* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1/22/2016 Winter Storm  (Read 265945 times)

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 618
1/22/2016 Winter Storm
« on: January 19, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »
Let the party begin. All models are in agreement for a potential nice storm for most of Tennessee. Maybe since I started the thread I will get left out and the I40 corridor will cash in.  ::snowman::

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
Re: 1/22/2016 Winter Storm
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
If anyone EVER needed a 50-mile jog south it'd be this board.  Every member in Mid TN would get walloped.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2085
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »
Let's bring this one home! Hoping all score here. Go Dyer Go! ::popcorn:: ::cold:: ::snowman::

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »
So how are the models reading for Knoxville?  What I've seen posted most often looks like we're too warm and the Friday storm will be all rain with us in the mid-40s.  But I'm also hearing rumblings about the temperature staying down and all that moisture coming down as snow onto cold ground.  I know things will come together better as we get closer but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus yet.

Also, my wife is supposed to have 2 friends coming to Knoxville on Friday night, one from Nashville and another from Lynchburg, VA.  Am I right that travel out of both those places is looking doubtful?

Online Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »

Also, my wife is supposed to have 2 friends coming to Knoxville on Friday night, one from Nashville and another from Lynchburg, VA.  Am I right that travel out of both those places is looking doubtful?
The one coming from Nashville might want to rethink it. The one coming from Lynchburg, VA might want to just forget about it.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »
So how are the models reading for Knoxville?  What I've seen posted most often looks like we're too warm and the Friday storm will be all rain with us in the mid-40s.  But I'm also hearing rumblings about the temperature staying down and all that moisture coming down as snow onto cold ground.  I know things will come together better as we get closer but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus yet.

Until Knoxville/East TN gets on the cold side of the low pressure system, all you'll see is rain with some minor accums.  The deformation band just happens to set up over N TN/S KY.  Travel both ways looks highly doubtful, yes.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
The one coming from Nashville might want to rethink it. The one coming from Lynchburg, VA might want to just forget about it.

Thanks Coach.  I figured the trip down 81 was going to be bad if not impossible.  The one coming from Nashville I'm afraid would, at best, have OK road conditions on either side but then run into really bad weather over the plateau.  She's lived the past several years in the South Pacific after growing up in Nashville so driving in snow is definitely not her strongest skill set.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 377
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »
The euro verbatim had some weird precip hole around memohis lolz. Take with a grain of salt. No reason to think that would happen ESP given the GFS. Both make the phase very close to eastern Arkansas . GFS was 3-6 in Memphis metro, euro 1-2 with more in every direction lol. Too early for specifics. Euro is playing catch up

Kevin Terry

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 12:53:44 PM »
The euro verbatim had some weird precip hole around memohis lolz. Take with a grain of salt. No reason to think that would happen ESP given the GFS. Both make the phase very close to eastern Arkansas . GFS was 3-6 in Memphis metro, euro 1-2 with more in every direction lol. Too early for specifics. Euro is playing catch up

Here's the reasoning for that for those wondering...especially if you're looking at the snow maps verbatim. At the time the deformation axis is taking shape...it's traveling through the MEM metro and vicinity in that 66 to 72 hour time period. If you look at QPF...there's a healthy (if narrow) swath of liquid precip along and just south of the I-40 corridor. However...at hour 66 temperatures are still above freezing (34 at MEM to be specific) though by 72 it's well below. The result is Euro's clown map refuses to call that area of precip snow...even though with crashing surface temperatures and 850s in the 6 hours that follow...and the very nature of deformation axes...that precip would almost certainly be snow. If you look at Eurowx's snow map...it handles that precipitation axis more efficiently.

Granted...the strength and closing of the 500 mb low really benefits areas further N/E as it continues to organize...but Memphis is getting a decent snow if you read between the lines of the Euro. It's similar to the GFS to where things are just getting going though as it moves through this region so the corridor of snowfall is much more narrow with a sharper gradient defined. If a phase could occur even 6 hours earlier...the implications would be pretty great.

At this moment I'm cautiously optimistic in *some* snow potential for the metro with this event but there are a lot of uncertainties. Just as a slightly earlier phase could be really beneficial...just as likely at this stage is a later phase or different track that moves everybody's excitement today back to a place of sadness...lol.

Offline joemomma

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »
How's this one looking for the plateau now?  Seems like I read somewhere that eastern TN wasn't going to do well?

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »
How's this one looking for the plateau now?  Seems like I read somewhere that eastern TN wasn't going to do well?
Northern plateau should do well. I don't think anyone in the valley needs to get excited about this right now. The low is not even close to being ideal for us. Could be a good one for far western TN though.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015: 10.25 in.
Winters 2015-2019: basically nothing
Winter 2019-2020:
2/8/20: 4.25

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »

Per 0z/6z/12z GFS, tomorrow will likely be the bigger snow-producer of the two for the northern plateau. Still rooting for a bit of a southeastern trend for Friday's system. :)

Offline joemomma

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 01:57:58 PM »
Right on.  I'm technically towards the base of the plateau itself, just north of the Cookeville city limits but we tend to be more similar to plateau weather-wise than other areas west.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 377
1/22/2016 Winter Storm
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 02:05:13 PM »
Here's the reasoning for that for those wondering...especially if you're looking at the snow maps verbatim. At the time the deformation axis is taking shape...it's traveling through the MEM metro and vicinity in that 66 to 72 hour time period. If you look at QPF...there's a healthy (if narrow) swath of liquid precip along and just south of the I-40 corridor. However...at hour 66 temperatures are still above freezing (34 at MEM to be specific) though by 72 it's well below. The result is Euro's clown map refuses to call that area of precip snow...even though with crashing surface temperatures and 850s in the 6 hours that follow...and the very nature of deformation axes...that precip would almost certainly be snow. If you look at Eurowx's snow map...it handles that precipitation axis more efficiently.

Granted...the strength and closing of the 500 mb low really benefits areas further N/E as it continues to organize...but Memphis is getting a decent snow if you read between the lines of the Euro. It's similar to the GFS to where things are just getting going though as it moves through this region so the corridor of snowfall is much more narrow with a sharper gradient defined. If a phase could occur even 6 hours earlier...the implications would be pretty great.

At this moment I'm cautiously optimistic in *some* snow potential for the metro with this event but there are a lot of uncertainties. Just as a slightly earlier phase could be really beneficial...just as likely at this stage is a later phase or different track that moves everybody's excitement today back to a place of sadness...lol.

Here's the Eurowx snow map. That's 3-5, maybe pushing 6 in the metro. Good googly moogly at Clarksville over the next 5 days!

* Recent Posts

November 2020
by BRUCE
[Today at 09:44:03 AM]
December 2020
by dwagner88
[Today at 09:21:51 AM]
2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by schneitzeit
[Today at 08:16:53 AM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by schneitzeit