitude 4 range. Nuttli also noted that about eighteen hundred earthquakes of about M3.0 to 4.0 during the same period.

I canít imagine 1800 3.0-4.0 quakes over the course of 4 months along with the other 200 larger ones.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:55:18 PM by memphishogfan »

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »
Living in NEA If freaks me the freak out to think the next big one could hit at any moment. 

There is a little town east of Manila called Dell.  No more than a few blocks.  A fishing buddy was higher up at Entergy and was in a lot of disaster prep meetings.  He says they were told if another big one hits the area from Big Lake to just east of Dell would be gone.

There is a large cavern under that area that holds water and the earth above that cavern is mostly sand and isnít very deep. 

There are old sand blows all over the place up here.

I keep being cheap and avoiding an earthquake rider to my homeowners but I need to get that added at some point.

Post Merge: April 27, 2019, 12:54:26 PM
I canít imagine 1800 3.0-4.0 quakes over the course of 4 months along with the other 200 larger ones.

Get earthquake insurance on your home!  Even a small earthquake can do very costly damage to the structure of your home.  I have it on my home and it only raised my policy price by about 275 bucks annually.  Money well spent to know I can fix my house if a decent sized quake ever struck us.

Post Merge: April 27, 2019, 01:59:23 PM
More smaller quakes have occurred over the past 72 hours.  This is the most active 7 days I have seen in sometime. 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:59:23 PM by bugalou, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 10:21:30 AM »
NMSZ continues to be more busy than average.  Its something I will certainly be keeping an eye on.

* Recent Posts

Fall 2019
by StormNine
[Yesterday at 06:44:38 PM]
General Climate Thread
by DocB
[Yesterday at 12:47:19 PM]
Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.
by StormNine
[August 18, 2019, 02:48:35 PM]
Winter 2019-2020
by StormNine
[August 18, 2019, 08:45:06 AM]
North Atlantic Tropical Season 2019 Thread
by StormNine
[August 15, 2019, 08:12:55 PM]

Advertisement