* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring 2019 - Severe Weather Thread  (Read 57309 times)

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
Re: Spring 2019 - Severe Weather Thread
« Reply #855 on: May 23, 2019, 11:20:18 AM »
Thanks to the era of social media mayhem, this is happening:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/its-a-ticking-time-bomb-meteorologist-claims-storm-chasers-are-becoming-mobs-who-block-roads-create-traffic-jams-and-drive-on-the-wrong-side-of-highways-in-a-desperate-quest-to-capture-viral-content/ar-AABKSNc?ocid=ientp

I first saw evidence of this with the EL Reno tornado on YouTube.  The sad thing is, most aren't doing this for science, but for the thrill and the number of likes on Facebook.  You never saw this sort of thing before the era of social media, and the term "going viral."

I see it like this: We live in a free country and the chasers have every right to be out as anyone else. However, my support for them stops when they are blatantly breaking traffic laws, interfering with EM, and using any type of strobe on their vehicle trying to look pseudo official. I also think the storm chase community should do a whole lot more to organize car pooling just to try and attempt to have less cars on the road.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 892
« Reply #856 on: May 23, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »
Thanks to the era of social media mayhem, this is happening:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/its-a-ticking-time-bomb-meteorologist-claims-storm-chasers-are-becoming-mobs-who-block-roads-create-traffic-jams-and-drive-on-the-wrong-side-of-highways-in-a-desperate-quest-to-capture-viral-content/ar-AABKSNc?ocid=ientp

I first saw evidence of this with the EL Reno tornado on YouTube.  The sad thing is, most aren't doing this for science, but for the thrill and the number of likes on Facebook.  You never saw this sort of thing before the era of social media, and the term "going viral."

No, and very soon, some of these people are going to get hurt and/or killed. 
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1477
« Reply #857 on: May 23, 2019, 01:04:04 PM »
I see it like this: We live in a free country and the chasers have every right to be out as anyone else. However, my support for them stops when they are blatantly breaking traffic laws, interfering with EM, and using any type of strobe on their vehicle trying to look pseudo official. I also think the storm chase community should do a whole lot more to organize car pooling just to try and attempt to have less cars on the road.

I agree to a point.  If they want to risk their own life, that's one thing.  There are more than "free" to run up to the nearest tornado and wave hello.  However, when they are putting others at risk for a selfish need to catch the best video shots, I have a problem with it. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #858 on: May 23, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
I agree to a point.  If they want to risk their own life, that's one thing.  There are more than "free" to run up to the nearest tornado and wave hello.  However, when they are putting others at risk for a selfish need to catch the best video shots, I have a problem with it.

You can chase storms and still follow the traffic laws, allow EM through, and just generally be respectful to the situation.  If a town has been hit by a tornado avoid driving through it to get to your next storm.  Pull off the road for sirens.  Pay attention to more than just your camera.

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 495
« Reply #859 on: May 23, 2019, 02:07:42 PM »
We do have laws against endangering others. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1477
« Reply #860 on: May 23, 2019, 02:23:56 PM »
You can chase storms and still follow the traffic laws, allow EM through, and just generally be respectful to the situation.  If a town has been hit by a tornado avoid driving through it to get to your next storm.  Pull off the road for sirens.  Pay attention to more than just your camera.

That's the problem, perhaps.  They are too caught up in the adrenaline of the chase, or getting that perfect shot to think straight.  They have "tunnel vision."   

Maybe I'm just too old to understand the fascination with social media and pouring so much time and energy into it, and it's not just tornadoes.  People fall off cliffs attempting to get that perfect pic or video to rack up the "likes", go viral, and win the popularity contest.  Maybe that's what it boils down to--the same contest that begins in high school never really ends. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 892
« Reply #861 on: May 23, 2019, 04:26:42 PM »
Prelim survey of Jeff City TOR is EF3.  Survey still ongoing...
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #862 on: May 23, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
Snowbird, UT still has 116 inches of snow on the ground heading into Memorial Day Weekend.   

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 344
« Reply #863 on: May 24, 2019, 08:42:09 AM »
Snowbird, UT still has 116 inches of snow on the ground heading into Memorial Day Weekend.

Alta and snowbird look to extend their season past July 4th- latest on record I think.

Offline ryandourius

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #864 on: May 25, 2019, 04:11:52 PM »
I find it absolutely astonishing that the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma have been under nonstop tornado watches for over the last week. Those people cannot catch a break. 

Offline MSR041933

• Sunny
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #865 on: May 25, 2019, 04:46:37 PM »
And D4 has a 30% that looks to b a doozy👀👀
"The only thing that can stop a BAD guy with a gun is a GOOD guy with a gun"

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1721
« Reply #866 on: May 25, 2019, 05:10:21 PM »
I find it absolutely astonishing that the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma have been under nonstop tornado watches for over the last week. Those people cannot catch a break.
that's why they call it tornado alley...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline MSR041933

• Sunny
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #867 on: May 26, 2019, 12:23:26 AM »
El Reno just took a direct hit and the reports do not look good. Buildings completely destroyed and 2by4s look to be impaled into the ground...saw a report of 34 missing and also UNCONFIRMED reports of 9 fatalities at a hotel/motel that took a direct hit..not good..incredible debris ball associated with that storm appears to line up with type of damage reports coming in..looks to be EF3 type damage

Post Merge: May 26, 2019, 12:34:05 AM
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
 From twitter of Tyler Stanfield

Post Merge: May 26, 2019, 12:36:04 AM
El Reno just took a direct hit and the reports do not look good. Buildings completely destroyed and 2by4s look to be impaled into the ground...saw a report of 34 missing and also UNCONFIRMED reports of 9 fatalities at a hotel/motel that took a direct hit..not good..incredible debris ball associated with that storm appears to line up with type of damage reports coming in..looks to be EF3 type damage

Post Merge: May 26, 2019, 12:34:05 AM
(Attachment Link)
 From twitter of Tyler Stanfield

Post Merge: May 26, 2019, 12:40:45 AM
Also looks to be ANOTHER TOR on ground..appears it could track through to the south side of Tulsa..100MPH+ velocity scans and debris ball..same QLCS spin up from El Reno storm.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:40:45 AM by MSR041933, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"The only thing that can stop a BAD guy with a gun is a GOOD guy with a gun"

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #868 on: May 26, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »
El Reno, OK and tornadoes seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly.  This is the 3rd such deadly tornado occurrence in the El-Reno area this decade (2011, 2013, and now this one).   

Post Merge: May 26, 2019, 09:58:49 AM
Today may be a doozy in far E Colorado/Western KS and down into the panhandles of OK and TX.  A Moderate Risk including very large hail and tornadoes strikes again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:58:49 AM by StormNine, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2219
« Reply #869 on: May 27, 2019, 08:10:33 PM »
Another west TN earthquake. 2.9 near Ridgely.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

* Recent Posts

PTC 16
by dwagner88
[Yesterday at 07:20:21 PM]
Fall 2019
by mamMATTus
[Yesterday at 04:52:53 PM]
Winter 2019-2020
by snowdog