* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: severe weather threat april 17th 18th  (Read 3696 times)

Online Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: severe weather threat april 17th 18th
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 08:45:17 AM »
Days like yesterday and today are just about the best weather a person could ask for.  ;)

Offline TNHunter

• Sunny
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »
were not living right maybe ....

I know I am new here, but have been lurking for over a year or so.  Something that amazes me is how many people wish for violent destructive weather, knowing that when that weather occurs lives and property will be lost.  I realize we don't control the weather, but I sure wouldn't ever hope for life threatening weather just so I can track it.  Guess I am just different.  Hope I didn't come off too strong, just can't wrap my head around that one.

Online Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 01:51:01 PM »
I know I am new here, but have been lurking for over a year or so.  Something that amazes me is how many people wish for violent destructive weather, knowing that when that weather occurs lives and property will be lost.  I realize we don't control the weather, but I sure wouldn't ever hope for life threatening weather just so I can track it.  Guess I am just different.  Hope I didn't come off too strong, just can't wrap my head around that one.

You're not alone. Severe weather fanatics try to justify it as saying that a lot of people are fascinated by severe weather. I am, too. If there's severe weather occurring in my area, you aren't going to find me in a basement. I'm going to be outside, trying to capture the moment. Same with a hurricane -- the adventurist in me would love to ride through a hurricane. But there's a difference in being fascinated by it and actively wishing for it to happen. That's why I used to say that if Bruce is going to wish for tornadoes in Tennessee, hopefully it touches down on his house, not mine.  ;D But, in all seriousness, I don't understand it either. I know we're all weather fanatics here, but to Joe Q. Public who has nothing more than a casual interest in weather, it comes across as incredibly callous.

Offline WXRocker

• TN SVR WX AWARENESS FEST: JAN 1 - DEC. 31
  • Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Your TNWX Den Mother
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 01:52:49 PM »
I'll tell you the same way I tell everyone else.  While we enjoy chasing and tracking and learning from severe weather, we NEVER wish for damage or harm to anyone.  If we could get that weather to drop in some uninhabited area, we'd be happiest.  Unfortunately, the only way to learn from severe weather is to have it.  And the more we learn about it, the better equipped we are to prevent more casualties and fatalities.  Thanks for being with us.
Quote from: ERIC
We specialize in @$$hattery.

Welcome to Tennessee, where every day's weather is an exercise in bipolar disorder.

Forum Guidelines

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1614
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
You're not alone. Severe weather fanatics try to justify it as saying that a lot of people are fascinated by severe weather. I am, too. If there's severe weather occurring in my area, you aren't going to find me in a basement. I'm going to be outside, trying to capture the moment. Same with a hurricane -- the adventurist in me would love to ride through a hurricane. But there's a difference in being fascinated by it and actively wishing for it to happen. That's why I used to say that if Bruce is going to wish for tornadoes in Tennessee, hopefully it touches down on his house, not mine.  ;D But, in all seriousness, I don't understand it either. I know we're all weather fanatics here, but to Joe Q. Public who has nothing more than a casual interest in weather, it comes across as incredibly callous.
g thanks bud... lol
Come on severe wx season...

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 02:49:35 PM »
You want boring weather? Try living in central to southern California. The weather there is actually depressing it's so boring.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »
as I have said before I would like to find ONE actual real meteorologist who got interested in weather because he loves clear sunny days.

I could almost bet every one of them got into it because they were fascinated by a particular event "tornado, hurricane, flood, blizzard" and wanted to study and one day help people.

Sorry if I get an adrenaline rush out of severe weather...doesn't mean I want harm to come to anybody or property . And btw my property HAS been hit by an F1 before, it was very scary/ yet still fascinating. Bruce/WxRocker I am with you both on this one.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
You want boring weather? Try living in central to southern California. The weather there is actually depressing it's so boring.

thats a great place to live if your scared of tornadoes 🌪....

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1063
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2019, 03:38:10 PM »

Southern and central CA is depressing with or without the weather. The cities there are terrible places to live in, and the scenery is gross. It's a big brown pasture with dead palm trees. The air is filled with smog too. That place would be my personal He1l.

Offline CT_Yankee

• Derecho
    • My Current Conditions
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »
as I have said before I would like to find ONE actual real meteorologist who got interested in weather because he loves clear sunny days.

I could almost bet every one of them got into it because they were fascinated by a particular event "tornado, hurricane, flood, blizzard" and wanted to study and one day help people.

Sorry if I get an adrenaline rush out of severe weather...doesn't mean I want harm to come to anybody or property . And btw my property HAS been hit by an F1 before, it was very scary/ yet still fascinating. Bruce/WxRocker I am with you both on this one.

This.

It's still a struggle for me personally.  I joined this board back in '06 just before the outbreak of 4/7 and was thrilled that I found a group of weather nuts who I could share my enthusiasm of weather without being judged or accused of wishing for death and destruction.   Now I harness a lot of that curiosity into spreading real time severe weather info to my community, but there will ALWAYS be that part of me that feels a sense of disappointment when things don't pan out while the other part knows in reality there usually is a cost for someone other than myself. 
Aaron
@MarshSevereWx (#tspotter for Marshall Co)

Offline wfrogge

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »

There is a difference between wishing for severe weather and getting excited when there is a chance for severe weather. 99% fall into the last category...... 

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1063
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »
There is a difference between wishing for severe weather and getting excited when there is a chance for severe weather. 99% fall into the last category......

That's a great way to put it. I fall in the latter.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2019, 04:22:44 AM »
they kind to go hand in hand... no difference then wishing for snow, then getting excited for snow when it does snow...     

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2019, 06:14:45 AM »
they kind to go hand in hand... no difference then wishing for snow, then getting excited for snow when it does snow...     

Youíre the other 1%. ;)

Iíll admit- I also get that sense of anticipation when severe weather is forecasted and then that adrenaline rush when itís occurring. Iíve even been known to drive out to a damage path after the fact to see it because Iím fascinated by the destructive power. But, thatís mixed with sadness and a sick feeling when people were hurt or worse.

But, I donít ďhopeĒ for a severe weather outbreak this spring like I would ďhopeĒ for a big snow storm during the winter. Maybe that doesnít make sense to you, but it is different.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:37:47 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2166
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2019, 06:19:12 AM »

There is definitely a big difference in wishing for snow versus wishing for severe wx.

Anyways, back to todayís threat, there is a 10% hatched tornado risk zone for southern MS and AL. Radar looks to light up down there by this evening.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

* Recent Posts

Spring 2019 - Severe Weather Thread
by JayCee
[Today at 09:41:47 AM]
severe weather threat april 17th 18th
by BRUCE
[April 20, 2019, 09:25:01 AM]
Winter 2018-19
by BRUCE