* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: California Fires  (Read 3817 times)

Online Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: California Fires
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »
Interesting poll numbers; thanks for posting.  Wow, that's some chasm between blue and red there.  Can anything be done to bring those two closer together, so at least some intelligent dialogue can take place again?

No. It would require concessions from both sides, and that will never happen. We're too stubborn.

Online Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »
I agree lets go back to the 1800s when things was much better in the world. Sell your car turn off your ac/heat. Stop adding to the trash by recycling and reusing plates. 1 shower a month. No internet. I mean what do you want the world to really do? Step back from innovating things and go back in time???

Holy hyperbole, Batman! There's a gargantuan gap between being a luddite and being a prudent caretaker of our planet.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1420
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 09:56:23 AM »
I agree lets go back to the 1800s when things was much better in the world. Sell your car turn off your ac/heat. Stop adding to the trash by recycling and reusing plates. 1 shower a month. No internet. I mean what do you want the world to really do? Step back from innovating things and go back in time???

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1063
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »
Yeah I'm not even going to comment on that one.

Online Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
Okay, explain what we should do to help prevent climate change from killing our kids and starting wildfires ect. Im just curious at how you guys seem to know whats best for our planet all of the sudden.

I'm just curious why you're so defensive all of a sudden. You need to chillax, man. This is just a conversation amongst weather nerds. Nothing we say here is going to cause Mother Earth to burst into flames...or prevent it.

What can we do to prevent climate change? I don't know that there's anything we can do. I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to the subject of anthropogenic global warming. But I didn't see anything in Jaycee's post that even remotely suggested the extreme measures you fired back with. He simply said that we should be good stewards of our planet. That seems like a no-brainer to me.

Your extreme approach is a perfect example of why there can't be intelligent dialogue on this issue. It's the same as the opposite side, who try to equate every single weather episode to climate change. Set the politics aside, be willing to listen with an open mind, and you might be surprised by what you learn.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »

Hereís what Iíve done:

I drive a Honda Civic instead of Chevrolet Suburban.  Better gas mileage.  I can afford the SUV, but I donít need it.  So, why go there?

Iíve winterized my home to the best of my ability so I donít overuse electricity/propane heating a drafty home.

Iíve planted over a dozen trees in the last two years on my acre of land. 

I use energy efficient LED light bulbs everywhere in my home.

I make sure I turn out the lights/TV when I leave the room.

I use my own well water, even though I could use city water.  Less expensive, and less water used that has to be treated/cleaned by someone else.   

Instead of throwing everything in the local landfill, I have a compost pile and use it for all food/biodegradable matter, and re-use that for mulch.

Does it make a difference?  Probably not much.  But itís not as extreme as anything you mention, and well within my ability to do it. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:09:35 PM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline bugalou

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
Okay, explain what we should do to help prevent climate change from killing our kids and starting wildfires ect. Im just curious at how you guys seem to know whats best for our planet all of the sudden. I mean honestly yall are acting like typical republicans. Theorys about the end of the world over isolated disasters that happen all the time. Its pathetic honestly. Just saying..

I don't understand your perspective.  You are trying to say there is a 1 to 1 relationship  between technological progress and environmental damage where that is in no way the case.

It is not hard to suggest things to do to preserve both modern living and environmental friendliness.  The crux of every modern convenience is energy.  Make energy plentiful, clean and cheap and man kind  can easily thrive. I would suggest:

• Investing heavily in solar energy - places like Arizona or the Sahara should have a sea of solar panels
  • Investing in next generation fission nuclear reactors.  Fission based energy can be safe and clean if reactor designs are brought into the modern age
  • Investing in fusion power research
  • Setting an international plan among first world countries to stop using fossil fuels for energy production in the next 25 years and for transportation in the next 50 years.

I simply do not see a downside into ultimately getting our energy from the sun or from nuclear.  The only things preventing it is greed from major fossil fuel energy companies that have no interest in energy being cheapened.  That said, that is very short term way of thinking as major innovations would come in leaps and bounds with cheap and plentiful energy that would ultimately feed far more robust revenue streams than any coal or oil company, and it is good for the planet!

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
So that just leaves us citizens to do the change and them changes (in my opinion) dont even make a difference other then the littering and recycling and water management. Maybe slightly saving electricity but i feel personal use isn't the real problem in that area even. The main thing is for the government to start taking action and good luck with that.

If 327 million people (current U.S. population) don't believe what they do makes a difference, then that is the problem, and the government can't fix that. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2018, 06:35:08 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Post Merge: November 19, 2018, 06:57:40 PM
NorCal will receive 1-2" of rainfall to close out the holiday week, with higher amounts of precip. in the mountains.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 06:57:40 PM by schneitzeit, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 07:01:34 AM »
(Attachment Link)

Post Merge: November 19, 2018, 06:57:40 PM
NorCal will receive 1-2" of rainfall to close out the holiday week, with higher amounts of precip. in the mountains.

I hope they get some good soakings over the coming weeks, because the winter overall could be drier than normal if a ridge becomes dominant near the Pacific Coast as many long range winter forecasts depict.  Most of the time, when our winters are cold and wet over here, the west is dry and warm. 
Henry David Thoreau

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1614
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
I hope they get some good soakings over the coming weeks, because the winter overall could be drier than normal if a ridge becomes dominant near the Pacific Coast as many long range winter forecasts depict.  Most of the time, when our winters are cold and wet over here, the west is dry and warm.
starting to worry bout mud slides cause of rain expected...p ick your poison.... California is just doomed
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
Wow...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/20/us/california-wildfires-new-york-city-trnd/index.html

According to that, the "stream" of smoke even goes across TN. Anyone notice any haze from it?

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2018, 02:24:20 PM »
I'll see if I notice anything when the sun comes out tomorrow.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »
Death toll up to 80, and still near 1,000 unaccounted for.  The fact they haven't found many yet is very disconcerting.  I hope they are just staying at a friends house and don't know they are "missing." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »
Hazy in Knoxville today.

* Recent Posts

Spring 2019 - Severe Weather Thread
by Crockett
[Today at 09:08:49 AM]