* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Southeast Burns: The Great Fires of 2016  (Read 42614 times)

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: The Southeast Burns: The Great Fires of 2016
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2016, 12:24:38 AM »
Incredible video of some guys escaping their home in Chalet Village, which is off the Gatlinburg Bypass. That resort village was completely destroyed. It's hard to imagine there aren't some fatalities out there tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/CreekWalker79/posts/10209278204931283?pnref=story

Chalet Village is located on the mountain between Wears Valley and Gatlinburg. Ski Mountain, which is nearby and closer to Ober Gatlinburg, has reportedly been destroyed as well. It's hard to imagine that everything between Gatlinburg and Wears Valley wasn't destroyed.

On the other side of town, on Hwy. 321, a restaurant and wedding chapel have burned. Gatlinburg is catching it from both sides.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:27:29 AM by Crockett »

Offline Brad

• Shower
    • My Flickr Photos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2016, 12:33:13 AM »
Very sad indeed. Glow can be seen in the corner of this camera in Wears Valley.
http://www.preservecabins.com/smoky-mountain-webcam-of-the-preserve-resort-in-the-great-smoky-mountains/

Offline SuperCell

• Thunderstorm
    • Cannon County Storm Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2016, 12:47:46 AM »
So sad...I love that place. So many memories. Hope this rain holds together for them. 😿

Post Merge: November 29, 2016, 02:07:27 AM
"The traffic is horrible. It's a mass exodus," Gail said. "A roller coaster is on fire at Goats on the Roof," a theme park in Pigeon Forge, Gill said." - quote from NBC News.

Goats on the roof is just out of Pigeon Forge down Wears Valley Road.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:07:27 AM by SuperCell, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Formerly known as VandyMachine...Up on the Highland Rim, where the weather is always more interesting!

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1506
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2016, 05:00:13 AM »
Waking up to a complete natural disaster caused by fire in Gatlinburg.  What a sad nightmare.  News reports this morning say that one-third of the mountain town has been damaged in some way by the firestorm.  Literally, it was a storm of fire for the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

In East Tennessee we are used to severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, snow and ice storms, even the occasional remnants of hurricanes.  We've had our share of droughts and some bad fire seasons.  But this is the first real natural disaster strictly caused by wild fires. 

They say daylight will probably show far more damage than we even know right now.  People evacuating Gatlinburg on Hwy 321 said that another massive wildfire was taking place in Cosby, TN. last night.  It appeared a whole mountain was ablaze, and homes were also on fire. 

The scars of this event will be with us for a long time, and that's not just the blackened land and mountains that we'll be looking at for years to come.  A forest takes a human life time to grow, and who knows how many acres have been lost.  And that's not counting all the homes that burned.

On the bright side, it's still raining here this morning, and it appears that it rained a good part of the night.  An unseen Hand has slowed the front, and another band of rain is set to move in shortly.  I've not checked the rain gauge yet. 

It's sad the wind came before the rain.  If the reverse had been true, things might not have been so catastrophic for the East Tennessee mountains.  I call this place home, and I spend a lot of my free time in the mountains.  I love the solitude and the peace I feel enjoying the beauty of the forested slopes we call the Smokies.  That's what brought me here from my Kentucky home.  I'm beyond saddened this morning knowing how much has been damaged or lost in a natural disaster overnight.  It's a type of disaster that I never imagined would happen here, as nothing quite like this has ever happened before. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:08:45 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 571
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2016, 07:43:32 AM »
Vonore and Tellico Plains are also being partially evacuated this morning and reports are starting to come out of people looking for missing family members.  Daylight is revealing far worse conditions than most people expected and local media reports at least 100 homes either damaged or completely destroyed along with 30 structures in Gatlinburg.  This may be one of the worst natural disasters to strike East Tennessee, if you can call what started with the work of arsonists a natural disaster.  If they find the people who have set these fires they need to be charged with thousands of counts of attempted murder.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 549
The Southeast Burns: The Great Fires of 2016
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »
News channel 5 reporting that Ober Gatlinburg has been destroyed along with hundreds of structures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lcwthrnut

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2016, 08:27:39 AM »
News channel 5 reporting that Ober Gatlinburg has been destroyed along with hundreds of structures.

Ober Gatlinburg posted on Twitter that everything was fine there!

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2016, 08:29:12 AM »
Conflicting reports about Ober. The resort just tweeted that their property is ok.

Like with the 2010 floods, it's going to take a bit to sort out the facts from the misinformation.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:40:53 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »
TEMA needs to get it's collective head out it's collective @$$.  They have to be more reliable than Joe Blow with a smartphone.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline Susan

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 815
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »
TEMA needs to get it's collective head out it's collective @$$.  They have to be more reliable than Joe Blow with a smartphone.

I completely agree.  The video of the guy driving through the fire out of Chalet Village and stating they were given absolutely no warning shows how TEMA totally failed there.

The roads there are difficult to navigate with clear visibility, how in the **** did tourists find their way out?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:52:19 AM by Susan »
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2016, 09:20:23 AM »
Incredible footage. Language warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnkmlrJ9GA&feature=youtu.be
Before today I would never have believed a video like that could come from our state
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015: 10.25 in.
Winters 2015-2019: basically nothing
Winter 2019-2020:
2/8/20: 4.25

Offline Susan

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 815
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2016, 09:26:19 AM »
Before today I would never have believed a video like that could come from our state

and I never would have believed so many people could be put in so much danger without warning. 

The guy in the video mentions Chalet Village and Gnatty Branch Rd.  Gnatty Branch is not in Chalet Village (Ski Mtn. Rd. area), makes me wonder which area he was caught in and where these are these burning chalets.
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2016, 09:26:32 AM »
Incredible footage. Language warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnkmlrJ9GA&feature=youtu.be

Just sickening... and terrifying.

This reminds me of a scene from Dante's Peak, when people were trying to escape a volcano on a mountain road.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:35:22 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 176
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »
Gnatty Branch on Google Earth is actually on the other side of Parkway (US 441) and is around the spur area between Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg, which is where a lot of the other videos take place at.

* Recent Posts

Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by gcbama
[Today at 03:21:56 PM]
December 2020
by JayCee
[Today at 09:40:09 AM]
November 2020
by JayCee
[Yesterday at 10:40:21 AM]
2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by JayCee