* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring 2019 - Severe Weather Thread  (Read 50237 times)

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spring 2019 - Severe Weather Thread
« Reply #660 on: May 15, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »
Lord have mercy,  in this quiet severe weather season, I just drove through the worst hailstorm of my lifetime in Arlington.  Can’t believe I have a windshield left.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1675
« Reply #661 on: May 16, 2019, 06:54:59 AM »
Long range models starting to pickup on the seasons first 90 plus degree days around the Memorial Day weekend area .... right on time ...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1470
« Reply #662 on: May 16, 2019, 07:04:23 AM »
At least we are stair-stepping our way into summer heat this year, unlike previous years.  This weekend's mid/upper 80's should acclimate us to what's coming.  I've been enjoying these weeks of open window sleeping.  It feels like I'm camping out every night dozing off to the whippoorwill song. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #663 on: May 16, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
Good news for us “cool” summer people. JJA period on ensembles still shows below normal averages with above normal precip. Most likely the wet spring set the stage for more of the same. I think we see an early start to hurricane season too.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #664 on: May 16, 2019, 07:44:04 AM »
Good news for us “cool” summer people. JJA period on ensembles still shows below normal averages with above normal precip. Most likely the wet spring set the stage for more of the same. I think we see an early start to hurricane season too.
doubt it very seriously we see much of a hurricane season ... with the El Niño taking hold plus slightly increasing as we march along the year... and Jma accuracy hasn’t been up to snuff to be honest with you... would nt put much stock into that long range one way or the other ...

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #665 on: May 16, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »
Glad to see some good news on this front. The long range GFS has been very hot post day 7 for a few runs in a row now.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #666 on: May 16, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »
I will never understand you people who like to sit in the house all summer and watch it rain.  >:D

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #667 on: May 16, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
I will never understand you people who like to sit in the house all summer and watch it rain.  >:D
yeah... really... done enough that this past winter.... blah... lol

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #668 on: May 16, 2019, 10:08:16 AM »

More like weekends on the deck enjoying sunshine and low 80’s while slow cooking some BBQ—your fav! ::flag::
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #669 on: May 16, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »

Ha- really. Not enough rain is not good either though. I like a summer with normal temperatures. Upper 80s to around 90 is just fine. I like enough 90 degree days that the pool water feels good. But, a good thunderstorm with a half inch of rain one or two days a week is good with me (not an all day rain, but I'll happily give up an hour or two in an afternoon for a nice watering of the lawns and gardens).

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #670 on: May 16, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
doubt it very seriously we see much of a hurricane season ... with the El Niño taking hold plus slightly increasing as we march along the year... and Jma accuracy hasn’t been up to snuff to be honest with you... would nt put much stock into that long range one way or the other ...

An early start doesn’t mean I think the season will go gangbusters. Those are 2 entirely different comparisons.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #671 on: May 16, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »

Hang on. I enjoy lots of sunshine in the summer and pool time. I just don’t like extended periods of drought and heat. The good news is regardless, Fall is never that far away.

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #672 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »
Hang on. I enjoy lots of sunshine in the summer and pool time. I just don’t like extended periods of drought and heat. The good news is regardless, Fall is never that far away.

Regarding hurricane season, as long as there are no cyclones in the gulf during the last week of June, we good. If I sat through all this wet weather in Tennessee last fall/winter/spring only to go on vacation and get rained on, I'm quitting weather.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #673 on: May 16, 2019, 11:45:30 AM »
Going go out on a limb bit here... think Tuesday has and will be the better chance for a decent severe event for the mid south ... gfs is showing fairly high instability and decent shear ... as for now timing is a lot better also coming in late afternoon early evening Tuesday ... to early to dig In on the main impacts just yet

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #674 on: May 16, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »
I can't speak for everyone here, but my perfect summer day is sunny with temperatures pushing 90 by afternoon, but with the sky filling up with towering cumulus, and the sound of distant thunder as the afternoon progresses.  By 5pm, the thunder growls louder and the sky grows darker, punctuated by a sudden cooling wind, and a quick 30 minute downpour.  By 6, the sky clears for a nice, cooler evening with the yard and garden well watered. 

So, all day rain under cloudy skies?  Heck no, but the weather freak in me wouldn't mind an intense 30 minute storm at least every other day.  It brings back some of my best summer memories growing up.
Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

North Atlantic Tropical Season 2019 Thread
by cgauxknox
[Today at 02:31:14 PM]
Winter 2019-2020
by snowdog
[Yesterday at 10:44:06 AM]
General Climate Thread
by Crockett
[Yesterday at 09:45:51 AM]
Fall 2019
by StormNine
[August 22, 2019, 05:25:18 PM]
Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.
by cgauxknox
[August 22, 2019, 07:38:33 AM]

Advertisement