* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Southeast Burns: The Great Fires of 2016  (Read 42613 times)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1506
Re: The Southeast Burns: The Great Fires of 2016
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:28 PM »
Pretty sure my house on Pine Mtn is gone

Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully, that's not the case. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 377
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2016, 09:48:03 PM »
Oh no! Sorry to hear Curt. Sadly this is going to be a day that no one will forget for a long time.
Not 100% but we are between Wears Valley and Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge. Saw video which pretty much confirmed my suspicion

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
The first batch of rain is racing through the area way too fast.  But there is hope with the second batch now in middle TN.  Some models show that moving in and lingering into the morning.  Sure hope that's the case.

Going to be a long night, and difficult to sleep knowing fires are breaking out all around.  I just heard there is one burning 7 miles away, near Middle Creek Road in Pigeon Forge. The wind is howling, and the smell of smoke has made it's way into my house.  Long night, indeed.

My prayers are with those having to run from the flames tonight, or those whose homes are threatened.

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
Not 100% but we are between Wears Valley and Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge. Saw video which pretty much confirmed my suspicion

****. I was just getting on here to ask if your place was safe. I can't imagine how many homes are going up in flames. My buddy who is a journalist in Sevier County said the fire crews basically pulled back to downtown Gatlinburg to protect it...which I take to mean that there is no active firefighting in the hills outside of town. With it being dark and with a full-scale evacuation underway, I would be willing to bet that this is far, far worse than anyone really grasps right now. Probably dozens of homes at least going up in flames tonight.

Just absolutely tragic. I love Gatlinburg this time of year. We stay in Wears Valley often during the winter.  :'(

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 377
The Southeast Burns: The Great Fires of 2016
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2016, 10:01:18 PM »
https://youtu.be/nTkzFtQxiH4

This is from dollar general in Wears Valley looking towards our house. Those are multiple structure - most likely cabins- on fire in the background. We are deeper into the hills than those.

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2278
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2016, 10:04:27 PM »
Unconfirmed reports on Twitter that Dollywood may be on fire now too.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline Lcwthrnut

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
I just heard on ch 5 in Nashville that the park vista was confirmed on fire..... Pray they got those folks out.

Ch 4 sorry WSMV

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 706
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2016, 10:17:40 PM »
Dollywood on fire.  16 structures on fire in Gatlinburg per channel 4.  Hilton on fire.

Post Merge: November 28, 2016, 10:18:09 PM
I just heard on ch 5 in Nashville that the park vista was confirmed on fire..... Pray they got those folks out.

They did get out.

Post Merge: November 28, 2016, 10:18:41 PM
Local 8 News ‏@wvlt  8m8 minutes ago
JUST IN: Dollywood has been evacuated. They are NOT on fire but do have crews on stand by. @Dollywood

https://twitter.com/wvlt?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Thanks for update

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:15 PM »
It was reported that there was simply not enough man power to take on the number of fires that broke out today.  A fire started over the weekend at Chimney Tops.  The fire was slowly getting worse over the weekend, but today's wind turned into a conflagration, and spread it all over areas downwind in Gatlinburg.  Over 15 fires broke out in a matter of a few hours, and then more fires spread from there.  There was no way so many fires could be controlled on so many fronts.  It was a perfect storm as far as the ongoing drought, dried fallen leaves, and winds gusting to near hurricane force today. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2016, 10:29:37 PM »
Parts of Tellico Plains and Vonore also being evacuated due to different fires.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015: 10.25 in.
Winters 2015-2019: basically nothing
Winter 2019-2020:
2/8/20: 4.25

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2016, 10:39:57 PM »
Dollywood's new Dreamore Resort is being evacuated, as well. 

Unfortunately, the rain has stopped here.  I doubt we even rec'd a tenth of an inch.  There is more rain upstream in middle TN, and Alabama.  Hopefully, it will survive the trek here better than the first batch did. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:42:08 PM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 549
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »
Channel 5 said 30 structures now involved in Gatlinburg including a 16 story hotel (Park Vista I presume).

So sorry Curt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2016, 11:16:38 PM »
I hope and pray this is not as bad as it sounds- just came across this post shared on social media, and it sounds horrendous

Fire update: I just evacuated my house. There is a fire by the middle school in pigeon forge.

I don't have the news so I have no idea what is being broadcasted but I do have a firefighter in Gatlinburg literally in the middle of the fires who is trying to keep me informed as much as he can. So I will tell you briefly what I know:

First off if you've been following my post, Damian is okay! He was trapped in a fire at park vista with no way out. They finally figured out how to get out and saved him and his crew. Let's just say he text me and told me he loved me and that there was no way out of this fire. By the grace of God and all your prayers, he got out of that fire. Thank you so much!

Gatlinburg is completely on fire. Everything. Last time I talked to him he was sitting watching as his station was about to burn. He was watching people sit outside their houses as they watched them burn down just sobbing. People are trapped in their houses and rescue very well may not be able to get to them. And that's not from a lack of trying. His words to me tonight were they have called EVERY body they know to call in and they are LOSING. He is tired. They all are sooo tired. If you are in Gatlinburg and not leaving by choice, stop. Leave. You are putting every emergency personnel lives in danger by staying. I haven't heard from Damian in a bit. Please keep them in your prayers.

We live in the city of pigeon forge and just evacuated our home. I will update again in about an hour when I can talk more and we are safe away from all the fires.

I'm going to ask again, please pray for our emergency personnel. I just had to pack up my entire family and leave Damian behind. Wives and children want them to come home safe in one piece. Please please pray. This will be in our history books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 706
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2016, 11:28:05 PM »
I hope and pray this is not as bad as it sounds- just came across this post shared on social media, and it sounds horrendous

I also pray this is not true.  The rain shield is diminishing as it approaches Gatlinburg.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2016, 11:52:33 PM »
Tennessee Dept of Safety

A general emergency continues for the entire city Gatlinburg due to a wildfire and high winds. This means MANDATORY evacuations of the city are in place.

-Verizon cell service is overwhelmed and damaged possibly. Portable cell towers are being worked;

-THP Special Operations has activated from Nashville;

-THP Command Post has deployed from Nashville.

-Fire is heavy and public safety workers are performing heroic acts as we speak.

All state resources are being deployed.

* Recent Posts

Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by gcbama
[Today at 03:21:56 PM]
December 2020
by JayCee
[Today at 09:40:09 AM]
November 2020
by JayCee
[Yesterday at 10:40:21 AM]