* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: 24/7 TV Weather Wars  (Read 9086 times)

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: 24/7 TV Weather Wars
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »
The only time I've caught myself watching TWC is during a high-impact weather event like a hurricane or a tornado outbreak.  I care not for winter-weather event coverage or the naming of storms or their version of "reality TV".  I've got DirectTV, but to be honest, I've flipped over to Weather Nation maybe twice, and didn't stay too long.  I know where to get my weather coverage, and TWC/WN aren't it. 

I'd also like to add, my coverage has flipped from TWC to one of the various cable news outlets for tornado event coverage, also.  It seems like those guys are the first to get video from the impacted area anyways.  I wil say, though, that the two or three figureheads at TWC make it tolerable to watch (Bettes, Forbes, and Cantore)...all those other windbags they have bring nothing to the table.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:18:02 PM by Eric »
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Memphis Weather

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
WeatherNation's problem is it doesn't have the live capability of TWC...even if/when TWC prefers taped programming. I've watched them and have seen times where they're referencing severe weather warnings that have already expired...and that is a HUGE problem IMO...worse than TWC not being on the air during severe weather to be honest.

Anyway...some TWC staff has resorted to some very below-the-belt personal attacks against WeatherNation and their staff...primarily on twitter. Some of the stuff I've seen is truly reprehensible and sad...considering WN is not even part of this and shouldn't be a target.

We all know DirecTV and TWC will eventually come to terms...and usually with these disputes it ends up sooner rather than later. What I'll be interested in is the status of WN after TWC returns...and then we can look forward (or not) to the end of the year when Accuweather begins their network.

Memphis Weather

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
Sorry for the double post...but if there's one thing I hate on 24/7 networks...it's when they fill tickers with crap...often from random twitter people that have no relevance whatsoever.

Well I decide to turn on TWC and what do I see...their ticker is filled with twitter replies from random people talking about how upset they are DirecTV has turned them off. Moreover...they're putting these in headers like "Stormy East" and "Cold Blast". WTH?

TWC is being so childish about this...

Offline @NashSevereWx

• Severe Thunderstorm
    • @NashSevereWx
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 12:57:17 PM »
TWC's biggest mistake is even mentioning their competition. They're using their platform to promote competition, and are seen as petty and immature in the process. Double whammy.

People are getting their weather from inet/phones more and more. Don't really see the need to rush to quadruple the number of wx-only stations.
Nowcasting Severe Weather
Davidson & Williamson Counties
@NashSevereWx on Twitter
NashSevereWx.com on the web

Memphis Weather

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
LOL

Memphis Weather

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 04:06:47 PM »
Glad they are finally getting rid of TWC. Biggest joke of a channel ever imo.

They will be back on DirecTV. Even though the graphic above says negotiations are "over". They will be back. This is big corporate stuff and once the $$ works out it will be like it never happened...

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
Yeah- I remember a few years ago when Comcast went toe to toe with some network (don't remember who) over contract disputes.  They wouldn't carry the network, and customers were up in arms about it.  This may have been when networks started broadcasting in HD.

It's all about posturing and seeing who blinks first, but it inevitably gets worked out.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:34:19 PM by Thundersnow »

Offline xuxa999

• Sunny
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »
It looks like it is not going to work out for TWC this time, the opinions on TWC's own facebook page are heavily pro Directv. 

Memphis Weather

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
It looks like it is not going to work out for TWC this time, the opinions on TWC's own facebook page are heavily pro Directv.

Perhaps they'll look at this and come out with a better perspective on how they should be doing things. I'm not optimistic at all for that...but you never know.

Even in the NBC-owned era...TWC has had areas of greatness when they had the appropriate focus. They had some banner coverage in 2011...their 4/27 stuff is probably among the best live hours they've ever done. If they wanted to return to that...they could in a minute. I just don't think they care to.

Once Cantore and Forbes are gone (and I suspect it won't be far far away)...things will be even further down for them unless you count Bettes and a few of their experts who are indeed good. That said...I'd still take people like Paul Kocin, John Scala and of course the incredible and late John Hope any day of the week.

Offline xuxa999

• Sunny
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »
Their problem is when there are no weather events, which is a bulk of their time, the ratings probably drop off to nothing. That is why they are trying the reality shows.  Exactly like MTV dropping the music videos and going reality. The model that worked, prior to the internet becoming the main source for weather as it is now, doesn't work anymore and the economic model has to change and in the case of the TWC will probably be the end of the network as it is now.

Offline ServoCrow

• TNWX Supporter
  • Supercell
  • Location: Hardin County, KY with a satellite office in Rutherford County, TN
    • Happy and HoliDAZED -- My Ebay Store
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »
When TWC first started...you know, back in the Cable Stone Age, I LOVE IT so much.  I watched it all the time.  When I moved to South Florida in 1991, I relied on it as I had no experience with hurricanes (changing a year later with Andrew).  I watched BOTH Jim Cantore on TWC and Bryan Norcross (who was on the local NBC affiliate in Miami) all the time.

Seeing what TWC has dropped down to in the last two decades has been disappointing.  To see my beloved Bryan Norcross (credited for saving MANY lives during his broadcasting during Andrew) on said network, makes me even sadder.  BUT...in the wise words of St. Neil Diamond, "Money talks....but it can't sing and dance and it can't walk."  Money cannot fix TWC either which has become no better than TRU-TV, and less entertaining.

I don't like DirectTV much, and TWC less than that. 
"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven...'cause it hasn't."
~Bugs Bunny, HAIR-RAISING HARE~

Offline DocB

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
To see my beloved Bryan Norcross (credited for saving MANY lives during his broadcasting during Andrew) on said network, makes me even sadder. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was born/raised in Fort Lauderdale till I got out in 1999 and Bryan's tireless efforts during Andrew left a lasting impression on me. Seeing him succumb to the hype of sensationalist news tactics on TWC however really damaged his credibility going forward with me. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he was taking tips from Rick Sanchez.

Offline ServoCrow

• TNWX Supporter
  • Supercell
  • Location: Hardin County, KY with a satellite office in Rutherford County, TN
    • Happy and HoliDAZED -- My Ebay Store
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was born/raised in Fort Lauderdale till I got out in 1999 and Bryan's tireless efforts during Andrew left a lasting impression on me. Seeing him succumb to the hype of sensationalist news tactics on TWC however really damaged his credibility going forward with me. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he was taking tips from Rick Sanchez.

::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::bacon:: ::bacon:: ::bacon:: ::bacon::
"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven...'cause it hasn't."
~Bugs Bunny, HAIR-RAISING HARE~

Offline @NashSevereWx

• Severe Thunderstorm
    • @NashSevereWx
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 12:14:50 PM »
"100% of our programming is LIVE when severe weather is happening."

False.

Nowcasting Severe Weather
Davidson & Williamson Counties
@NashSevereWx on Twitter
NashSevereWx.com on the web

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 10:14:46 PM »
How long before WeatherBell announces they are entering the fray?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

* Recent Posts

February 2020
by BRUCE