Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Outbreak 2011 (April 25-28)  (Read 655856 times)

Offline RobD

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Re: **SWM** SevereWx 4/25-27
« Reply #2280 on: April 28, 2011, 08:20:19 AM »
When I last talked to my daughter last night, they were on emergency power with no internet or cable. Cell coverage is spotty, due to overloaded circuits and I'm sure damaged cell towers. The UA campus was so lucky. I'd hate to think of the numbers we'd be talking about today if the tornado had jogged a mile north and gone through campus during the last week of classes.

I don't often watch the news, but I flipped on the Weather Channel this morning since Cantore is in Tuscaloosa. Then I flip over to CNN to see a bunch of reporters in London talking with some nimwit in a pink shirt all aquiver over this stupid wedding. CNN's in Atlanta and GA got hit hard too! An embarassment

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2281 on: April 28, 2011, 08:21:14 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, a national tragedy occurred yesterday.  The combined death toll is now at 178 and likely still rising.

I turn on the TV fully expecting to see focused coverage of this, and the morning shows on the big three national networks are more interested in covering the royal wedding.

Really?

Says a lot about our society's values.  Think, I never even hear anything about Japan anymore.

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1786
« Reply #2282 on: April 28, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, a national tragedy occurred yesterday.  The combined death toll is now at 178 and likely still rising.

I turn on the TV fully expecting to see focused coverage of this, and the morning shows on the big three national networks are more interested in covering the royal wedding.

Really?

To he** with the Royal wedding and those who cover this fluff when hundreds are dead, and countless more are homeless this morning across the southeast U.S..  It's pure nonsense.  
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Memphis Weather

« Reply #2283 on: April 28, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »
ATTENTION

As this incredible severe weather and tornado outbreak comes to an end...the TennesseeWx Staff has decided to lift its Signifcant Weather Mode (SWM) effective at 1p Eastern/Noon Central Today.

However...we urge all members Today to please keep OT posts within this thread at a minimum as new reports of damage...death...and continued flooding across this state and others in the region come in. That said...please don't feel compelled to keep any comments or words you may have about these terrible events to yourself. It will surely be helpful to us all to speak openly about our thoughts and feelings after this dark period in American weather history.

Finally...we can't emphasize enough that many people in our region will need help in the days...weeks...and months to come. If you can...we urge all of you to please donate to the American Red Cross. Once Again...that website is www.redcross.org. That link is also on our home page.

Thank you to all members for your cooperation during SWM...it has been greatly appreciated.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 972
« Reply #2284 on: April 28, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
Since reading the tragic reports coming out of Alabama, Georgia, and east Tennessee, I've struggled with how to deal with it....how to cope with it.  The type of storms that Mother Nature produced yesterday are the magical elixir that quenches the addiction of every storm chaser/storm spotter out there.  Being a chaser/spotter, I realize the impact that these types of storms can have on families...but it doesn't make it hurt any less.  I've never seen the type of destruction unfold on live TV as I witnessed yesterday....homes destroyed, businesses obliterated, families torn apart never to be whole again.  

That last one is the one that I'm struggling with....families torn apart never to be whole again.  I don't know if I could live with myself if anything ever happened to my wife or my boys.  There are 194 victims - moms, dads, sons, daughters, wives - that won't be sitting at the family dinner table anymore.  The sad thing is, that number is sure to grow.  I keep asking myself, "Why did these people have to die?  Did the warning systems not work?  Did they not heed the warnings?".  Sadly, I'll never know the answers to these questions....

My heart goes out to everyone affected by the tragedy of yesterday.  My prayers go out to the families that have lost loved ones.  What unfolded across Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, and east Tennessee could have easily done so over middle Tennessee.  Thankfully, we were fortunate enough to have been spared...and we are able to have dinner with those that we hold the closest.  Let them know you love them...and remember those that won't be able to.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline Math/Met

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2285 on: April 28, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »
That storm in southern Greene County, Tn is bad!

I knew when I made this comment last night that the results would likely be very bad. Unfortunately, I was correct. The number of fatalities has risen to 6 in Greene County, and there are unconfirmed reports of 4 more according to the local paper.

Offline 10ec_dad

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2286 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
Eric, I can feel your pain and share in your troubled heart.

The thoughts that ran through my mind is that this concentrated event of death and destruction reminds us that we are all mortal. We, ultimately, are not in control of our lives or mortality. I am also reminded that the impact of death on families occurs everyday through cancer, drunk drivers, suicide, etc but with much less fanfare. It makes me step back, pray for all who suffer, and give thanks for what I have.

Offline ChrisPC

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2287 on: April 28, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »
Don't forget Mississippi. Most of these cells started there.   :'(

servocrow

« Reply #2288 on: April 28, 2011, 09:10:19 AM »
It

Memphis Weather

« Reply #2289 on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
FWIW...watching CNN and Fox News...I notice they are starting to spend a lot more time talking about the tornadoes then they were just an hour or two ago...I think they're finally starting to get an idea that this the story they need to be covering Today.

TWC meanwhile continues stellar coverage. This is definitely a shining moment for them...as it should be...a couple of years ago I don't know if that would have been the case.

Offline Scot

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 345
« Reply #2290 on: April 28, 2011, 09:25:05 AM »
The death toll keeps rising.  202 as of now per CNN, however, they only show 1 death for TN when according to the Tennesseean there are a confirmed 30 dead in TN.  This number is just going to continue to rise.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 972
« Reply #2291 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:42 AM »
Jumping back to science for a moment, never thought I'd be thanking crapvection for sticking around.  If it hadn't held strong yesterday.......I shudder to think what could've/would've happened.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Online DocB

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #2292 on: April 28, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »

servocrow

« Reply #2293 on: April 28, 2011, 09:37:09 AM »
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
845 AM CDT THU APR 28 2011

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

...NWS STORM SURVEY CREWS WILL EXAMINE DAMAGE IN SEVERAL
LOCATIONS TODAY...

STRAIGHT LINE WINDS AND POSSIBLE TORNADOES HAVE CAUSED
SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE IN SEVERAL LOCATIONS ACROSS MIDDLE TENNESSEE
DURING THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS.

THE NWS WILL BE DISPATCHING STORM SURVEY TEAMS TO EXAMINE
AS MUCH DAMAGE AS POSSIBLE TODAY. HOWEVER...SURVEYING THE DAMAGE
REPORTED TO THIS POINT COULD POSSIBILY TAKE AT LEAST TWO DAY
S...WE
WILL PROVIDE UPDATES REGARDING THE PROGRESS OF OUR SURVEY TEAMS...AND
WILL ISSUE FINDINGS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I suspect ALL offices will be running a little thin in the coming week or so.

Memphis Weather

« Reply #2294 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »
Not surprisingly...survey experts and engineers from all over the country will be descending on the South in the days to come to participate in survey efforts. This will NOT be simply a local WFO staff survey in most cases (though of course they will be heavily involved). It will be days...if not weeks...to fully scope out the number and intensity of tornadoes that have actually occurred.

March 2021
by David
[Today at 02:14:38 PM]
Mid-March 2021 Cold/Wintry Chances (week of 3/15) Severe vs Winter Epic Battle Month
by schneitzeit
[Today at 01:27:18 PM]
Winter 2020-2021 Fame and Infamy Candidates!
by StormNine
[March 06, 2021, 03:09:26 PM]
March 3, 2020 Tornado Outbreak
by mamMATTus
[March 05, 2021, 09:50:14 PM]
BloomSky Weather Stations
by ryandourius
[March 05, 2021, 02:05:17 AM]