* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter 2018-19  (Read 204907 times)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1441
Re: Winter 2018-19
« Reply #4005 on: March 13, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »
I  say its time to  put this this thread to... R.I.P  mode... ;)

Like this winter, it will die a slow, painful death.   ::candle::
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline gcbama

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4006 on: March 13, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
I killed this thread in my heart when the late Jan event did nothing. I knew it was over then. Easily the worst winter I ever had. nothing more than trace flurries all season

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #4007 on: March 13, 2019, 04:31:28 PM »
This may be one of the biggest winter season busts we've seen. Almost the opposite of what long range folks thought we would see.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4008 on: March 13, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
This may be one of the biggest winter season busts we've seen. Almost the opposite of what long range folks thought we would see.

Honestly, given what we know about ENSO, QBO, PDO, etc... it should have performed. There are a few other examples of what looks like the stars have lined up only to come up empty. Ie 51-52 very similar. Just goes to show one we donít have all the answers. While we were warm, the NW third to half of the country just experienced one of the coldest, snowiest 60 day periods on record. And itís still going with a monster blizzard on the high plains. Theyíll get more this spring too.

Offline Flash

« Reply #4009 on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »
Honestly, given what we know about ENSO, QBO, PDO, etc... it should have performed. There are a few other examples of what looks like the stars have lined up only to come up empty. Ie 51-52 very similar. Just goes to show one we donít have all the answers. While we were warm, the NW third to half of the country just experienced one of the coldest, snowiest 60 day periods on record. And itís still going with a monster blizzard on the high plains. Theyíll get more this spring too.

I think one of my key takeaways, apart from the ones I shared a few weeks ago, is this winter should remind us how limited a sample size we're dealing with when you compare the history of teleconnection awareness to however many years you believe the earth has existed. I agree with anyone who says this winter should have delivered based specifically on what we known within that small sample size; however, I also know it's easy to filter probability through personal preference. As I tell my colleagues at work, in any given winter, we're basically heading into the bottom of the ninth trailing by a run. We can't help the fact the odds aren't in our favor, but it's possible to come back every so often.

As for my location, I'm glad I got a couple inches over two events plus a bonus ice event back on 12/9. Not ideal when stacked to the hype, but given the amount of seasonal traces in our region, I should be grateful at the end of the day. If winter 2018-19 isn't an all-time low in the history of this forum, it's right up there. From my perspective, we can only go uphill next winter.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:08:13 AM by Flash »
"By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast." ~ Job 37:10 (ESV)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #4010 on: March 14, 2019, 07:15:22 AM »
I give this winter an F.  I had 3 inches total (1" in Dec, and 2" in January), but both systems appeared to deliver far more when they were modeled in the long-range, yet ended up being a huge disappointment.

The system in January was most disappointing of all.  6-7 days out, even King Euro showed a statewide hit of over 4-8" of snow, and temperatures well below zero on multiple nights.  The reality was little to no snow for 75% of the state, and most of us didn't reach 10 above zero, much less 10 below.  The cold snap in January 2018 was colder here, than what I observed this year.  I had multiple nights in the single digits in 2018, but never dropped below +13F this year. 

Bye-bye winter 2018-19.  Thanks for nothing.    :blank:
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #4011 on: March 15, 2019, 09:03:16 AM »
Barring a miraculous late season save, it'll be the first time I know of in my 45 years with no accumulation at all. I've been at my current location in Marshall county for 20 years and have never recorded less than an inch. We did have snow in the air a few times, and managed a very light dusting. Its like we've moved to Macon, Montgomery, or Meridian.  ::shrug::

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #4012 on: March 15, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »
Barring a miraculous late season save, it'll be the first time I know of in my 45 years with no accumulation at all. I've been at my current location in Marshall county for 20 years and have never recorded less than an inch. We did have snow in the air a few times, and managed a very light dusting. Its like we've moved to Macon, Montgomery, or Meridian.  ::shrug::

One of the worst winter seasons in my back yard. Recorded a trace of snow with above average temps.

Final Grade: F

Post Merge: March 15, 2019, 01:39:55 PM
By the way, does anyone have the final DJF reanalysis anomaly map that Maue puts out? Wondering what BNA registered officially.

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 328
« Reply #4013 on: March 17, 2019, 07:54:03 PM »
For me the worse winter ever.  Only a dusting to maybe .25 snow for my yard. 

Grade F

Offline Flash

« Reply #4014 on: March 18, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »
I'll give my winter a D+. A healthy inch on 1/20, a half inch of snow/quarter inch of ice on 12/9, and the chases all helped, but it's not the same as the winters of old. Crazy to think we get a Jonas during a Super El NiŮo (i.e. an automatic 'A' grade), but can't capitalize during a weak one.  ::shrug:: Next year I'm fairly confident the hype will be subdued so shattered expectations won't be an issue.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:32:30 AM by Flash »
"By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast." ~ Job 37:10 (ESV)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #4015 on: March 18, 2019, 09:54:24 AM »
Equinox is on Wednesday... at that point, we can say in every possible sense that this lousy winter will be behind us.

Then, watch the spring cold snaps and global indices troll us on what might have been.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:58:10 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #4016 on: March 18, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »
Equinox is on Wednesday... at that point, we can say in every possible sense that this lousy winter will be behind us.

Then, watch the spring cold snaps and global indices troll us on what might have been.   ;)
not happening this spring ... this week looks like the coolest in sight .... then we should have our typical cool down behind big systems ....

Post Merge: March 18, 2019, 10:22:57 AM
And early predictions  seem to be looking  like good chance of a super nino by next winter ... so thereís that  fwi...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:22:57 AM by BRUCE, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Heath22

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #4017 on: March 18, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »
not happening this spring ... this week looks like the coolest in sight .... then we should have our typical cool down behind big systems ....

Post Merge: March 18, 2019, 10:22:57 AM
And early predictions  seem to be looking  like good chance of a super nino by next winter ... so thereís that  fwi...

Let me guess, super Nino is typically bad for snow for us. Is that correct?
John 3:16

Offline Drifter49

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #4018 on: March 18, 2019, 12:26:06 PM »
Iíll give this winter a D, ended up with roughly 4.5-5 inches for the season.
Hereís to an A+ next winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To enjoy things in life that are good, you first must endure things that suck!
Bring on the snow baby!!!

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #4019 on: March 18, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »
Iíll give this winter a D, ended up with roughly 4.5-5 inches for the season.
Hereís to an A+ next winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aim high!  But after this one, I'll settle for B-.   ;)
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement