* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)  (Read 56382 times)

Offline Michael

• Supercell
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2018, 05:59:43 PM »
FWIW...
18z GEFS has basically every member showing flakes flying for practically the whole state at 00z Friday (Thursday evening). If you look at the time frame for 18z Fri and this one, we all basically would see flakes. Based on this...but we all know it’ll change. Point is...there’s opportunity for all of us to see flakes flying in the next 24-60 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:03:59 PM by Michael »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1441
Re: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
Been a British Isles kind of day.  Steady rain ended this morning, but afterwards we've had a continuous heavy drizzle or mist falling here in the foothills.  Just took the dogs out to do their business, and it's still occurring.  Nothing shows up on radar, but I had to dry off the dogs after being out in it for just a few minutes. 

Speaking of the weather feeling British, two more days of steady rain are still on the way.  I think we can cancel wildfire season this year. 

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #632 on: November 13, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
I was in Sevierville for work tonight and when I got out to fill up with gas there was enough wind driving that fine mist that I literally had to turn my collar up.  Sticking with the British Isles theme, when I got home a couple of Christmas presents had shown up for family, both in their respective clan tartans.  Scotland Forever!

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #633 on: November 13, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
Cure the world, make it a better place. For you and for me and the human race.  :angel: Good luck folks in West TN. Flying back Friday, so will miss the winter weather in our region. Happy Dance for luck tho!

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #634 on: November 14, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »
I was in Sevierville for work tonight and when I got out to fill up with gas there was enough wind driving that fine mist that I literally had to turn my collar up.  Sticking with the British Isles theme, when I got home a couple of Christmas presents had shown up for family, both in their respective clan tartans.  Scotland Forever!

That mist was heavy enough to add up to .18" by day's end. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #635 on: November 14, 2018, 09:03:43 AM »
That mist was heavy enough to add up to .18" by day's end.
Based on how the water had piled up on my car when I left to go home last night I believe it.  It was weird; it was cold enough that the water stuck together and laid on my car in a thick layer, but when I tapped my windshield wipers it was entirely liquid.  It was even stuck on my side windows so thick that I couldn't see out of them, but as soon as I started moving it just rolled off, nothing frozen at all.  Very unusual and I'm not sure I've ever seen it quite like it was last night.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #636 on: November 14, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
Interesting fact shared by local meteorologist Todd Howell--today's high of 42 in Knoxville is the coldest high temperature in November in 3 years.  Basically, it takes us back to before the Super Nino of '16 torched the atmosphere.  That's a good sign for the upcoming winter!
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1082
« Reply #637 on: November 14, 2018, 06:32:05 PM »
Interesting fact shared by local meteorologist Todd Howell--today's high of 42 in Knoxville is the coldest high temperature in November in 3 years.  Basically, it takes us back to before the Super Nino of '16 torched the atmosphere.  That's a good sign for the upcoming winter!

Unfortunately, 2018 is on track to finish as the Earth's 4th hottest year on record.

I'm thankful we caught a break from excessive heat this year. Europe had a record-setting hot summer.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: November 14, 2018, 08:26:22 PM »
Unfortunately, 2018 is on track to finish as the Earth's 4th hottest year on record.

I'm thankful we caught a break from excessive heat this year. Europe had a record-setting hot summer.

We are definitely in warm times.  Even in our colder winters a few years back, the eastern U.S. was one of the few cold places in the Northern Hemisphere.  Most other continents during those winters were warm compared to normal.  One has to wonder when the warmth will end.  In the meantime, here's hoping our part of the globe is one of the few cold places again this winter.   ::fingerscrossed::
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #639 on: November 15, 2018, 08:35:12 PM »
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

The AO looks to be going in the tank to close out this month.  The NAO may even follow suit.  After a brief warmup after Thanksgiving, we may start Meteorological Winter on the cold side.   

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #640 on: November 16, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »
Mother nature gives us a break from the soggy weather with some (welcome) sunny days ahead, but temperatures will drop from slightly below normal Saturday to even cooler weather in the lower to mid 50's next week.  Normal for Knoxville is near 60 this time of year.

Toward the end of the month, some major blocking starts to build in the high latitudes tanking the AO as StormNine noted.  Winter may send us another shot of fun stuff toward the end of the month into early December.  One has to feel pumped looking at the pattern trying to lock in. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #641 on: November 16, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
Mother nature gives us a break from the soggy weather with some (welcome) sunny days ahead, but temperatures will drop from slightly below normal Saturday to even cooler weather in the lower to mid 50's next week.  Normal for Knoxville is near 60 this time of year.

Toward the end of the month, some major blocking starts to build in the high latitudes tanking the AO as StormNine noted.  Winter may send us another shot of fun stuff toward the end of the month into early December.  One has to feel pumped looking at the pattern trying to lock in.
yeah... agree... top analog I been seeing... along with 09 10... the 76 77 keeps popping up around lot... boy if its anywhere near 76 77... fun times ahead for sure... and many late nigh model hugging...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #642 on: November 16, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
Thanksgiving week looks great. I like seasonably cool but clear weather for Thanksgiving, for travelers and outdoor activities to try to offset a portion of the calories consumed.  ::yum:: ::whistling::

Then, hopefully, we can circle back around to wintry chances in December to get things festive toward Christmas.

Offline Drifter49

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #643 on: November 16, 2018, 08:25:55 AM »
yeah... agree... top analog I been seeing... along with 09 10... the 76 77 keeps popping up around lot... boy if its anywhere near 76 77... fun times ahead for sure... and many late nigh model hugging...

Oh yeah 76-77 would be awesome for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To enjoy things in life that are good, you first must endure things that suck!
Bring on the snow baby!!!

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 437
« Reply #644 on: November 16, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
My winterizer for the lawn is thoroughly in the root zone after this weeks rain. Looking forward to some sunny days to dry out the ground so I can get back to mowing. Looks to be a glorious weekend after this cold week.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly – raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Advertisement