* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is your ideal (A+) climate?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
What is your ideal (A+) climate?
« on: February 01, 2019, 11:38:08 AM »
This is a neat forum idea while we have a weather lull.  A lot of us complain about certain aspects of our mid-south climate (myself included).  Common complaints are we don't get a lot of snow and it is too humid. 

What would be an example of a place that has your ideal climate? 

For me, my ideal climate is a winter-leaning four-season climate with abundant snowfall. I don't like a whole lot of humidity but I also don't prefer desert dry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_City,_Utah
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagstaff,_Arizona

These are two examples of climates that I would give an A+.   

Our climate in KY/TN border area (outside of significant elevation) I would give a B- or a C+.  I like our diverse weather but I wish our winters were snowier, a few less cloudy days, and less humid summers.  One thing about the humidity is that it makes our scenery nice and green. 

Offline Greyhound

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: What is your ideal (A+) climate?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:46:40 AM »
If I had a house on the beach (Gulf Coast) and associated climate, and the Smoky Mountains within an hour drive of that location.....then that would be perfect for me.  I can handle heat/humidity better than I can cold. 

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1455
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:59:20 AM »
I'm fond of the southern Appalachians, so for me, a simple increase in elevation would suffice.  Boone or Jefferson, North Carolina would be ideal for me.  Both are near or a little above 3,000 feet in elevation, so snowfall is much more frequent, yet there's none of the extreme, lasting cold of a northern climate.  Summers are humid, but temperatures are far cooler and more tolerable than the lower elevations.  Thunderstorms are frequent in the summer months, so there's usually plenty of rain to keep plants and trees green and lush.  Autumns are usually crisp, cool and colorful.  Lastly, there plenty of forests, trails for hiking, and an abundance of outdoor recreation available year round.  I actually hope to end up there someday.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »
I think parts of the Great Plains would have interesting weather- four distinct seasons but with some extremes. Heat, cold, blizzards, storms- you have it all, but magnified in intensity over what we see.

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
For the most part -- I like the climate here on the northern plateau. I like the 4 distinct seasons. We get hot without seeing the unbearable heat that is experienced in West Tennessee. We get more snow than most of Tennessee, outside the mountains. Spring and fall are nice.

Over the past 10 years, though, the trend is disturbing. Fall and spring are being eroded, while we're seeing more of a wet/chilly pattern in the winter.

I often complain, as I get older, that I don't like the cold -- even if there's snow -- and would rather have the heat. But every time I'm in Florida, I'm reminded just how old the relentless heat/humidity would get. Same with much of the rest of the Deep South.

Online cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 378
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 02:49:38 PM »
My perfect climate is pretty much the one in Tennessee that I remember as a kid in the 80s.  All 4 seasons, beautiful crisp fall weather, long, warm springs, and even some snow every year in the winter.  That doesn't seem to be what we get any more and I miss it.

Offline Icestorm

• Sunny
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
I miss the 70s and 80s when we had true winters in Middle Tennessee, could enjoy the summers then because you knew when winter came there would be snow for sledding again.

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1083
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:00:48 PM »
The alpine region of southern Appalachia is my favorite climate. Places like Erwin, Wise, Beckley. All four seasons, plenty of rain but not too much, beautiful scenery and biodiversity. Just perfect. Gets both hot and cold, but never for too long.

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »
I think almost exactly like Crockett. Our falls and springs are glorious, I enjoy some hot weather, and its plenty cold enough for me as I get older. I just wish we got about 30 inches of snow a year. Lord willing, if I ever make it to retirement healthy, I plan to travel to the snow for a bit.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1658
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 03:34:56 PM »
my perfect weather for me is... I like it around 78 night... near 90 day time with little or no humidity... I enjoy a good night swim in my pool... generally in the buff when my wifey is sleep... :D
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 560
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 04:18:44 PM »
my perfect weather for me is... I like it around 78 night... near 90 day time with little or no humidity... I enjoy a good night swim in my pool... generally in the buff when my wifey is sleep... :D
Another reason to hate hot weather.

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1083
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »

TMI man ::rofl::

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »

We all know that the I-44 corridor is really your ideal climate.   

Post Merge: February 01, 2019, 06:58:28 PM
The NE TN/NW NC area up towards the mountainous parts of Virginia/West Virginia and the Maryland panhandle(minus Snowshoe because Snowshoe really doesn't have much of a summer) is a pretty sweet climate for four-season lovers who don't like oppressive heat.  You still have the humidity but that humidity is what keeps that area so lush and beautiful so you cannot complain too much about that.   

The Carolinas have a pretty good setup as well. Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg, and Raleigh may not have A+ climates but you are an easy weekend trip from a favorable mountain climate for the cold-snow lovers and another easy weekend trip to areas like Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC which have very solid coastal subtropical climates.  There are not a lot of places where you have quick access to both of those environments.   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:58:28 PM by StormNine, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2191
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 08:11:16 PM »
Des Moines, IA.

Get both winter wx and severe weather.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1455
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »
We all know that the I-44 corridor is really your ideal climate.   

Post Merge: February 01, 2019, 06:58:28 PM
The NE TN/NW NC area up towards the mountainous parts of Virginia/West Virginia and the Maryland panhandle(minus Snowshoe because Snowshoe really doesn't have much of a summer) is a pretty sweet climate for four-season lovers who don't like oppressive heat.  You still have the humidity but that humidity is what keeps that area so lush and beautiful so you cannot complain too much about that.   

The Carolinas have a pretty good setup as well. Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg, and Raleigh may not have A+ climates but you are an easy weekend trip from a favorable mountain climate for the cold-snow lovers and another easy weekend trip to areas like Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC which have very solid coastal subtropical climates.  There are not a lot of places where you have quick access to both of those environments.   

If you like four seasons, but not the extreme heat of the south, nor the bitter cold of the north, you can't beat the elevations above 2,500 feet in the southern Apps.  And one advantage of living in mountainous areas is: even during hot, dry spells in mid-summer, cooling thunderstorms tend to pop every afternoon, while valley areas bake in the sun. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement