* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Super Outbreak 2011 (April 25-28)  (Read 482954 times)

Offline andyhb

• Supercell
  • Tornado/Severe Weather Connoisseur Since Age 3
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: Super Outbreak 2011 (April 25-28)
« Reply #2775 on: February 07, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
Found this the other day while browsing for model projections of this event. This 13z RUC prog gives an idea of just how big of a bullet Middle TN dodged due to that midday, cold pool driven MCS coming through and constant rain/cloud cover in its wake.

Of course, this MCS probably led to an even worse scenario for N MS and N AL since it laid down the outflow boundary that multiple storms interacted with. That aside, I would think that this scenario presented below would've been just as bad if not worse since you're adding Nashville and its sprawling metro along with all of the other densely populated areas in Middle TN into an absolutely combustible environment.

Dynamic upper level troughs with adequate warm sector instability™

Offline a1star93

« Reply #2776 on: February 08, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
If you're at a desktop/laptop and haven't seen this, you should:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/afterthestorm/index.html#/the-life-before-and-the-life-after

Wow!
"Feel pride in how far you've come, and confidence in where you're going"

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1661
« Reply #2777 on: February 08, 2016, 12:10:13 PM »
Found this the other day while browsing for model projections of this event. This 13z RUC prog gives an idea of just how big of a bullet Middle TN dodged due to that midday, cold pool driven MCS coming through and constant rain/cloud cover in its wake.

Of course, this MCS probably led to an even worse scenario for N MS and N AL since it laid down the outflow boundary that multiple storms interacted with. That aside, I would think that this scenario presented below would've been just as bad if not worse since you're adding Nashville and its sprawling metro along with all of the other densely populated areas in Middle TN into an absolutely combustible environment.

very true indeed... its been that way around here since super Tuesday 08... anything or everything that can go wrong  to tamper a great setup has happen... honestly great It did happen with end result... but me being a big severe fanatic... you know still...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2778 on: February 08, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »

The Water Valley MS/Hardin County TN supercell actually tracked into the Fairview/Nashville TN area and was warned but it didn't produce. I hate to imagine what would of happened with that storm had that cool pool midday MCS not been generated.  It goes to prove that the mesoscale makes all the difference in the end.   

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2779 on: March 12, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »
If you have the time and the interest, ABC 33/40 out of Birmingham (James Spann's station) has uploaded 13 hours of live coverage from April 27, 2011:

5 hours of coverage from the early morning hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftz5UL8S2Ms

8 hours of coverage from the afternoon and evening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElZZNvNdhks

Watch tornadoes live on TV as they happened in such places as Cullman, Tuscaloosa, the Birmingham area and other areas in Alabama.  This is invaluable history from that terrible day.  I don't know how Spann and the other people at the station that day stayed with it for so long... must have been running on adrenaline...

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #2780 on: April 27, 2016, 08:04:48 AM »
Today marks the 5th anniversary of the 2011 Super Outbreak.  Our thoughts go out to all whose lives were affected that day.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2781 on: April 27, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »
It has always fascinated me that not only do we have one of the greatest tornado outbreaks in USA history, but probably also one of the most intense QLCS/Serial Derecho events in US history.  It was that QLCS/Serial Derecho that was actually the most widespread event for Middle TN out of that whole event.  Unfortunately that morning event, which caused widespread power and infrastructure issues is one of several factors that contributed to the high death toll of the afternoon and evening supercell outbreak.   

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 529
« Reply #2782 on: April 27, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »
Yeah, the QLCS was incredible. I stayed up extremely late on April 26 to write a paper and tracked it overnight. Honestly so much of that event was incredible. The duration, the rainfall, the wind damage, the tornadoes, the catastrophic damage and loss of life. In fact, April 2011 was just incredible as a whole. It's possible we may not see a month of that magnitude again in our lifetime.

Here's a semi-infamous photo from above my college library on the evening of April 26, 2011.

Offline toastido

• LIKE A BOSS
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • HAM Callsign: WX4JRR
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2783 on: April 28, 2016, 03:55:34 PM »
Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation.
Kin Hubbard
(1868 - 1930)
Adam: Girls come and go. Weather is constant
Eric (Admin): there's no fornication in meteorology

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #2784 on: April 28, 2016, 08:08:23 PM »
It has always fascinated me that not only do we have one of the greatest tornado outbreaks in USA history, but probably also one of the most intense QLCS/Serial Derecho events in US history.  It was that QLCS/Serial Derecho that was actually the most widespread event for Middle TN out of that whole event.  Unfortunately that morning event, which caused widespread power and infrastructure issues is one of several factors that contributed to the high death toll of the afternoon and evening supercell outbreak.
There were 6 weak tornados in a 1 hour period from the morning QLCS in Hamilton county. Not many people had power for the rest of the event afterwards. Really nasty MCV greatly enhanced rotation in that QLCS right as it moved over the area. Then of course that afternoon the strongest tornado ever recorded in East TN clipped the corner of Hamilton County. Missed my parents house by about 6 miles.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2785 on: April 28, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »
Check this out.... from the NWS HUN & BMX offices.

http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=5aab7900167940b99ec091e84b3b3e95

Wow- that is well done.

Offline Fair to partly cloudy

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: **SWM** SevereWx 4/25-27
« Reply #2786 on: August 27, 2018, 10:15:02 PM »
Oh...My... This is very very serious guys, huge debris ball going on right now. Hoping those people took cover.

Wow! Johnny posted a radar shot of one of the most powerful tornadoes ever that stayed on the ground for 132 miles and killed 72 people yet everyone completely missed it talking about a meteorologist! Hilarious.  ::rofl::

Post Merge: August 27, 2018, 10:27:15 PM
Yet ANOTHER debris ball on the storm heading toward Jasper AL. Very strong rotation, confirmed wedge. This thing is looking MEAN.  ::wow::

People weren't very interested in the killer storms that day. Great job anyway, Johnny!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:27:15 PM by Fair to partly cloudy, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1084
« Reply #2787 on: August 28, 2018, 12:48:21 AM »
I, too, enjoy 7.33 year naps.

Offline Fair to partly cloudy

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10