* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: 24/7 TV Weather Wars  (Read 9085 times)

Memphis Weather

24/7 TV Weather Wars
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
Honest question: Does anybody on this forum feel they have a need to watch TWC much (if at all) these days? Would a better alternative even change your mind?

By the end of this year we're going to have 4 choices for 24/7 weather information on television and streaming...

1) TWC - Which is having a contract dispute with DirecTV right now, which could lead to their signal being pulled later tonight. Lots of back and forth on that but as those things usually go, I suspect it won't last too long before all is back to normal. We all know what TWC has become these days, including their recent re-launch.

2) WeatherNation  - A small operation but slowly getting more traction in cable/satellite carriage, including DirecTV. Much more pure meteorology-focused and a good presentation but its lacking on live content which is problematic in big events.

3) Network Weather - Being launched by former TWCer's Dave Schwartz and Rich Johnson in October. Their early previews have a very amateurish quality in terms of graphics, etc. I don't see how they could compete to be honest (and may not get carriage at all) unless they do a lot of polishing of their product, though those are two names that bring lots of credibility.

4) And now this evening, because of the TWC/DirecTV dispute, Accuweather has made an early announcement that they are launching a 24/7 network in the third quarter (summer/early fall). I think it should go without saying what you'll be getting there.

So all this said, back to my question, does anybody here think they'd watch any of these? Is there really room for 4 networks dedicated to weather 24/7, especially since we're well into the internet/smartphone age? Would be curious if any others have any opinions...

Offline cd2play

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: 24/7 TV Weather Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »
Probably don't need TWC since half the time they have a show on about a weather event that happened years ago.  No disrespect towards some of those weather events, but there have been times we had storms approaching and I turned to TWC to get a heads up, only to find "How weather changed history", "weather caught on camera"  etc. 

Offline dabeddow

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »
Since they have relaunched they are awful. There is no live weather after about 7 pm unless there is a monster storm somewhere and I am way out in West Nashville and get Murfreesboro conditions for my "Local on the 8's". During a true weather emergency I tend to gravitate toward the local stations anyway.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:12:06 PM by dabeddow »

Memphis Weather

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:04:44 PM »
Per twitter...right at Midnight (EST) DirecTV took TWC off the air. As promised. They even took WeatherNation (which they were already carrying) and moved it to TWC's slot. Ouch!

Offline SuperCell

• Thunderstorm
    • Cannon County Storm Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »
Been watching Weather nation ever since I found it a few weeks ago. Refreshing to see wall to wall weather - TWC in the 80's and 90's....
Formerly known as VandyMachine...Up on the Highland Rim, where the weather is always more interesting!

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 631
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »
NBC lead to the demise of TWC

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:56:40 PM »
In this day and age it's hard for me to believe there's a market for even one 24/7 weather network.

Offline DocB

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 06:46:37 AM »
In this day and age it's hard for me to believe there's a market for even one 24/7 weather network.
I cut the cable 3 years ago in favor of an HD antenna and get all I need and more from local mets, here and other online sources, including my phone

Offline Greyhound

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »
I cut the cable 3 years ago in favor of an HD antenna and get all I need and more from local mets, here and other online sources, including my phone

Wife and I did the same thing back in September...and like you, I rely on weather info from local mets, NWS, from this site, as well as others.  We also got the Roku and are doing the wireless streaming where I first saw Weather Nation.  Haven't watched much to have an honest opinion either way, but I agree it's refreshing to see....THE WEATHER.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 09:00:05 AM »
I think it's telling- there have been times before when certain channels were not available on cable or satellite because of contract disputes or whatever the case, and there would be public outcry demanding the carriers pick up the channel the public wanted to see.

But, with this, I haven't heard any outcry other than from TWC itself.  It doesn't seem like anyone really cares, except for TWC.

Even on weather forums, no one is up in arms about it demanding that DirecTV put TWC back on. ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:03:00 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline a1star93

• TNWX Supporter
  • Shower
    • ChipTalks
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 09:21:01 AM »
TWC, an archaic channel.  I don't think I've seen "local on the 8's" in a decade.

I have to admit though, I do like all the historic events/shows that they air.  but they've fallen very far from their roots.
"Feel pride in how far you've come, and confidence in where you're going"

Offline jgosney

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 09:22:18 AM »
I have "Weather Nation" on my Roku and honestly I haven't turned on TWC in well over a year.  As others have said, WN is what TWC was back in the 90's before they became a weather movie and reality show channel.  As Kevin said, WN's only weakness is no live coverage of major events but if a major event is bearing down on Middle Tennessee, I'm usually watching live streaming of channel 2 or 4. 

Offline DocB

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
But, with this, I haven't heard any outcry other than from TWC itself.  It doesn't seem like anyone really cares, except for TWC.
IMO, they jumped the shark long ago, but naming winter storms just so they could tweet about it was the final nail for me.

Offline @NashSevereWx

• Severe Thunderstorm
    • @NashSevereWx
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »
TWC is must-watch TV when a TS or hurricane approaches; other than that, it's not a weather source. Upthread, cd2play put hammer to nail on the problem: when there is a local weather warning, TWC does not cover it.  TWC ignores the axiom: all weather is local. Now, if they want to put on compelling shows about weather, and be that network, that's fine, but they can't really be both. The canned programming isn't good enough, and the weather information is too infrequent. They should pick one or the other. DirecTV viewers can just hit one of the remote buttons and get a forecast faster than they could press 362 or whatever it is/was.
Nowcasting Severe Weather
Davidson & Williamson Counties
@NashSevereWx on Twitter
NashSevereWx.com on the web

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
For that matter, when a hurricane is bearing down, the cable news is just as good as TWC (if not better in some cases) with on location coverage of reporters being blasted by wind and rain on the beach.

* Recent Posts

February 2020
by mempho
[Today at 04:43:20 AM]
Come Check Out One of My Sub Reddits
by WXHD
[February 23, 2020, 08:17:59 PM]
Light Snow Event TN/GA/NC - Thursday 2/20/20
by Shocker0
[February 22, 2020, 03:56:25 PM]

Advertisement