* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: March 13th/14th High Wind Threat/Severe Storms Possible  (Read 3872 times)

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1652
Re: March 13th/14th High Wind Threat/Severe Storms Possible
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Have you ever been through a major outbreak of tornadoes?  They may be fascinating but not so much when your left with a concrete slab and half of your family missing.  So just be thankful that we have not had any so far.
i can understand his thoughts ... yeah I been in one . Seen several violent tornadoes 🌪 up close .... sure he donít want see one.  But itís the storm monger in us ... just part of it
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2186
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2019, 01:44:37 PM »
interesting how quickly they lose rotation once the cross into TN from the south

Post Merge: March 14, 2019, 01:22:32 PM
to the north supercell city....same to the south...yet tn it is losing punch....not that I want it to happen I just don't understand it lol

Up north they have the better upper level dynamics, where as those south are further from the dynamics, but they seem to be making up for it in terms of instability.

Right now we are kind of in the sweet spot (too far from the dynamics/not unstable enough), but that can change this afternoon as instability builds.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2019, 01:44:40 PM »
interesting how quickly they lose rotation once the cross into TN from the south

Post Merge: March 14, 2019, 01:22:32 PM
to the north supercell city....same to the south...yet tn it is losing punch....not that I want it to happen I just don't understand it lol
Read some of the SPC previous MESO discussions and they can usually give you reasoning for "xyz" at "such and such areas."

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
Up north they have the better upper level dynamics, where as those south are further from the dynamics, but they seem to be making up for it in terms of instability.

Right now we are kind of in the sweet spot (too far from the dynamics/not unstable enough), but that can change this afternoon as instability builds.
that perfect example u donít have to have high instability to have a large tornado .... seen plenty outbreaks where shear is very high low cape ...

Offline Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1381
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2019, 01:55:04 PM »
i can understand his thoughts ... yeah I been in one . Seen several violent tornadoes 🌪 up close .... sure he donít want see one.  But itís the storm monger in us ... just part of it
Sorry! I was not trying to be rude.  Living through the outbreak in 74 in North Bama was pretty traumatic. At 12 yrs old and losing half of your classmates it just kind of does some thing to you. It was a night from ****. To me tornadoes mean destruction of property, injuries, and death.  But I do understand the fascination that others have for them. 😊

Offline RABBITT040

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 01:58:23 PM »
I am not a expert but that looks like rotation.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »
 ::cliff:: I
Sorry! I was not trying to be rude.  Living through the outbreak in 74 in North Bama was pretty traumatic. At 12 yrs old and losing half of your classmates it just kind of does some thing to you. It was a night from ****. To me tornadoes mean destruction of property, injuries, and death.  But I do understand the fascination that others have for them. 😊
remember that day very well... was same age here ... though course it was east of us ... that day onward inspired my excitement of severe wx.... like I said. I feel very bad sick to my stomacha see some after effects of one ... sure u was very scared from that event Beth ... sorry

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »
I am not a expert but that looks like rotation.

You would be correct. Need to watch it closely to see if it tightens up.
Mobile chat link:

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
Lawrence county storm may have a chance to do something if it moves a little more east than north away from rain cooled air...a lot of crapvection in between cells today

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Stormwater Inspector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
Wow that threat disappeared quick as the cells approached Nashville.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1441
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »

I was 3 y/o, living in northern KY.  We didn't have a basement, and tornadoes were dropping all around us.  We ended up huddling in our concrete cistern listening to the wind take down several large maple trees in our yard, and the sound of power lines popping and exploding.  Things like that you don't forget even at that age. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2019, 02:25:16 PM »

past several events have been so interesting to me ... the storms look angry coming out of Mississippi only to fizzle ... not saying they won't build back up later across east middle but It is just really interesting

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2019, 02:28:22 PM »

The sounding data OHX just got back showed very marginal instability, but very high shear.

Again, looks like we arenít going to get them to come together for an active day. Thank goodness.
Mobile chat link:

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2019, 02:32:31 PM »
The sounding data OHX just got back showed very marginal instability, but very high shear.

Again, looks like we arenít going to get them to come together for an active day. Thank goodness.

Seems like in Mid Tn we have to have both to really get a big threat, seems that Ms and Alabama can get a few tornadoes just based off of instability, got to love weather , it is truly fascinating :)

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »
Seems like in Mid Tn we have to have both to really get a big threat, seems that Ms and Alabama can get a few tornadoes just based off of instability, got to love weather , it is truly fascinating :)
places to the north of us. Have less instability even. Like Kentucky Indiana .. shear along is keeping the tornado threat up there alive

Advertisement