* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring 2019  (Read 9697 times)

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 884
Re: Spring 2019
« Reply #210 on: Yesterday at 02:38:19 PM »
that is correct.  Sunday nite may 3 2003 ef4 just mile half from my house.... only damage I got were a couple windows knocked out by the golf ball hail it contained ....

Post Merge: Yesterday at 02:03:43 PM
Think last high risk day we have had was late May 2011... that event effected mostly the Ohio valley regions think.... course 2011 was probably last true violent spring south has had ....

March 2012, from what I can remember, was the last HIGH. If LCLs had been lower (caused by afternoon atmospheric mixing, IIRC), this one could've been really bad.  Supercell dropped tennis balls across I-40 into Dickson/Nashville.  Wall cloud spotted in Lavergne/Antioch.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/archive/2012/day1otlk_20120302_2000.html
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline gcbama

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #211 on: Yesterday at 02:52:06 PM »
march 2012 was last high risk I remember that included our viewing area....theat was the Henryville Indiana tornado F4 and several others in KY and also several other ones in Ms and Alabama that day , another one of those weird scenarios where 100 miles north it was devastating and to our south they got slammed yet most of TN was spared

Post Merge: Yesterday at 02:54:31 PM
sorry eric...for some reason I didn't see your post lol. Also the april 2014 outbreak is another one where morning crapvection prevented us from having a really BIG outbreak here in Tennessee....happens a lot.

Lets not forget the 2010 floods were originally a high risk pds severe weather day however it just poured and poured and poured
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:54:31 PM by gcbama, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #212 on: Yesterday at 03:12:08 PM »
march 2012 was last high risk I remember that included our viewing area....theat was the Henryville Indiana tornado F4 and several others in KY and also several other ones in Ms and Alabama that day , another one of those weird scenarios where 100 miles north it was devastating and to our south they got slammed yet most of TN was spared

Post Merge: Yesterday at 02:54:31 PM
sorry eric...for some reason I didn't see your post lol. Also the april 2014 outbreak is another one where morning crapvection prevented us from having a really BIG outbreak here in Tennessee....happens a lot.

Lets not forget the 2010 floods were originally a high risk pds severe weather day however it just poured and poured and poured
may 2010 was the big yazoo city ms tornado 🌪....
Come on severe wx season...

Offline gcbama

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Yesterday at 03:29:45 PM »

that one was a biggie....Hattiesburg is another tornado that has some great video to watch.

I have a question I was under the weather for a week or two and didn't keep up with things as much as I would have liked....

the outbreak which had that large tornado in Lee county Alabama, did spc ever increase risk to moderate or did they just leave it at enhanced all day? IMO spc has had a bad spring so far and was wondering about that particular day because I didn't get to keep a track of it that day....if it was not upgraded to at least a Moderate risk then I consider that a fail on their part for that day, 40 tornadoes several ef2 , an ef3 and ef4

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #214 on: Yesterday at 03:40:08 PM »
Pretty sure it stayed enhanced.... I agree with you
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 557
« Reply #215 on: Yesterday at 03:42:59 PM »
Might have posted before but here is an awesome write up on April 2 2006.

http://www.philip-lutzak.com/weather/meteo361/project_3.htm

Offline gcbama

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Yesterday at 04:07:39 PM »
Pretty sure it stayed enhanced.... I agree with you

again just an opinion, it leads to apathy among the casual average person when threats are not properly forecast...we all know how easy it can change through the day and understand...but the general public says "they cried wolf again" OR it gets under forecast such as the recent Alabama/Georgia outbreak then people really don't take it seriously at all.....it's hard

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #217 on: Yesterday at 04:17:01 PM »
For you newcomers - and old timers that like to reminisce  - here's our thread for the April 7, 2006 event.

https://tennesseewx.com/index.php/topic,99.210.html
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1395
« Reply #218 on: Yesterday at 05:35:38 PM »
Could be some "noteworthy" weather tomorrow.  Nothing extraordinary, but simply worthy of noticing.

Biggest concern will be the low freezing levels which should allow
for some wintry precip to mix in over mainly higher elevation areas.
There will likely even be some light snow accumulations over some of
the higher mountain peaks mainly above 4000 feet, and will continue
to mention this in the HWO. In addition, there will be some limited
convective energy available, so some stronger showers may bring some
pea size hail even in valley locations Thursday due to the low
freezing levels.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #219 on: Yesterday at 07:29:31 PM »
The last High Risk was either 03/02/2012 (Northern Middle and Northeast TN), 5/25/2011 (West TN and West Middle TN) or 4/27/2011 (Southern Middle or Southeastern TN).

We are long overdue for a High Risk event as I believe we have the longest streak without a High Risk since they have been issued in the 1980s.  11/27/1994, 5/4 and 5/5/2003, 1/21/1999, 4/7/2006, and 2/5/2008 are also High Risk Days.   

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1032
« Reply #220 on: Yesterday at 08:13:48 PM »
I'm surprised 16 April 1998 wasn't a high risk day. That outbreak produced the only EF5 in Tennessee as well as the Nashville tornado.

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #221 on: Yesterday at 08:54:43 PM »
that is correct.  Sunday nite may 3 2003 ef4 just mile half from my house.... only damage I got were a couple windows knocked out by the golf ball hail it contained
And later that night, early in the morning the next day, the north side of Murfreesboro got rocked, particularly from US 231 (Memorial Blvd) along De Jarnette Ln to near the rock quarry east of Hwy 96, were hit hard by hail larger than tennis balls embedded within a very destructive downburst. I was 15 at the time at Oakland HS and all the trees were stripped and shredded on their west and north faces, while the other side of De Jarnette, trees were stripped from west and south. Homes lost all windows and have siding beaten off and roofs pecked to bits.

Post Merge: Yesterday at 08:56:35 PM
That tornado happened the weekend BEFORE the big flood, on April 24th.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:56:35 PM by NashRugger, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

* Recent Posts

Advertisement